Options

Battery Maintenance Charging in Cold Weather Questions

Following  PXLated's example, I just purchased a NOCO Genius G7200 (V2.0) battery charger. I store my original AGM battery in-place in the battery box of the T@B which is now covered (including the battery/propane bin) with a  Classic Accessories Overdrive Polypro 3 R-Pod Trailer Cover - 16'.  (I posted a comment on this in "T@B Covers" in this blog)

Last winter I kept shore power on the T@B and let the WFCO unit do the job of keeping a maintenance charge on the battery. However, after reading a lot of entries on this blog I decided this could shorten the WFCO and/or battery life and since I have since installed a battery disconnect switch and hooked up a cheap battery maintenance unit.

My intension was to place the NOCO Genius in the bin to maintain the battery over the winter as I was concerned that the cheap battery maintainer I had been using would not do the whole charging process on an AGM battery.

Upon receiving the Genius and reading the User Guide, I was surprised to see that it's operating range is between 0 degrees and 40 degrees C or between 32 degrees and 104 degrees F! This seems a pretty narrow range. We have been down below 32 degrees here in Southern Minnesota for over a month now and we have several more months of winter!

Has anyone had experience with maintenance charging in the winter with this charger and will I have to take the battery inside the house to maintain it?

Minnesota Fergie

Comments