Options

OPTIMA batteries?

Waiting to take delivery on our CS-S in March/April.  Have a chance to get an Optima battery.  Anyone have experience with them?  So many yellow top models.  What is a good one to get?  I have someone who would buy the factory battery to offset the cost.
Norm and Leslie. NJ. 2017 CS S. TV. JEEP Grand Cherokee

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    I have a pair of Optima Blue Top D31M that are beginning their seventh season in our 2009 DM CS.  Very happy with them.  Absolutely no maintenance the whole time.  That model fit the original (interior) battery box.

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    They're low maintenance, but they also have low capacity.  Their group 24 has only 55 ah, where a typical flooded interstate of the same size and a third the price holds 80 ah.  All depends on your priorities. ;)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited January 2017
    Waiting to take delivery on our CS-S in March/April.  Have a chance to get an Optima battery.  Anyone have experience with them?  So many yellow top models.  What is a good one to get?  I have someone who would buy the factory battery to offset the cost.
    Just a note, last I knew the factory does not ship the units with a battery, that is provided by the dealer.

I have the same as @rfuss928 though only a single battery, but I've not had it too long.  Except for my wife killing it once (I was not happy, long story) I have been pretty happy with it.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    LeslieandNormLeslieandNorm Member Posts: 17
    rfuss928 - you chose blue top over yellow and I see why.  What charger/maintainer do you use?  Again, thanks to all for your response.
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    I've used both Red and Yellow Optima batteries in tow vehicles. Yellow top was a huge disappointment as it died exactly at the end of it's 3 year warranty. Will never get another one of those. I have gotten as much as 12 years on the Optima Red top batteries. I'll stick with those for now.....
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    edited February 2017
    rfuss928 - you chose blue top over yellow and I see why.  What charger/maintainer do you use?  Again, thanks to all for your response.
    I use a BatteryMinder maintainer and charger.  It is one of the premium brands available that has a desulphation process built in.

http://www.tab-rv.com/forum#/discussion/4218/great-deal-on-batteryminder-maintainer-24

• Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    LeslieandNorm,  I have a 2017 CS-s max T@b  the two way frig runs on 12v  when hooked up to shore power no problem..  I`m to looking to upgrade   looking at Trojan mod. 1260 or 1275..   lots of amp hours... a true deep cycle..   no cranking amps ....   dealer installed interstate grp 24 ok for now...
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited February 2017
    If you choose to use an Optima, the color of the case, not the lid, is crucial.  Gray colored bodies signify a deep cycle, while black ones are starter batteries.  Deep cycles are slower to charge and don't put out as much current, but they will last 100x longer when discharged to 50%. The top color usually designates purpose such as marine or auto, and has different terminals.

That said, I bought a red top starter battery back in 2002 for my home made generator project, and kept it stored most of the time.  It spent a few months in various cars, etc, and it was kept on a battery tender always.  I just recently used it as a core charge for my golf cart battery setup last fall, and it was still in perfect shape.  They will last forever if cared for!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Walmart...cheapest group 24...80 bucks...3 years later...still going strong....no maintenance...keep plugged up continuously in my T@B....just wanted to get a good baseline on cheap batteries before I decided whether something like Optima would be a good investment...
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Know a full-timer with triple 12 volts (group-31) that swears by Walmart batteries
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    I had a bay boat for 15 years on the Texas coast and used two optima batteries for the 24 volt trolling motor.  I was not impressed.  Of course the saltwater environment and heat on the Texas coast are brutal.  In my opinion the optima batteries didn't hold up as well as others.  I have had good luck with Interstate.  I have had no experience with Walmart batteries.
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    LeslieandNormLeslieandNorm Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the discussion.  Have had a g24 ra investmentWal-Mart for 5 years still going strong. Really only use it for my electric trolling motor twice a year for a Canadian fishing trip.  Keep it inside and charge it every 60 days.  Thought was the optima would be better in the TAB. Maybe not worth the extra investment

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I put in a group 31 Blue Top Optima in my Dutchmen Clamshell at my last replacement. It's been really good so far.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL