VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited March 2017
    Good information, but I would like to note one thing said in there, surge brakes ARE legal in all jurisdictions.  USDOT released a decision more then a decade ago regarding them, and making them compliant to regulations.

http://www.bipac.net/ararental/Trailer_Surge_Brake_Enforcement_091404.pdf

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    I figured I didn't add my surge brakes, they were standard when my T@B was constructed, so they have to be grandfathered. But your info sounds a lot better. I do like the simplicity of the surge brakes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Same here, prefer them over electric for our lighter trailers, simple operation and maintenance, and no extra setup required.

Kinda makes me wonder if you can special order a T@B with surge brakes, if the frame and axles are still made.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I doubt it.  There was a period of time where the trailer would have the hydraulic tongue, but had electric brakes anyway.  They were trying to get rid of old stock.  Was back in mid 2013 sometime.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited March 2017

Surge brakes appear plenty safe enough for normal driving, but not as safe as electric brakes especially in an emergency situation.
    A 2000 lb T@B is a lightweight camper but TV weight and tow capacity factor in. 
    Seems like electric brakes make the best sense when towing with a small TV. If your TV is a 5000+ lb truck that's a different story.
    Is the dog wagging its tail or is the tail wagging the dog? ;)

What about boondocking in the backcountry on rough forest roads?
    Wouldn't rolling over large bumps or through ruts (push/pull) trigger a surge brake -- whether desired or not?
    What about backing down a steep incline? Surge control means no brakes in reverse, right?

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Well, @TabberJohn, the "what if's" don't really matter because that's what my T@B came with and I've no intention of replacing them.  They work just fine. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    My comments refer to why you're not going to see surge brake model T@Bs in the future.
    Doesn't make any sense to go backwards (pun intended).
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited March 2017
    Boat trailers with surge brakes can have trouble backing up unless the reverse light signal is sent to the trailer to temporarily disable the brakes.  Indeed, if this wasn't the case, even backing up on a flat surface is challenging as you keep locking up the brakes and dragging the tires.

I don't know if the surge brake T@B versions have this override if not.  But it is common elsewhere.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    As I was reading up on surge brakes I noticed one design had a lever to throw when backing up while another used wheel rotation to determine brake shoe engagement (only when rolling forward). These were mechanical models with no electrical component.
    A reverse brake light connection makes a lot of sense to automate it; must be some type of 12v device on the trailer.
    Older T@Bs with surge brakes apparently have a lever to engage the brake rather than for backing up.
  • Options
    The DM T@Bs have a manual parking brake, which is what the lever was used for.  It would not disengage at function of the surge brakes.

The older PV T@Bs have a BAL frame with their surge brakes.  It does have a small switch which will disengage the brakes for backing, but I have only ever need it when backing up a very steep grade, so pretty much never.

The brakes have a compensator which functions to keep them from engaging during normal driving conditions, such as when going down a hill.  They will really only engage during a hard stop.  Never had any trouble in three years with my trailer pushing the Escape in any way.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    @Cyclonic, I do believe you are correct. The only time I've ever felt my surge brakes was last fall/winter when someone pulled in front of me and slammed on their brakes (heavy traffic and they were in a big hurry to gain 5').   The T@B definitely braked with me slamming on my brakes so hard. I can't say I've ever felt it brake before. The great utility trailer business that repackes my wheel bearings every year also checks the surge brakes, so I already knew they were operational. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN