Options

Worn Brake-Away Cable for electric breaks

Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
edited March 2017 in Trailer & Towing
Upon returning from a weekend trip today, we noticed that the break-away cable is worn out in one place (see photo) - in fact, when pulled just a bit the cable broke up. Has anyone else had this problem? Any recommendations for how to replace? 

2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Etrailer.com has lots of parts for the break away cable. Give it a look and see if it's something you want to attempt to repair. Otherwise, I recommend going to a utility trailer repair business for the repair. Their hourly rate is less than an RV dealer and you can get in quicker for an appointment. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    Etrailer.com has lots of parts for the break away cable. Give it a look and see if it's something you want to attempt to repair. Otherwise, I recommend going to a utility trailer repair business for the repair. Their hourly rate is less than an RV dealer and you can get in quicker for an appointment. 

Perfect job for a utility trailer place. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Got mine replaced at a utility trailer place in Rapid City, SD - Could probably do it at some kind farm supply store also.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    What was the breakaway cable rubbing against that it would do that to begin with?
    Was it dragging on the ground?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Thanks everyone for helpful suggestions! @TabberJohn, we think that the cable may have dragged on the ground.
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA.