Options

Ball Hitch vs Load Distribution Hitch

sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

More advice needed,

We currently tow our Little Guy with a 2" ball hitch. Our vehicle's owner manual ( 2011 Toyota 4 Runner ) requires a load distribution hitch ( LDH ) for trailers with a GVWR of over 2000 lb. Does anyone here with a T@B  use a LDH?  T@B specs show their dry weight is about 1700 lbs. while GVWR is about 2800 lbs.

That means payload is about 1100 lbs. That's a lot of stuff.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I am trying to answer a similar question. I would like to know if there is any downside to using a WDH with a lighter trailer. I like the idea of greater control for towing and most weight distribution hitches also have sway control. In doing some research on the web I did find WDHs that are specifically for lighter trailers. Have a look at the Reese product line. I also noted that it is important not to oversize the hitch as one that is designed for a greater load than towed will result in too much stiffness.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    eTrailer.com would be a wonderful
    place to get answers for these hitches. They do have an on-line chat or their phone number is listed on their website. Please tell us what you find out. Good luck.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited September 2014
    I am also researching the same question. I have a T@DA (dry weight of 2146, full loaded weight of 3300 lbs). I also just switched from a tow vehicle with a 6,000 lb towing capacity to one with a 3,500 lb capacity. I figure there is no way my T@DA weighs more than 2700 or 2800 lbs. I agree that 1100 pounds is a whole lotta cargo! I think that number is determined by the axle rating and is simply the max that the trailer can safely carry. Even with my BMW X5 (previous tow vehicle with the beefier 6,000 lb towing capacity), my very experienced service shop recommended a weight distribution hitch. My rear tires were wearing out much more quickly than the front. Please do let us know what your research yields. I'll do the same. Right now I am distracted with other life stuff, but this is high on my list of fun things to address!
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    There is no logical reason that 446 lbs difference in trailer weight could necessitate 1500 to 2500 lbs more towing capacity. I'll just respectfully disagree. If you research, you'll find typical recommendations of 10-20% safety margin. My safety margin is greater than 20%.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I have never felt the need for a WDH with my T@B.  I have a 2,400 towing capacity with my Subaru Forester, and the T@B has always been very stable behind me, towing both on hilly, curvy roads at altitudes of 8,000-9,000 feet and just last weekend, on I-25 at 60 mph with 15 mph cross-winds.  NO PROBLEM for the T@B.  She is a dream.   ;;)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

Here's a response to my question from etrailer.com.

Thank you for asking the following question:

We currently tow a Little Guy trailer very small tear  trailer  GVRW is about 1000 lbs. with a 2inch ball hitch. Tow Vehicle is a 2011 Toyota 4 Runner with a tow capacity of 5000 lbs and tongue weight of 500 lbs.

Were considering buying a bigger T@B trailer with a GVWR of about 2800 lbs. T@B dry weight  will be about 1700 lbs. Do you think we will need a load distributing/sway hitch?  Toyota owners manual states to use one if trailer exceeds 2000 lbs. If you recommend one which hitch would you recommend

You asked a great question, so I made an answer page for you with additional information. You can see it here:

http://www.etrailer.com/question-93787.html?fb=yes

If you have any other questions please call 1-800-298-8924 to speak to one of our Customer Service representatives.

Thank You,

Jameson C

http://www.etrailer.com

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I like eTrailer's personal response.  Does this help you?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Our tow vehicle is is rated for 3500 lb. and were extremely interested in just were we stood against that with our T@B considering it's options and gear stowed.  At the end of weekend camping trip we stopped by a truck stop that has a scale and weighed in.  We had drained both the fresh and grey water tanks.  The trailer less hitch weight was about 1750 lb.  One of these days I intend to get out the bathroom scales to check the hitch weight.  If memory serves it cost about $25 to do this.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner