Options

Alaska Planning-Appreciate advice!

Hi Folks,

After a great 15,000 miles on my 2013 Q Max t@b in 2016 (Syracuse area to Jekyl Island, Georgia, to Nova Scotia, around the 5 Great lakes, Arizona/NM, Utah, Adirondacks), have convinced my wife that we are ready to plan and experience a trip to Alaska (warm-up plans for 2017 trips: Arizona, NM, Utah, Montana-in 2016 we spent two weeks in Banff/Jasper area). We plan for Alaska in summer 2018. We just upgraded with a new Tow Vehicle, a Toyota 4-Runner, with that trip in mind.  I searched a little without a lot of success on this forum for T@b specific journals/blogs or Alaska experiences/recommendations.  I know from Tearstock that there are several who have done the trip and saw some photos over a glass or two of wine which clinched the decision to do it.  We likely will try to "take our time" and move each day as inspired....Have the latest Milepost which I am digesting, as it clearly is the guide. Have a million questions, and appreciate input for what may likely be the one and only Alaska trip, for which we will allocate about 8 weeks from Syracuse (or am I fooling myself?), which is about all we can get in one stretch. We travel with an easy, always leashed dog...

Initial thoughts are that the ferry up the Inside Passage is to be part of the experience one way; perhaps coming back, so as to have hit the highlights of Alaska in June? Thoughts on returning from Alaska to Bellingham on the Alaska ferry system; how much of the ferry route "can't be missed-from Anchorage (Whittier), or Juneau?"  We will likely try to minimize rough road driving as we can (which I presume means skipping the Dalton and Dempster highway "reaches", love seeing as much of the wild dramatic high mountain ranges as is accessible, and the chance to see wildlife. We have to ultimately get back to Syracuse.

Thanks for any tips; times that need to be budgeted minimum to enjoy portions of the trip; jewels of side trip camping that make the trip what it is, likely experience of costs..Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Daveincaz, if you go to the Little Guy forum, request membership, you will find tips from @Michigan_Mike , @Gregorio and Tom and others who have made the trip together in the Little Guy teardrops. There is another member...Captain something or other, I think. Do some searching and reading. Mike, Greg and Tom are still on the forum so they should be able to answer questions. Mike is here, too, but has been busy with family stuff.  Greg is a member here also...we'll see if he answers this post after being tagged by me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We did the trip from Michigan in 2013 in a teardrop before owning our T@B.   Send me a PM and I'd be happy to share the journal I kept of our eight week trip.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    I drove from Southern California to Alaska last summer.  (Didn't own a Tab yet.)  Camped in Denali for 4 days, flew out to Glacier Bay for a few days. Drove the Dalton to the Arctic Circle for a "day trip".  I took the Ferry back from Haines, AK to Bellingham.  The ferry was expensive, but spectacular fun in every way.  I have a bunch of photos up on Google Photos and I'll share the link later. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2016
    there's also a lady on FB t@da,t@b and t@g camper trailer owners, phyllis burtch porter who travelled to Alaska, great reports, I believe it was a t@g?, you're testing my memory...ugh!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    j_ntabownersj_ntabowners Member Posts: 133

Many years ago, I helped a friend move from Eastern Oregon to Ketchikan, Alaska. We entered Canada north of Bellingham, WA took the trans-Canada hwy (1) to the Cariboo-hwy 97 to Prince George, then took Hwy 16 to Prince Rupert where we caught the Alaskan Ferry into Ketchikan.  The scenery was spectacular. Unfortunately we were in a hurry, because my friend had to start her new job within the week of moving. So didn't get a chance to really enjoy the trip, but it's on my bucket list of things to do again at a more leisurely pace and with the t@b. 

