Options

Towing not quite level, is it ok

PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
Just got our new Ford Transit to replace our 2002 Suburban 

Greatly appreciate your advice. Please see the photo.

As the trailer nose up slightly at tongue, is it ok?  Some advised need be level but most said ok.
What is the right way?  May you also share your photos?

TIA
2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You look like you are parked on a hill. The height of the top of the coupler (or ball) should be 16" to the ground. I bet if you pulled forward a bit, you'd be pretty close to level.  Nice color combo going there too!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    You look like you are parked on a hill. The height of the top of the coupler (or ball) should be 16" to the ground. I bet if you pulled forward a bit, you'd be pretty close to level.  Nice color combo going there too!!
    Thanks for the response .  It is on level ground and the top ball height from ground is almost 19".  Transit tow hitch receiver is very low (bottom to ground  is 13".  Current extension has a slight rise.

Not sure I should get a flat extension (which only comes a 3 balls that I believe it will be level at 13" and adding the ball will probably get to 16" at ball top.

What should I do to be right ?   Thanks very much.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Stay away from extensions, although you might mean the hitch. Extensions drop your hitch towing capacity by either 1000# or cuts it in half, depending on the manufacturer.  

You need a 2" ball. Are you sure you are on level ground? The picture might be skewed or distorted. 

Looking at the hitch you have, you can turn it upside down and re-torque the ball (if it's not welded on) and from what I can see, you get about a 2" drop. That should be enough. 

Sway is mostly a product of tongue weight, but it can also occur if you are towing with the coupler on the trailer quite high - an inch off either way isn't a big deal, but lower is better than higher. Remember, you're going to have things in your vehicle that load it down as well as your trailer with items in it (and a min 48# battery and 20" propane tank).

Right now, I'd go find a gas station that has a slight rise in their drive into the pumps and listen to hear if the back tire underneath scrapes. If it does, you'll need to lower that hitch height - or consider moving the spare to the tongue and forget about changing hitches as that will add 40# to the tongue weight.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    elgolfoelgolfo Member Posts: 22
    Flip the receiver,if that does not work with the jack get a  ,no drop receiver,or larger tires on the tv, nice tv!!
    2007 t@b,no mods at all,2013 Jeep jk 4 door,Sedona,Az and El Golfo de Santa Clara,Sonora,Mexico,
    Tim & Jill
  • Options
    *high 5, elgolfo!!* :)
  • Options
    elgolfoelgolfo Member Posts: 22
    However have seen much worse and I have also done worse with no problems.
    2007 t@b,no mods at all,2013 Jeep jk 4 door,Sedona,Az and El Golfo de Santa Clara,Sonora,Mexico,
    Tim & Jill
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Just an fyi. We brought ours home from the dealer (over 100 miles) only two inches high at the hitch during a torrential downpour mixed with sleet and ice. When we got home the interior was soaked. The slight rise at the tongue tipped the drain pan from the a/c back. All the precipitation and road spray from semi's that came into the drain pan through the vent ran into the t@b interior. The cushions were soaked, the floor, the benches, even the cabinetry was damp. The a/c drain pan needs to be level as the drain line is toward the front. We purchased a hitch with a 2 inch drop which levelled the t@b, and we have been bone dry since. We've travelled 10,000 more miles, many thousand through the desert southwest in what they call monsoon season, pouring rain, and have never gotten any water in after getting level. Another small thing to consider.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Neiko triple ball hitch mount (from Walmart)
    May be this hitch will work as it is flat (level w TV at 13 bottom and with ball top close to 16
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited February 2017
    Just an fyi. We brought ours home from the dealer (over 100 miles) only two inches high at the hitch during a torrential downpour mixed with sleet and ice. When we got home the interior was soaked. The slight rise at the tongue tipped the drain pan from the a/c back. All the precipitation and road spray from semi's that came into the drain pan through the vent ran into the t@b interior. The cushions were soaked, the floor, the benches, even the cabinetry was damp. The a/c drain pan needs to be level as the drain line is toward the front. We purchased a hitch with a 2 inch drop which levelled the t@b, and we have been bone dry since. We've travelled 10,000 more miles, many thousand through the desert southwest in what they call monsoon season, pouring rain, and have never gotten any water in after getting level. Another small thing to consider.
    Covering the A/C vent with plexiglass or some other type of cover during travel prevents road spray from getting in, in the first place.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    edited February 2017
    You asked for photos. This is what mine looks like. I knew the top of the ball should be 16 inches from the ground. So I went to Auto Zone and with the help of several staff members, we measured the distance of the receiver hitch and calculated the height of the ball and we determined that I should get a ball mount with a 5 inch drop. It seems to have been a perfect fit.

Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    For some reason, the photo insists on being in a separate comment!

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options

Covering the A/C vent with plexiglass or some other type of cover during travel prevents road spray from getting in, in the first place.
    would you please post a photo?  Thanks
  • Options
    Another view.

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    When you stop at rest stops and want to sleep in T@B it is so nice when it is level while hitched...

• Options

Thanks for the photo.  Yours is very leveled.
  • Options
    That spare looks dangerously close to the pavement...be aware...many move it to another location due to clearance issues... good luck...
  • Options
    That spare looks dangerously close to the pavement...be aware...many move it to another location due to clearance issues... good luck...

What's the solution would you recommend?  for now I am buying a level hitch (no drop or rise) so hope it will level.  However as the TV hitch receiver is at 13" from ground (very low compare to my Suburban by 3"), so to maintain that level the TV and T@B are sitting very low.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Playc said:

It's kindof hard to see but that piece of plexiglass has holes that correspond with the bolts put into the A/C vent grid. I remove the wingnuts, put the plexiglass over the bolts and tighten down the wingnuts.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    This is what I have
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We have a new 2017 Transit that has not been connected to our T@B yet.Came in 3 months early so it is just sitting in the shed beside the T@B. Ours is a red low roof swb 3.2 diesel. Our T@B has red trim and white walls so we hope it looks as good as your rig.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    KBaggins1 said:
    We have a new 2017 Transit that has not been connected to our T@B yet.Came in 3 months early so it is just sitting in the shed beside the T@B. Ours is a red low roof swb 3.2 diesel. Our T@B has red trim and white walls so we hope it looks as good as your rig.
    Welcome to Transit and T@B.  You must have done something right as it came 3mo early, wow.
    Very much like to know what hitch (flat, drop, or rise) to connect the two to keep level.  And where do you have your spare tire?
  • Options
    As the load in your transit varies and the rear end rises or lowers, an adjustable seems best...I had about the same tilt on my new TV before I got this hitch...

• Options
    Which adjustable hitch is the best kind?  Would you please send a link?
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    The hitch insert we used to use with our Honda Pilot was an adjustable Reese with a maximum drop of 7" I think. Can't read the label anymore.We have about 6 hitch inserts with a variety of drops for the boat, seadoo and utility trailer. We only used the adjustable for theT@B because I welded it solid so it would not rattle so much. With the transit I think we will end up using the same hitch insert as Playc has on their transit, only flipped over. The Transit has a much lower hitch than the Pilot so no need for such a drastic drop. We level ours by going to a level parking lot and put a 2 foot level on the floor inside the trailer lined up with the lines on the flooring. You can't get it perfect but you can get it pretty close. Our spare is still under theT@B and since we do not do off road it has not been a problem. But now that we have the room, the spare will be mounted in the van.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited February 2017

Hold a ruler up to your photo with edge under your Transit wheels and you'll see that line doesn't match the T@B wheel.
    My suggestion would be to find a level spot and check again.
    Also consider loading your TV and T@B with what you normally expect to carry. Or some concrete blocks. ;)
    If necessary flip the ball as @elgolfo suggested or go with a no-rise receiver.
    An adjustable hitch is useful if you have multiple trailers of various heights and tongue weights to deal with.
    A TV with tow package isn't going to vary much in height especially hooked up to a T@B.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    What @boo said, look at the top of the ball. It may be a 2" ball, but the poundage ratings differ - probably because of the materials used in making it. Big Uhaul places know exactly what you need. I'd recommend them if you have a decent one in your area (also Camping World). Online, etrailer.com has been my go-to place. You can call them and their tech support is superb. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice.  This is what done over the weekend - moved spare tire to front and bought a flat 4way hitch (photo).  Believe it will be more level when tow (will try out next week and post new photo).  We are preparing for May from Houston to Yellowstone camping trip so want to ensure all is right and safe.
  • Options
    Playc said:

It's kindof hard to see but that piece of plexiglass has holes that correspond with the bolts put into the A/C vent grid. I remove the wingnuts, put the plexiglass over the bolts and tighten down the wingnuts.

This is quite excellent. I have the same exact setup with the vent, and I plan on executing the same solution. Thanks for posting the pictures!
    "Travels With The Tiny"