Options

Electric Brake

We recently had a 7 pin wire upgrade installed on a 2013 Subaru Outback, along with a hitch.
We did not have an electric brake system installed as we have heard different views about whether one is needed.
We recently researched the different State's requirements and they vary substantially for brake requirements.
Since each state has different laws, what are others' opinions/views and experience with the electric brakes and the need for same.

Comments

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    most state require it for 1500 lb trailers and I think most of us believe they are needed when pulling a Tab.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited February 2017
    Definetly needed - If for nothing else than an emergency stop. If you encounter any relatively steep grades in your travels you'll be glad you have them. Nothin like that feeling when your camper is pushing you down the hill and there's no guardrails.
    You might want to check with your insurance company, they may require it.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    What year/model T@B are you towing?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    JoanJoan Member Posts: 11
    2013 Subaru Outback; 3.6L AWD

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    You can never have too much brakes. They are a "must have"
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    You can never have too much brakes. They are a "must have"

I have 2015 T@B S Sofitel .   Not sure it's Electric brake  or Electric hydraulic brake.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    A 2015 would have electric brakes. Hydraulic brakes were on the earlier T@Bs and weren't electric.
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    PXLated said:
    A 2015 would have electric brakes. Hydraulic brakes were on the earlier T@Bs and weren't electric.
    Thanks PXL.  My TV brake controller has option to select either (Electric Hydraulic ) or (Electric ).
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    From what I have read about electric hydraulic breaks is that they are slower to engage than straight electrics, maybe that's why Playc's controller has two settings.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    AmyJoAmyJo Member Posts: 24
    Do I have to have electric brakes functioning on the TAB 320S?  I want to camp at Thanksgiving and don't know if I can get the connection installed on my car in time.  
    Sliver and white 2018 T@B 320S bought 10-21 in Sarasota, FL.  
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    AmyJo said:
    Do I have to have electric brakes functioning on the TAB 320S?
    To be road legal, Yes you need the brakes working due to the trailer being over 2,000#

Your auto/trailer insurance might not cover an accident if they discover the brakes were not working.  Some car manufactures will not provide warranty coverage if they know trailer brakes were not used for trailers above 2000#.

All that said, if you have a heavy/large tow vehicle and are only going a short distance then the risk is low.     Except of course if you had a heavy/large TV it would most likely already have a factory 7-pin . . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    @AmyJo
    Yes, you have electric brakes and you need a 7 pin connector and brake controller installed on your two vehicle.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    AmyJo said:
    Do I have to have electric brakes functioning on the TAB 320S?  I want to camp at Thanksgiving and don't know if I can get the connection installed on my car in time.  
    I’m going to add that your owner’s manual almost certainly specifies trailer brakes required over a certain weight. Since you said “car” and not truck, that weight is likely 1000 lbs, and your Tab is absolutely over that weight.

Unless the “car” is a big heavy truck or full size SUV, at least twice the weight of the trailer and outfitted for safe towing? Please don’t try to tow without trailer brakes.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Somewhere about page 21 in your Subaru owners manual you’ll see the trailer towing section.  “Maximum trailer weight without brakes is 1000”.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.