Options

Toyota 4Runner hitch drop

Hi all, I just got a new tow vehicle for my Tab—a 2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited. With 20" wheels, this vehicle is significantly higher than my previous vehicle. Looks like I need to drop the hitch about 7"-8".  Before I start the trial and error process of buying parts, has anyone already figured this out? Is it better to go with an adjustable hitch, or get the one that is sized properly? I'm towing a 2016 CS-S. Thanks!
Gainesville, FL

Comments

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Unless someone has exactly that vehicle with those same tires, I think you might have to use trial and error. As I recall, height should be 16" from ground to top of ball. That worked for me.....
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We have a 2012 TRD Off Road Tacoma, 16" wheels, tow package.  I got a hitch that gave me 16" to the top of the ball...WRONG!  Early last year I noticed a lot of bucking while towing, and that the T@B was a little high in front...so I put on a lower drop hitch to get the T@B towing close to level.  WOW...what a difference that made in smoothness (and safety) of towing.  Do what ever it takes to get the T@B level behind the TV.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Hi all, I just got a new tow vehicle for my Tab—a 2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited. With 20" wheels, this vehicle is significantly higher than my previous vehicle. Looks like I need to drop the hitch about 7"-8".  Before I start the trial and error process of buying parts, has anyone already figured this out? Is it better to go with an adjustable hitch, or get the one that is sized properly? I'm towing a 2016 CS-S. Thanks!
    A 7-8" drop? I think that maybe too much. I have a mid-sized pickup and only need a 4" drop. You want to be 16" from ground to the top of the ball for the camper tongue to be level. I wish you were closer to me, I have an array of hitches from over the years. My adjustable hitch weighs a ton, btw (ok 48# - solid metal). A U-haul place could easily tell you what drop you'll need. Remember you need a 2" ball.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My Jeep has 18" and the drop is probably 3-4". I have an adjustable in case I need to tow something else. 16's the magic number.
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    edited January 2017

Yep, my TV requires a 7 inch adjustable hitch to attain a level t@b...also can adjust as load in my truck drops rear end....loving this hitch... swivels out of way to protect your shins also....lol.

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Keep in mind too that some web sites (etrailer for example) suggest measurements should be taken from the bottom of the ball mount instead of the top, for some reason.

If you measure this way, the hitch should be about 14 inches from the ground.  This actually threw me off the first time.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    I camp many nights at rest stops...also pull thru campsites that I never unhook my TV for days...if you've ever slept in your T@B with the level off an inch or so...inside the angle is uncomfortable...an adjustable hitch enables you to keep it level at all times...