Handy Heater review

I am usually not a big fan of AS SEEN ON TV. This product in my opinion is an exception. It has been a great little addition to our T@B. We are able to leave it plugged in so storage is not an issue, and no cord to trip over. Lots of features including 60* to 90* digital temperature settings. Two speed fan, 1 to 12 hour timer. Sound level is low but not silent. The plug rotates 180*. Current draw is 400W (0*C) 350W (25*C). The glowing color is produced by small lights not a glowing heating element. I would rate quality a 10 and would certainly buy again. We bought ours at Walmart for $29.99.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Very nice! Dan bought a small one like that in 1989 and we still use it in the main bathroom in winter after a shower. It can be used as a heater or just a fan. They work so nicely! Great idea!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Been eyeing these @ Wal Mart...thanks for the review...going to snag one for my T@B...
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    This device does look handy to dry out the cabin quickly after a steamy shower.
    I notice you've been posting photos as files instead of images. Is that to avoid the size issue or does it depend on what you are posting?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    This device does look handy to dry out the cabin quickly after a steamy shower.
    I notice you've been posting photos as files instead of images. Is that to avoid the size issue or does it depend on what you are posting?
    I am not sure why they are coming up as files. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited February 2017

Ah. When you are using the forum editor to post something there are two icons in the top toolbar. The first one is Attach File and the second is Attach Image.
    File is good for PDFs or other file formats where the attachment will list at the bottom of the post. The image option inserts your picture into the post.
    You can also use copy and paste while editing to move that image around and use carriage return to place your text below an image.
    Then use Preview to check your edits before posting. 

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited February 2017
    What is this carriage return of which you speak?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

edited February 2017
    CR (carriage return) line feed on an old typewriter. The Enter key on a keyboard.
    The problem with attaching an image is the editor inserts the image in front of your text at top of the screen.
    If you don't hit Enter after insertion the text starts off to the right on your posted image.
    When you attach multiple images you can also use copy/paste and the cursor to arrange them before posting. 
    Got it thanks 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Oh TabberJohn, I giggled when I saw the CR-I'm so old I couldn't get the %*# winking emoji inserted  at the end of my question! In fact, I'm so old, I remember creating portraits of dead presidents In my typing class! My only artistic accomplishments sad to say. Your explanation was very helpful!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    Hi, @Dalehelman... I recently purchased the Handy Heater, too. Did you have to turn your electrical outlet upside down so the ground hole is on the bottom?  My outlet is upside down to what I'm used to in my home.  If so, did you find there was enough wiring to do so without disconnecting and reconnecting the wires?  I don't like messing with anything electrical 😟.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
    edited July 2018
    The handy heater plug will rotate. Take a closer look at it. 

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 908
    The ground pin on top is required by some codes. 
    The rational I was told is that if the plug is partially pulled out and something falls against it, it is more likely it will contact the ground pin - a safer failure mode.

• SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    AWESOME!!  Thanks, Dale
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
     Bringing back this thread.  This is a nice little add on out of the way heater.  I showed it to my wife and she wondered about the bathroom temp at this time of year.  On FB I noticed someone added a heater from the 400, hooking it up to the Alde.  It took some time and wasn’t cheap.  So this morning I just did a preliminary search here and then searched google for small heaters.  I was thinking for a temporary mount, you could put up a command hook on the inside bath wall and hang a little heater there, and run the cord up and around, plugging into the outlet above sink.  It wouldn’t have to put out much heat.  Once winterizing season starts, it would be less needed.  Perhaps it would keep condensation down.  Even with windows ajar, we get a little.  

Keep in in mind I don’t know stuff, and certainly don’t know heaters..  Here is one I saw...

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Heater-Handheld-Desktop-Portable/dp/B07H18DZWL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538589274&sr=8-4&keywords=Handheld+Mini+Electric+Desktop+Heater+Portable
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited October 2018
    @TerryV6 -- I don't think you want an AC powered heater in the wet bath under any circumstance. :|
    Your Amazon link is to an odd unit. Scroll down to read the full product description.
    It's a funny example of "lost in translation" and likely unsafe at any speed. 220v? :o

Dale's suggestion looks like a winner to me. The two speed fan should circulate warm air pretty quickly in a T@B.
    Open the shower bay door, Dale! (sorry, could not resist again)
    Okay then...  Thanks TabberJohn for the input...  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Open the bathroom door......   Now we’ve always closed it for some reason.  After 2 1/2 years, facepalm, why that works just fine....  Never thought of that...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    edited October 2018
    So I have to ask, will this 400W device actually heat the interior of the camper to a comfortable level in winter? I rarely camp when temperatures are below freezing, but often do with temps in the 30s-40s.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @TerryV6 the simplest answers! Because the door tends to close, I have a small bungee attached to the door hanger I use and the other hook over an upper cupboard knob. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

This seems to be a good spot to plunk down this question.  We are at the time of year when the camper has come home for the year, where it belongs.  As it sits in the drive, my wife likes to go out and read a book and escape some of the problems of life.  Someimes, if I know she is going to do this, I'll run out and turn on the Alde.  Of course, while we like it, its heat is not instantaneous.  We have one of those small electric foot heater from her work that worked well there, but is inadequate here.  I also considered the handi heater.  I was wondering if anyone uses one that is a bit bigger that works for them and puts out some heat for someone who must be kept happy... grin...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

@TerryV6 I keep a small ceramic heater for just that purpose! I hide out in the winter and it takes a good two hours for the Alde heat it up from single digits or teens to warm enough. Probably a Holmes brand. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    dsfdogs said:
    @TerryV6 the simplest answers! Because the door tends to close, I have a small bungee attached to the door hanger I use and the other hook over an upper cupboard knob. 
    Another option:
    I glued a small rare earth magnet to the ceiling and I have a big fender washer on a string that I use to keep the bathroom door open. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    @Marceline I really like that idea! Thanks!