Options

Second Trip with Tab

gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
We joined three families at Lake of the Pines.  We would not usually choose a Thousand Trails destination, but didn't pass up the invitation. Cathy came down with a cold the day before departure, but braved it out.  This place is about two miles east of Collins Lake that T@BCasa posted recently, and it's not as green as places I usually (tent) camp.  We saw LOTS of nearly tame deer, a trailing coyote that ran away fast when I stood for a better look, and a healthy looking mountain lion strolling along and about which I later saw warnings posted.  As their web site shows, Lake of the Pines offer a lot that we didn't pursue.   We left early because Cathy's dad ended up in ICU (it looks like he will be fine after stabilizing).  More luck :-) when we got home.  My son and his lovely wife recently got a Corgi pup to join their two German Shepherds. When they left the pup in an upstairs bathroom while they enjoyed a rare day off together, the pup chewed through the toilet water line. they returned to massive damage.  While emergency repairs (carpets, walls, etc.) are being made, the shepherds are here (and our dog REALLY didn't want the company).  Should be back to normal in a few days.  I hope this story added a bit of entertainment. 
 Here are pictures from our trip:

Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim

Comments

• Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the pics Gil. I will have to check out their website. Does look like what I remember. Is there still a small lake? I guess the website would have pictures if there is. Those emergencies always happen at the worst times, glad to hear Kathy's Dad should be fine. We had dogs for many years and do understand the humor. So are you guys liking the T@B. Sometimes I think I too should have gotten the new CS with bath, but will be fine with what I have. Thanks for the pictures.
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Jim,

We have the Cs without the bath. It suits us well so far,g curve but we are still adjusting from tent camping.  There is definitely a learning curve.  Yes, they do have a lake with a nice, easily accessible beach.  Cell receptions limited, but available (handy for special needs).  I just noticed you are towing with a Honda, too.  We are using a 2005 Pilot.  Looks like I only averaged 12 mpg on the last trip.   
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    Yes Gil  I have a 2006 Ridgeline and that is got just under 13 on my way to Collins but got less, more like 10, on the return trip. I think it is because we are at about 1350 elevation in Lake County and the trip home is more of a climb in general than the trip there. I think if I were just traveling down I 5 south, essentially flat land I would probably get maybe 15 mpg. I have no problem pulling the hills at the speed limit, but that sure eats up the gas. Oh well still better than the motor home at 6-10 at best. Pulling a Little Guy would probably be a lot better. My bass boat weighs a little less than the T@B and has much less effect on the the mpg. I  know that 1350 is not significant to those pulling the Rockys etc. I have driven those in a motor home and station wagon with a big tent trailer years ago so I do know the difference. Just glad I have a TV that has never given me a problem and is factory ready to tow a trailer like a T@B or larger.  

I have been tied up with jury duty most of October and hope to finish up this week. I want to get back out and camping before the weather turns bad for us. Again good to hear from you and thanks for the pics.

Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline