Options

Clear Springs Campground, Homochitto National Forest, Mississippi

Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
edited February 2017 in Camping & Travel
I don't share this secret information with many people, but you on this forum have been tested and found worthy.  =)

There is an amazing little campground a couple hours southwest of Jackson, Mississippi, in the Homochitto National Forest. It's called Clear Springs Campground. I found it while doing a search for camping in Mississippi and I came across it on a list of the 10 best campgrounds in the U.S. I'm like, no way is one of the best campgrounds in Mississippi. And that's certainly open for discussion.

So I went on a scouting trip to find a campground for a Girlfriend Glampout last fall. This is before I had my T@B and me and my friends were tenting. I went to a few private campgrounds that were pretty awful, and I thought: OMG. I'm a California girl and have been spoiled by campgrounds in Malibu, Morro Bay, Yosemite, etc., as well as New Mexico, Arizona, and other states.

My northernmost destination was Clear Springs. It was hard to find. The GPS almost had me going down a dirt road toward a washed out bridge, but luckily I found some workers who told me to continue along the paved two-lane highway and turn right at the Dollar General. This is part of the reason the campground is a secret. No one can find it!

When I finally arrived, I was stunned. It's the PERFECT campground for T@Bbers who like water and power at each site, who like hard pounded gravel sites with multiple places for a small trailer or tent, and who like a spring-fed lake for kayaking or swimming in the dedicated swimming area with a dock, and nice trails, and not too many other campers, and the best shower I've ever seen at a campground. The sites are too small for big rigs. And there's a very involved and engaging camp host named Virginia. With her in charge, nothing can go awry.

Like many other forest service campgrounds, you cannot make reservations, so you have to get there early on Friday or on Thursday in the peak of the season (spring or fall). Here are some images of our Girlfriend Glampout. Our sites were less than $20 per nite, or $13 with a senior pass.

There is also an amazing group site that can be reserved (starting Jan. 2, so all the good weekends are taken) that costs only $40 per nite and includes a massive covered outdoor kitchen with sinks and outlets, and a great big fire pit with stone benches in a semi-circle, and a private bathroom. Unbelievable!

I have two trips planned there in March and May with my T@B and I'm beyond excited!

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/homocmp.htm

Shhh. Don't tell anybody.
Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
"Travels With The Tiny"

Comments

• Options
    PXLated said:
    I tried, but it ended up in the same place. Now it's up there twice. Help!
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    And it's only 2,475.7 miles from Portland! Great photos. Looks and sounds like a fantastic campground!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Come on twojgrams. If you hooked up now you could be there by.... Thursday. 

Sounds like a great place!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    No, I'm going to ask Verna if I can borrow her magic wand and poof! Be there!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Heeeeyyy! You may be on to something
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've seen her wand and it only sends you to the dog house :-)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited February 2017
    Me_and_My_Dog - Hmmmmm, don't see it over there in that thread. Did see the one marked "delete".
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Katt, thanks for the heads-up on this wonderful campground. Tuscaloosa is not too far, so I foresee a trip to MS coming up soon!

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    dmerzbac said:
    Katt, thanks for the heads-up on this wonderful campground. Tuscaloosa is not too far, so I foresee a trip to MS coming up soon!
    Might have to do a Mississippi meet up!

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Another restorative weekend at Clear Springs Campground, camping with a group of Husky dog owners.

Below is the view from the back of the campsite, where my friend is making s'mores. The view is straight into the woods. Since I've gotten The Tiny I am even more aware of how my husband and my friends' husbands are not that into camping and it's a major freaking hassle to get them to go. With the solid shell of The Tiny as opposed to a tent, I feel more secure to go off with my friends (who still tent) and our dogs. We have our own private Girlfriend Glampout FB page where we plan our trips. The Clam provides a nice communal gathering spot to cook and eat and be friends. I am in heaven. (And yes, I know that fire is WAY too big, but my friend cannot be controlled. =) )

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Very nice! does your clam shelter cover the picnic table and still leave room to move around it? Thanks for the pics!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Very nice! does your clam shelter cover the picnic table and still leave room to move around it? Thanks for the pics!
    Actually, I've never put it over the picnic table. Each time I've gone out with the Clam, which is only 4 times, the picnic table was too gross or too close to the fire for me to put the Clam over it. I bring two tables, one tall one for for cooking, and one for eating, and I put those in the Clam.

This image shows my friend inside the Clam with the two tables.

Last year, we did vision boards during a Girlfriend Glampout. Fun!
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Katt thanks. That is a nice set up. It would be nice to cook without yellow jackets when they are prolific around here. I just wish there wasn't a huge dark X on each window. That bugs me and I don't know if I could look past it or not. Does it have one or two doors, and is there a ceiling mesh vent of some kind? Thanks again!

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Looks like a great spot, and you can't beat that rate for a water/electric site.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Katt thanks. That is a nice set up. It would be nice to cook without yellow jackets when they are prolific around here. I just wish there wasn't a huge dark X on each window. That bugs me and I don't know if I could look past it or not. Does it have one or two doors, and is there a ceiling mesh vent of some kind? Thanks again!

Homebody, the big X's are actually part of the structure that keep this thing strong and solid. Each of those is convex, and at the center of each X is a ring where you can stake it to the ground in case of wind or weather. Solid panels roll down on the outside if you need protection from rain, wind, cold, or need privacy. 

It only has one door. It would be nice if it had two doors, but the side with the door is not as sturdy as the other sides, so it would not be as bunker-like if it had two weaker sides. The way it's designed, it stands up quite well to massive weather events.

It does not have a roof vent. But the thing is huge. If the walls are rolled down for privacy or weather, you can still roll up a flap to reveal a window on each side. The best part of all is that it is all one piece and I can put it up or take it down by myself, quite easily, in 5 minutes.

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Me_and_My_Dog, That place looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. Nothing like camping with good friends! :) Your hubby doesn't really know what he's missing, does he? ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Me_and_My_Dog, That place looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. Nothing like camping with good friends! :) Your hubby doesn't really know what he's missing, does he? ;)
    He is quite clueless! Though he has other wonderful qualities.
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    You'd have to drag Liz & I out of there kickin' and screamin', especially if there's fish in that lake!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    You'd have to drag Liz & I out of there kickin' and screamin', especially if there's fish in that lake!
    You are fortunate! I saw these folks fishing in a cool little fishing boat with swivel seats.

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    Now you're just rubbing it in! Oh boy, where's my map! Liz, wake up & call in to work. ROAD TRIP! Cool boat, just looks a little "top" heavy for my liking. If everybody looks over the side one direction....oops! :s
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks Katt! Looks beautiful.
    What's the weather this time of year in the deep South?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Thanks Katt! Looks beautiful.
    What's the weather this time of year in the deep South?
    It's been about 75 to 80 degrees. It's raining right now and about 75. When I first moved here from coastal central California I'd see that it was raining outside and bundle up. When I got out, I saw folks in shorts and flip flops. I had to learn that rain and cold do not necessarily go together. I'm heading out for 2 weeks and expect a mixture of rain and sun. Hopefully my various tents and awnings will hold up to give me plenty of dry outside space, in addition to The Tiny.

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Beautiful Katt! I've seen fishing boats like that before (Dad and his buddies... saying "FISH" is like saying "SQUIRREL" to a pup). That said, I don't think I've ever seen one that size with 3 people. The front end is a wee low in the water although the guy looks like he either caught his hook on that dead tree and is standing up, or caught a tiny fish :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Beautiful Katt! I've seen fishing boats like that before (Dad and his buddies... saying "FISH" is like saying "SQUIRREL" to a pup). That said, I don't think I've ever seen one that size with 3 people. The front end is a wee low in the water although the guy looks like he either caught his hook on that dead tree and is standing up, or caught a tiny fish :lol:
    Early in the morning, the guy with the red sweatshirt was out on the boat with two kids. That looked about right. 
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    tabienolatabienola Member Posts: 19
    July 28, 2017
    Ah, the peaceful pines! if you were any where near the Trace it's a great ride, but over nighting can be a challenge. We have stated in Tishomingo SP, north of Tupelo MS. Very nice hike on poorly marked trail. No campground host when we were there so bath house needed some attention. Thanks for the tip.