Options

Palo Duro: Finally

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
edited October 2014 in Camping & Travel

I started a thread on the Little Guy forum about going to Palo Duro when this forum was down earlier in the year.  But thought I’d follow up here since I just made it back.  Actually I spent a couple of days in the canyon as part of a Route 66 tour that I just took.  (I’ll try to report on that in another thread.)

Palo Duro is an awesome example of what the forces of Mother Nature can do to the face of the earth.  The park has nice facilities and lots of trails for hiking and/or biking.  What impressed me most about the campgrounds (at least Mesquite at the end of the canyon) is the feeling that you are alone with nature even with all the other campers around.  Kudos to Texas for developing the park in such a way.

I was disappointed that they are building bridges over the water crossings.  Definitely will detract from the character of the park.  I suppose it is necessary because flash flooding can strand people in the park, but I hate to see it.  I did not get to see part of the canyon because the entire alternate loop was closed, and it appeared to be the most scenic part from what I could see.  I did see road work going there.  Maybe more bridges?

And now for the other side of the story.  I am glad I saw Palo Duro because I now have a better understanding of what confronted Quanah Parker and Ranald McKenzie during their epic encounter.  (If you don’t know the story, it is worth the read, and must include the tragedy of Cynthia Ann Parker, Quanah’s mother.)  Having said that, red rocks and scrub brush are not really my favorite scenery.  I might go back if I were already in the area, but I would not make it a destination as a return trip.  No offense to those who love such scenery.  It’s just personal preference.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I'm glad you finally made it, Larry.  What did Booger think of the coyotes howling at sundown?  Sunny Day looked their way, looked at me, and stayed a bit closer.  She didn't know what to think of the turkeys, either.

I had to drive through water last year, probably where they are building bridges.  I stayed at the last campground before the "dry wash" crossing, two times last year. I love the red coloring, contrasted by the green of the bushes.  Very, very interesting that a mini Grand Canyon would be just in the middle of nowhere. 

Yes, personal preference on the red colors, because I love Utah and Arches with all of the red rocks, too.  Glad you enjoyed the campgrounds.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited October 2014

The coyotes were no problem because Booger hears them every night here at home.  Didn't see any turkeys, but did see some deer.

Of course, I liked the canyon.  Just not my favorite type of scenery.

BTW, I could not help but think of Mount Rushmore when I saw the formation in the fourth picture.  Maybe it's Mother Nature's memorial to some Native ghosts long gone.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Thanks for the report Larry and the photos too as I love that place for the very reason you noted above - You are close to nature and for me it is like going back in time.  It's also another sad example of the harsh, unfair and disrespectful outcome dealt to the Native American Indians in this country via the hostile takeover of their native lands.  I shake my head when I revisit history and have a deeper respect for the original founders and their homeland areas that were literally ripped from beneath them via the exploitation and deceptiveness of the US government and their double edged treaties and policies, many which were broken time and time again.  And we wonder why many of our current Native American descendants are living in poverty, alcoholism rates are high, etc.  It only takes a trip out west across many of the barren and hell forsaken tracts of land that the Indians were forced to live on to understand why many of these families live in poverty or are unable to make a decent wage and provide for their families.  

I will return to Palo Duro Canyon again one day and hope to be able to hike the trails and explore the canyon more in depth.  The last trip down came during a violent storm across the US and the canyon and my gear were both filled with red dust!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Larry, I think I have that exact picture, and thought of the same thing.  At first I thought it was a carving by humans, but realized that Mother Nature gave us a treat.  The deer weren't really afraid of me, but kept their distance as I was taking photos. 

It's not mating season for the turkeys, so they're harder to find.  It was mating season when I was there, so there were plenty of turkey within the protected boundaries of the State Park. 

I just loved being in the bottom of the canyon looking up at the rim, rather than the opposite in Grand Canyon, and no fear of falling ;) .   And, yes, I do realize the danger of being in the bottom.  They were having a drought last year while I was there.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”