Options

Ready for New Adventures

dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
I finally was able to pick up my 2017 T@b Max S today. (no name yet) An exciting experience to be sure, but I am also realizing that I still have so much more to learn. Get ready for a few dozen questions as I begin wading through this mountain of manuals. The drive back from Huntsville to Tuscaloosa was great! I understand now what you all mean when you refer to the handling characteristics of the T@b while towing. It was wonderful. No sway, it was rock steady the whole way. I am disappointed in the gas mileage of my Ford Escape 2.0 (14.5 mpg) while towing, but driving in the cold air and winter fuel blends will knock down the mileage some. Any bits of advice from you Ford Escape folks? I was keeping it to 60-65 mph. Learning to back up is another thing altogether. I wasn't very successful in my practice session today, but I did manage to pull it in to my driveway facing forward, unhitching, and swinging the camper around and pushing it into the carport. Speaking of the carport, I apologize for the photo quality. I forgot to take the pics before I backed it in. Anyway, thanks to you all for your invaluable help and information. I will continue to rely on your technical advice and great conversation. See you all soon on the road. Now on to the mods!   Dave

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Congratulations.

That mileage is about what you can expect while towing it with an escape, it is about what I get at about the same speeds.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic said:
    Congratulations.

That mileage is about what you can expect while towing it with an escape, it is about what I get at about the same speeds.
    Okay, I feel better about that now. Do you find that traveling state highways at 55 mph is any more effective than the interstate?

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Congrats and ask away...
    I rarely travel interstates unless that's really the only option betwenn A and B. Like crusing at 55-60 and not being run over by the faster traffic. 55-60 would probably help with gas mileage but not too much. With my Jeep I just plan on 14.
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    It's beautiful and congratulations!  I really like the new refrigerator front and the side port window.  I have a 6 cyl Toyota Tacoma and on the trip to pick up my camper I got 24-25 mpg without the T@B and 15 mpg towing, at the same speeds.  I took it out for the first trip a week ago and had to back into a space. It was really a terrible job of backing!  Honestly bad.   (I swear, the degree of badness is directly proportional to the number of people around and it was bad enough with only one person patiently waiting on me so he could drive by.) Turned out that the campground, which is only about 35 miles from my house, is at a higher elevation and there was some snow and a great amount of mud.....the thought of my dogs and me tracking in a lot of mud dissuaded me from the maiden voyage so I came home.....and was able to back into the spot without much trouble...no one else around of course. That night, I was perfectly happy camping in the driveway and watching a movie on a portable dvd player.  B). I'm going to practice backing in a large parking lot nearby. The flash drive that came in the care package was supposed to have the manual but it was blank. I called and spoke with Elsie at PV and she emailed the manual.  Have a great time setting everything up!
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    Wow! That's a beauty! Congratulations! I also got 13-14 with my Dodge Durango at 65 mph. Way down from the 25 I get without towing anything.
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    Congrats and welcome to "the family"!  We took possession of our T@B early October.  We towed it around the neighborhood and did our first outing in the driveway (great idea by ericnliz)... So can't comment on mileage.  We can comment on the fun we had!  Can't wait for our first trip away from home.  Right now it is snugly tucked into our garage out of the subzero temps and snow we currently have in Spokane, dreaming of many outings and making great memories.  Great pics... Keep us posted on your outings... I think we all live vicariously thru each other's stories!  :-) 
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Is it just me, or does the cabinet below the fridge look larger now?  And with the new fridge vents, can that cabinet actually be fully used?  (I believe you used to have to leave room for a vent that was located in there).

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    And nice T@bby-port to park it in! I was just pondering a similar structure over breakfast--I've already raked the snow off mine three times and we're barely into January!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HR_Taly said:
    Is it just me, or does the cabinet below the fridge look larger now?  And with the new fridge vents, can that cabinet actually be fully used?  (I believe you used to have to leave room for a vent that was located in there).

I will try to post a photo today of the cabinet under the fridge.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I think that is a new model of fridge that is being used in the 400. IIRC it is only 2-way, is that correct?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited January 2017
    dmerzbac, Congrats & that is one fine lookin' parking shelter for your T@B. [Nice photos by the way!] I like your choices of having the Outback platform, the porthole window in the bath area & the side access door. Appears to still be the 3-way fridge with improved venting and access to me. I would camp right where she sits for a couple times. If you have access to shore power, plug 'er in,, don't know your location, so I can't comment on the city water hook-up, but if weather allows, I give that a shot also. Play with everything, more than once, try different settings on the Alde, get used to it's features and settings. Turn on the stereo & dance around! You waited long enough, enjoy it now! Questions will come, and don't be afraid to ask. Best the to do is make a list of the things you're unsure of, and ask away! Most important thing...now that you have 'er home...HAVE FUN! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    HR_Taly said:

Not sure if the size is the same or not, but here is a pic of the inside of that cabiniet under the refrig. Hope the pic is okay.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    ericnliz, Thank you!  Sounds like you might have a little experience in this area. I definitely plan on taking your suggestions. I will have to wait a little longer on the water since it's supposed to be in the low twenties to teens over the next three or four nights. In Alabama?  It came winterized from the factory and will stay that way a little longer. I've enjoyed the comments about the carport, but that is were the TV will reside. After everyone's comments about the shelter, I may have to build another one in the backyard! But for now, the T@b stays in the carport. Now to think of a name!

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I'm loving your pics and enthusiasm! Keep it coming. (I'm taking notes!) Somewhere here someone suggested trying out the black and gray water tanks including dumping using hose water in your yard till you get the hang of it. Much easier than goofing up with the real thing! Of course, winter needs to warm up for both of us! Our MaxS is being shipped now!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    A practice at dumping is a good idea. Out in the real world, just when you get ready to dump, two big rigs pull in and now you feel pressured. Not good if you've never done it before.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited January 2017
    dmerzbac said:
    Cyclonic said:
    Congratulations.

Okay, I feel better about that now. Do you find that traveling state highways at 55 mph is any more effective than the interstate?
    I have no idea whether mileage is better but interstate travel is much less stressful.

Last summer we took a road trip to Maine, intending to travel the back roads. We didn't even make it to New Hampshire before reverting to the Garmin's guidance, which routed us onto interstates. If you use back roads the onus is on whoever is doing the navigating to make sure the driver never makes a mistake. It was much nicer to let DH get mad at the Garmin when things didn't go perfectly.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    Hear hear to letting the driver get mad at the Garmin!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Homebodyatheart, Fantastic! I know you can't wait! As soon as we get some consistently warmer weather, I will be hooking up the hose and trying out the gray and black water tanks as you suggested.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Photomom said:
    dmerzbac said:
    Cyclonic said:
    Congratulations.

I have no idea whether mileage is better but interstate travel is much less stressful.

Last summer we took a toad trip to Main, intending to travel the back roads. We didn't even make it to New Hampshire before reverting to the Garmin's guidance, which routed us onto interstates. If you use back roads the onus is on whoever is doing the navigating to make sure the driver never makes a mistake. It was much nicer to let DH get mad at the Garmin when things didn't go perfectly.

Well, if you did get lost, it would be just another great adventure!  :-)

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Dmerzbac, the kicker is we can't bring it home yet. One, too much snow. Two, our contractor hasn't poured the concrete between the driveway and the T@bpad(the original one car garage we fixed up for the T@b. Electricity comes later.) For some reason he thought it was coming later in the year and took on someone's roofing job then winter hit. We seem to have communication issues, but the work he did is outstanding! And the price was good. The dealer will store her for us till we can bring her home. And I can visit. :-) In the meantime I enjoy others stories and pics, keep 'em coming!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    dmerzbac, The adventure IS the fun of it all! I look at it this way: If we get lost, and we have the T@B, we REALLY don't need to worry about a place to stay until we can get back on the right track! :)
    Homebodyatheart, I think your scenario is just a contractor thing, not a lack of communication. This time of year, they grab the work they can while they can. A good friend of mine is going through the same thing with some renovations on his house & a contractor right now, so don't feel like you're in this alone! Be glad you have a safe place to keep it until you're READY to bring it home! ;)  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf