Options

Replacing an electrical outlet.

I'm replacing an electrical outlet in my T@B (it has the two 110 plugin slots), with one that has a couple of usb slots as well.  When I removed the original, I found it was a self-contained, snap-in unit.  My new one isn't.  So, my first question is:  Is it a problem to replace a self-contained with one that isn't?

self-contained (original): https://www.magicmobilehomesupply.com/Snap_On_Self_Contained_Receptacle_White_p/487.htm

replacement: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NAIMSNL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know in houses, outlets require metal boxes.  My second question is: Even though it isn't strictly a low-voltage outlet, can I safely use a low-voltage mount instead of the full box?  

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1-gang-low-voltage-mounting-bracket--rework.1000161732.html?autoSuggest=pip

Hoping that folks with more experience will share their knowledge.  

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!

Comments

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    edited March 2017
    The issue with putting USB slots in the 120V outlet, is that they won't work when you're not plugged into shore power. Perhaps leave the 120V outlet alone and modify the 12V outlet to have the USB slots there. I added a additional 12V outlet and replaced a 12 outlet, much easier than the 120V outlet I had to replace for my air conditioner. 
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    The issue with putting USB slots in the 120V outlet, is that they won't work when you're not plugged into shore power. Perhaps leave the 120V outlet alone and modify the 12V outlet to have the USB slots there. I added a additional 12V outlet and replaced a 12 outlet, much easier than the 120V outlet I had to replace for my air conditioner. 
    The 12v does have two usb slots.  (Don't laugh too loudly at the next bit.)  I sleep on the other side from it and with my daughter wanting to sleep on the driver side, I was hoping to get a usb on my side.  It doesn't matter if it only works on shore power.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Not laughing, I moved my furnace thermostat to where I could reach it without having to get out of my sleeping bag. Sometimes the T@B is too big! 

Is there a 12V line where you can reach it? It's just so much easier to work with 12V and the outlets are easier and require less drilling. 
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Not laughing, I moved my furnace thermostat to where I could reach it without having to get out of my sleeping bag. Sometimes the T@B is too big! 

Is there a 12V line where you can reach it? It's just so much easier to work with 12V and the outlets are easier and require less drilling. 
    Actually, I've already got the old outlet out, and am about to mount the new one.  I decided that I need to go ahead and do it correctly with a box.  (The only issue will be finding a box the right size.  The opening isn't standard, so I'll have to adjust it a bit.)  
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    The metal box provides physical protection for the wiring connections and the wires because inside the box the protective cover over the wires has been stripped away.The box also prevents any arcing from getting out of the box and possibly causing a fire. A plastic box will safely do the same thing and is code compliant in most areas.The low voltage box you show is just for mounting purposes for voltages under 35V. It does not provide any protection at all.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    KBaggins1 said:
    The metal box provides physical protection for the wiring connections and the wires because inside the box the protective cover over the wires has been stripped away.The box also prevents any arcing from getting out of the box and possibly causing a fire. A plastic box will safely do the same thing and is code compliant in most areas.The low voltage box you show is just for mounting purposes for voltages under 35V. It does not provide any protection at all.
    Thanks...I went and picked up a box this evening.  Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get it installed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    And, it is done.  Things I learned from my first electrical modification:

1. The 110 outlet is the kind that isn't screwed into the wood, but rather uses these little pieces of plastic that, when you screw the mounting screws down, pull the plastic tight to the wood to hold the outlet in place.  (Kind of like a simplified toggle bolt.)  It was a self-contained outlet like this: http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=230220

Having said that, when you unscrew it to remove the outlet, if you unscrew it too much, the little plastic thing will fall down and go "ting". Yes, I found it. :)

2. The hole for the old outlet is not big enough to accommodate a box. So, enlarging the hole was a finicky process.  I used a dremel tool with various attachments.  Thank goodness it is covered by the new outlet and plate because it isn't pretty.   However, I did get a standard metal outlet box in place and ran the wires through it properly.

3.  Finally, after much cursing, and my husband's assistance, I got the new outlet wired.  We tested it and Voila!  I now have usb and 110 outlets on the passenger side instead of just on the driver side.

That was a lot of work for something so trivial.  However, I did get to spend 2-3 hours in the trailer, which made it all better. 

Here's the outlet...finished.

Here is the original, disassembled, outlet.

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Only 2-3 hours work? You sound like pro. For me,1 hour internet, bring T@B home, job survey, 2-3 hours on internet, go to HD, try to start work, convince wife yard can wait another day, 1-2 hours on internet, resurvey, revisit HD, do work, look at work, a lot, return T@B to storage.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    @absenteurer  Oh...sorry....didn't mean to mislead.  I spent time on the web, ordered part I wanted from Amazon, and went to Home Depot FOUR times.  All the work didn't magically take place in 2-3 hours.  That was after all the prelim work. ;)
  • Options
    Yay!!!!!! Only four times ?! LOL. But now, the satisfaction. Every time you plugin you will reflect on this triumph! :-)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    Great job, if you can't see the rough cut with the cover on, it is perfect.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    I tried searching for a SCD (self-contained device) receptacle with USB ports and 110v AC but could not find one.
    You'd think someone serving the mobile home/RV market would offer it by now.
    What does the factory use for those units?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    LauraRey, Was the outlet not available through NuCamp. Just asking as Elsie is awesome at sourcing "stuff".  ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    LauraRey, Was the outlet not available through NuCamp. Just asking as Elsie is awesome at sourcing "stuff".  ;)
    I don't know.  Since it wasn't standard on the trailer, I assumed not.  
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Thanks for the reply, I was just curious. I think Verna got her magic wand from Elsie to begin with! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Next time, I'll check first.  However, it was a good learning experience. :)