Options

Fresh Water Tank Upgrade Input

I'm going to be taking my 2014 T@B S Maxx back to Sugarcreek, Ohio in about ten days for the replacement of some faulty flooring which will be covered by warranty.  While there, I have the option of having them do several of the upgrades I may be interested in.   Some are a matter of customer preference and are easily done in a shorter frame of time.   But replacing the current five gallon fresh water tank with the upgraded eleven gallon one takes more labor and consequently is a $700 upgrade.  For those of you who have the T@B S Maxx like I do, is this an upgrade you would pay $700 for?   Do you really wish you had the capacity to hold six more gallons of fresh water?   Or does carrying along some extra water seem to work for you and simply adding it to the tank when you get low?   One side benefit of the new eleven gallon tank is gaining some additional storage where the current five gallon tank is under the kitchen sink.  I should add that we rarely see ourselves camping in a location without water and don't mind filling the fresh water tank from a campground spigot.  A possible negative to the new tank is that it is located underneath the trailer and perhaps would be more susceptible to freezing.   I would be interested in feedback if you think this is a worthwhile upgrade given the cost.
2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Everything about the external tank is a plus except that it's totally exposed so it WILL freeze if exposed to low temps. I love the extra storage but I'm going to be camping year round so it's a mixed blessing.
    Mine came winterized, am currently fighting with myself whether I use it here this fall or just leave it that way until I head for warmer climes.
    So, I guess it comes down to how often you'll be out in low temps.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Norm, I personally wouldn't pay $700 for the ability to carry an extra 6 gallons of water, to tell you the truth.  The extra storage would be nice, but $700????  While camping this past season, I have not found it inconvenient to simply add water to the tank, like you did.  Although some Forest Service campgrounds do not have water, the extra 6 gallons I could carry would only buy me a few days.  Also, I like not having to worry so much about the freeze factor. :-/
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    edited October 2014
    I agree with Beth...many of us in the West camp in warm day cold night conditions (Fall is the best!), where having a few gallons of liquid water goes a long ways. I know there are ways to keep an under belly tank from freezing, but I'm happy with what we got (p.s. NFS campgrounds are free until snowfall!).

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I'm in the camp that likes the freeze resistance of our "old" '14 design... ...and my handy 7 gal water tote adds more agua if needed.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Thanks for those who gave their input on this issue.   It does sound like the upgrade isn't worth the $700 cost for the ability to carry an extra six gallons of water when a separate water container will do that very nicely.   I'm still weighing the other upgrade options but the one I know I really want is the addition of an exterior 110 outlet.  A nice feature and reasonable cost to install.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I need to get mine back... there's some warranty work Ed reviewed at Tearstock, and I too wouldn't mind an exterior outlet... especially near the front, where I do most of the grillin' 'n chillin'.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful.