Options

Another holding tank heating thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,536
    Now to test those temperatures driving down the road.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    SAM said:
    Now to test those temperatures driving down the road.
    There should be only a slight difference. Wind and wind chill have know effect on  inanimate objects. That is to say if you have a bottle of water and the temperature is 34* with a wind chill of 24* it will not freeze. If a liquid is in constant motion it will freeze at an even lower temp than 32*. It's a mater of keeping the underbelly as air tight as possible so the heat can not  escape.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes but wouldn't you agree that moving air will push the warm "blanket" of air away from the surface of the Tab more quickly than still air? 
    We drove with the Alde 'on' one (very cold) winter day (5° above), and were amazed at how quickly the water dripping out of the faucet froze into a stalactite. The AC vent was sealed, but I think there are many leaks in the Tab at 55mph.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Correct that's why I added as much insulation as would fit, and the  corrugated plastic has some but not much  insulating factor. If it gets cold enough nothing we'll be effective I guess. Thanks for your input it's been a fun  discussion.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Dalehelman, How's the new heater set-up working? Better in the colder weather you went through?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Hard to tell. Our Alde was struggling to maintain 50*. It was running 24 hours. I am not sure what was going on . We did experience single didgit temps most of the way.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Dalehelman, Have you checked your Alde fluid [antifreeze]? Single digit temps are hard for even the best of heaters. My pellet stove comes on about every 30 minutes or so in the house & it's set at 68*. Might have to get another ton delivered if this keeps up. Haven't had a high of over the teens in 2 weeks. Hope you hit warmer temps pretty quick! be safe out there! Are Jim & Vicky still with you?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Dalehelman, my Alde was running most of the time when I hit 25*, so I don't think your experience is any different than what I experienced. Last year, I did have to add Glycol while I was in AZ. I have some if you need it when you get down this way. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, not unusual for the Alde to run alot at those temps - Went thru a tank of propane in 7-10 days the last time I was in freezing range temps.