Jim & Nadine 2015 T@b Max S pulled by 2016 KIA Sorento - East Wenatchee, Wa

States Visited Map

• Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    very much interested to learn more here.
    ... and we also plan the trip to Alaska from Houston in 2018
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We are planning this trip for June 2017, from Spokane WA, and will post something upon our return. 
    We priced ferry ride back to Bellingham via the on-line ferry site, entered length of TV and T@B, and choked a little on the $4500 fee.  Perhaps a phone call would result in a lower price...  
    We understand you can camp on deck, but not sure if you can camp in T@B if it is below.
    Don't miss N. Cascades Hiway 20 if you wind up in B'ham on your way home. 
    Kim and Mary Kay
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Sounds like an amazing trip! The inland passage ride is beautiful, too! You are also warmly invited to join other T@B/T@DA owners from the Spokane area at our monthly breakfast, second Saturday each month, 9:30am at Perkins off Division downtown just south of the river. We had 13 last month, and meet again this coming Saturday 1/14/17. We will be the talkative group in the back room. :-)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Vikings said:
    We are planning this trip for June 2017, from Spokane WA, and will post something upon our return. 
    We priced ferry ride back to Bellingham via the on-line ferry site, entered length of TV and T@B, and choked a little on the $4500 fee.  Perhaps a phone call would result in a lower price...  
    We understand you can camp on deck, but not sure if you can camp in T@B if it is below.
    Don't miss N. Cascades Hiway 20 if you wind up in B'ham on your way home. 
    Kim and Mary Kay
    We traveled over a thousand miles on the Alaska Marine Highway, otherwise known as the ferry system, and it is true that some folks camp on deck, although not all of the ships in the system lend themselves to camping on deck.  There is no sleeping allowed below deck in your RV, or even visiting your unit while the ferry is underway.   We chose to take the ferry from Haines in the north to Prince Rupert in the south, making several stops along the way, and camping at each of those stops.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    I rode the ferry from Haines to Bellingham this summer (without a Tab).  Pets were allowed, but had to be left in the vehicles below decks.  Several times a day the pet's owners were allowed to go down to their vehicles and walk or care for them.  I didn't have a pet, but the crew members had no problem with me visiting my SUV to drag out various things, and the night before we docked I stowed my luggage away. 

It was a tremendously fun ride.  It cost me 2500 bucks for just me and my 16 foot vehicle.  It would have been less expensive if I could have booked a smaller cabin, since I was only able to get a 4 person cabin.  Lots of people "camped" on the deck, but most of them seemed to be going from port to port. 
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    pebblesporterpebblesporter Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2017
    I went to Alaska August 1st thru October 1st 2016 with my T@b, dog and cat.   Check out my blog at www.pporter.net     Phyllis Burtch Porter

• Options
    Great blog!  And to be able to drive yourself all the way out to Wonder Lake!  Wow!

2017 Outback
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Was your kitty Oreo, inside the trailer only for the trip, or did you have her on a leash outside, occasionally?
  • Options
    SandiegogalSandiegogal Member Posts: 127
    Don't know if this is helpful but I found this blog site posted on a T@B FB site: http://www.pporter.net/

Living in our Airstream, traveling in our 2017 T@B Basic S 
    Married to Dave-aka, ds@work
  • Options
    pebblesporterpebblesporter Member Posts: 10
    jdargis, my kitty never goes outside.   She is a inside kitty.  She was in a kennel in my vehicle when I traveled and when I got to campgrounds, I would put her inside the T@b.    My dog Burrito when outside on a leash with me frequently, but if I went on a hike or something he stayed inside the T@b also.
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    We lived in AK for 13 years and took our RV all over.  The Dalton is a must.  BUT, plan carefully and read the mileposts for suggestions.  Cover front grill, headlights, and tab window as they WILL get cracked from truck rocks.  Mosquito spray for you and many candles to surround your campsight, again a must.  Roads are much better now but when they say  "frost heave" they mean it!  Denali is great.  Homer is a delight. 
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    drpprmt said:
     Cover front grill, headlights, and tab window as they WILL get cracked from truck rocks.  

I just replaced my front window and it was a major hassle. I'd like to protect it while on the highway. How did you cover yours?
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    I picked up a roll of some type of small wire mesh material, held it away from the window about 4in with foam and duct tape it tight around the edges.  Covered the grill opening and headlights the same way.  Rocks probably are not the same problem now on the Alcan.  I think it is paved all the way.  They were thinking about paving the Dalton but I don't know if that has been completed.  The current Milepost is your best friend while traveling anyplace in AK. 
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The Alaska Highway is paved all the way, and an easy ride.  Keep your eyes out for the frost heaves, which will rattle your teeth.  Maintenance happens mostly in the summer, so there can be delays waiting for pilot vehicles, etc.

The Dalton is not paved, except for some small stretches, and those parts are  potholed, so you really have to pay attention.  I made the 400 miles or so from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle and back in 12 hours on a perfectly nice 72 degree day.  As dirt roads go, it was better than I thought it was going to be.  Just don't get complacent......it was a very interesting day, and I'm quite happy to have made it to the Circle.   Pro tip:  I stopped alongside the big tourist sign to take the standard tourist photo, and had a nice talk with one of the tour drivers.  She was very helpful, and said she would talk to the various truck drivers going back and forth to Prudhoe to "be on the lookout".  They all know the pitfalls, and everyone looks out for each other.  Despite the legendary warnings about the Dalton, there were vehicles of every description on it.  (The bottom photo shows how the dirt surface is hardened , and I can't remember the name of the chemical used.)   Google maps has the entire route on Streetview, if you want to take a look.  

2017 Outback
  • Options
    This is probably the most remarkable trip you can take.  We pulled off the road on night (? light all night long!) and woke up completely surrounded by a herd of caribou.  We have a picture wading between floating ice in Prudoe bay.  If carefully planned it is a must do trip.