Options

Stand Alone GPS...

2»

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    It's not the flight, it's the sudden stop that I don't like! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    No, you're thinking of Orienteering, which uses maps, compasses, and landmarks. Or possibly Letterboxing which uses landmarks.

Geocaching was only made possible in May 2000 when President Clinton discontinued "selective availability" so that military geopositioning satellites could be used by ordinary people. Geocaching is based on GPS receivers and the internet.

Oh, there is also Waymarking, which uses the internet, GPS receivers and landmarks.

So many pastimes, so little time.
    Wow!!! I didn't know about all of those. I knew there was a monumental time when GPS' could be accurate within a few yards rather than a few miles. Does Letterboxing involve the use of stamping a little book hidden? One I read leaves little trinkets. Off course, my sister plays the modern day version - pokenmon chasing lololol. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VermonsterVermonster Member Posts: 80
    Photomom, wish I could do everything they do on TV!  That said, I'm sure that cell phone triangulation can be quite good in urban areas, not so much in remote areas.  

The reality is is that the best accuracy you can expect from any civilian handheld gps unit is 10 meters, and cell phones can easily achieve that.  For reasons I don't know an iPhone uses cell tower triangulation as the primary and reverts to the GPS receiver as its secondary position fixing.  Apple in its wisdom doesn't see fit to allow the user to know what you are actually using. 

Enough of that.  I must have cabin fever!!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    iPhones also use wifi databases. Think it references all three and calculates from there - At least that's always been my understanding.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    iPhones also use wifi databases. Think it references all three and calculates from there - At least that's always been my understanding.
    I wonder if that's why I end up in a mall when I wanted to get to a gas station.