Options

My first mods

Okay, it's a start. For my first real mods, I've moved the spare tire to the tongue. I really like it in that location. I've also added a custom mattress topper for sleeping wheel-to-wheel. I'm also following everyone's saying "you can't have too many hooks". Many more to come. This is addicting!

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Nope, can't have too many hooks.  I have to add a couple more to the T@Bpole.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Love the topper idea!  What size is the topper?  I'm thinking twin, but want to make sure.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Smullis7 said:
    Love the topper idea!  What size is the topper?  I'm thinking twin, but want to make sure.

It is 39"x70". Purchased from www.mattressinsider.com.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    I think we're gonna do the mattress topper to. We want to cover the hole bed though. We're to stinking tall to sleep side to side. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    HappyCamperWivesHappyCamperWives Member Posts: 33
    Oh wow, haven't thought about the tire placement there- that's a convenient spot for it! Also. nice on the hooks they match everything. :)  We started with a mattress topper too, but then got a memory foam topper because the other wasn't thick enough. Tell us how it goes :) 
  • Options
    My question is where do you store the dumping hose if you relocate the spare. I have a 2017 Outback. Mine did not come with any type of hose storage. I have seen the one in the void between the frame rails that they sell in the T@B store. I like it but not enough to buy it. I'm making one like it myself now. But that will keep me from being able to relocate the spare tire. I'd like to use that pretty Yakima rack for my other stuff. 

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There's a few theads with pics about various hose stoage solutions and DIY projects people have done. I just store mine in the tub on top of the battery. Every dump station I've been at has water to rinse  hose with.
  • Options
    Jdcouple said:
    My question is where do you store the dumping hose if you relocate the spare. I have a 2017 Outback. Mine did not come with any type of hose storage. I have seen the one in the void between the frame rails that they sell in the T@B store. I like it but not enough to buy it. I'm making one like it myself now. But that will keep me from being able to relocate the spare tire. I'd like to use that pretty Yakima rack for my other stuff. 

With having the Outback platform on my camper, I'm thinking of placing a length of PVC in front of the tub, and using zip ties to attach it to the frame and holes in the platform. Has anyone else ever tried this? There is plenty of room even with the spare tire mounted where it is. But then again I may just use the tub like PXL. Lots of options.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    Dave, will your topper roll up and fit behind the sofa with room for additional bedding?
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    OreoTAB said:
    Dave, will your topper roll up and fit behind the sofa with room for additional bedding?

I haven't tried to roll it up yet w/bedding, but I will try in the next day or two and let you know. My initial impression is that it should fit easily.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    OreoTAB, if you put the bedding roll behind the couch back will it block the heat coming out from the same area?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    I'm wondering the same thing.  I know others store their bedding behind the couch, so not sure how much the area will hold and not restrict the heat.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We store our rolled up mattress topper behind the couch but placed the heat vents in the top part of the back shelf while covering up the original heat slots with a new piece of birch.  
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    iariversiarivers Member Posts: 11
    What brand / model of spare tire mount did you use for the Jack?   Just got a 2017 Outback S Max & looking to mimic your setup.  thanks!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    iarivers - Search for "spare tire" and you'll probably find a couple threads about mounts with pics and links.
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    on the 2017 Tab S model you can totally roll up (fold in 3rd's long ways) a 3" memory foam mattress topper and put it behind the seat along with the queen size comforter and 4 standard pillow....the heater vents won't be blocked by the bedding....happy to send pics if needed. :)
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    iarivers said:
    What brand / model of spare tire mount did you use for the Jack?   Just got a 2017 Outback S Max & looking to mimic your setup.  thanks!

This is the spare tire mount I used. I use u-bolts to attach the mount to the jack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J06MCE2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=32TOOVRP6ECXI&coliid=I3QZKWSWLFBVGH

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    dsatwork said:
    on the 2017 Tab S model you can totally roll up (fold in 3rd's long ways) a 3" memory foam mattress topper and put it behind the seat along with the queen size comforter and 4 standard pillow....the heater vents won't be blocked by the bedding....happy to send pics if needed. :)

Yep, I agree with dsatwork.  I was able to roll up the mattress topper and bedding and put it behind the seat with no problem.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Jdcouple said:
    What “Tab store” exactly please?
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    There are several.  The now Liberty Outdoor “Tear Drop Shop” and the NuCamp online store Allproadventure.com.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ColleenD2 said:
    Jdcouple said:
    What “Tab store” exactly please?
    I can't find it. Sorry. It was close to $300. Working on mine now and I got $30 in it so far using scraps. 

• Options