Options

TV Gas Mileage...

2»

Comments

• Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    edited July 2017
    Drove our 2016 2.5 litter Subaru Outback 6000 miles a few weeks ago with our tab, 8 states including mountain west average 18.8 MPG.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    My 2015 Xterra gets 14-15 towing on the highway.  It gets 13-14 not towing in town, so clearly we should camp more!
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    gbhaneygbhaney Member Posts: 19
    Our TV is a 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring minivan w/o towing pkg., 3.6 L V6. We have had only one trip with our new 2017 T@B S: a trial run of about 800 hilly mi. roundtrip, interstate driving central NJ to Lake George, NY. Temps were in upper 90s both ways and van was fully loaded, including Thule rooftop box. AC on the whole time. Mileage seemed to be 14 mpg. or just under. That trip w/o towing, probably would have mpg around 18 or 19. Same trip, no towing or AC would be about 23 mpg.
    2021 T@B 400 BD.  Silver with black. TV: 2020 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

• Options
    gregndebgregndeb Member Posts: 31
    Our TV is a 2017 Highlander.  We averaged 14.5 towing out west and back.  We did a big loop through the mountains, starting and ending up in Denver.  We got 16.3 or 16.5, don't remember.  The Highlander typically gets 22-24 on the highway w/o the T@B.
    So wind speed seems to be a factor.  We did the mountains typically around 50-55 MPH.  The interstate we stayed about 65 MPH.  Has anyone found what speeds the mileage drops significantly?  I'm guessing somewhere in the 60's......  
    T@B: 2018 320-CS Max
    TV: 2017 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    DptritDptrit Member Posts: 18
    Drove our 2016 2.5 litter Subaru Outback 6000 miles a few weeks ago with our tab, 8 states including mountain west average 18.8 MPG.
    Birdie Jane - Love it! I am looking forward to the same mileage in my Subaru. Had been planning on 15 MPG when towing, glad to hear it! We will do 3200 miles with no T@B, to California,  then 3200 back with a T@B! Anything to look for from the Subaru?? Did you put on the radiator cooler? I plan to install, seems reasonable cost ($350 installed ) or much, much less if you install it yourself. Thank you for the info.

• Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We have not changed anything on the car as of yet. I have considered a transmission cooler. I tracked oil temp for while. Peek temp was 233 while under tow climbing the Rockies. Normal temp not under tow is 208. Under tow in the flat @ hiway speed I.e. For us 60 mph is 226. Would be interesting to see if your idea would lower overall engine temps. 

2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    As a former wrench slinger, I'd bet the transmission cooler would help with overall lower temps. If your cars have automatic transmissions, a tranny cooler would definitely be a very good idea. (I'd consider it a necessity.)

As far as speed, when you consider how much taller & wider the T@B is compared to a smallish car (Subaru, my own VW Jetta, etc.), wind resistance becomes the bogeyman. I found 65 pretty much the cut-off for me. Under 62-65 (as opposed to 65+) made a very big difference in my TV mileage.
  • Options
    lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    ericnliz said:
     8-12 mpg with the '72 Chevy C-10 built 350, but it's sure fun to tow with.

LOL. I get 9 mpg with my 75 CJ5 with built 304 on a good day. And I would be downright terrified to tow with it!
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • Options
    HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    With a 400 thus far 8.9 to 14 MPG interstate driving with the low MPG on Rocky Mt. grades with headwinds  
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
  • Options
    sbhtennissbhtennis Member Posts: 67
    I have a 2013 Ford Escape and have been getting 17 mpg on regular terrain ( e.g. not a lot of mountain driving yet). I found that buying the supreme gas gets me better mileage.
  • Options
    marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
    So after much deliberation and towing back and forth through the Rockies and up and down the AZ mountains, I decided I need some more towing capacity to feel comfortable and safe.  So I bought a new accessory for my T@B...  2017 Ford F150 XL.  No EcoBoost but it wasn't in the budget but I did get a 3.5L V6 engine which is much bigger than my 4-cylynder Escape. So I think I'll be happy.  Getting a backup camera installed next week and besides not having the EcoBoost the other bells and whistles in my package for towing are amazing! I'm going to setup my TV info in the truck today and clean out the garage so I can pull it into its new home.  =)
    M@rilyn
    Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
    But still passionate about the brand!

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited July 2017
    @marilyncp, Sounds like a good, wise choice! Always good to get to a more comfortable, safer place. Time to get out there & enjoy!!! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    Just got 17.5mpg for a 6 hour round trip up and down a mountain. Pretty happy with that.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    janet_ncjanet_nc Member Posts: 6
    13.3 mpg in the NC mountains this past weekend, usually about 21-22 on the downhill run back home to the Piedmont. 2006 Acura MDX.
  • Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    Just got back from a trip from Oklahoma City (Edmond) to San Antonio, TX via I-44, US 81, TX 56, and US 281.  With overnight stops in Santo, TX, Fredricksburg, TX, and Bowie, TX.  All very good roads and the TX speed limit is usually 75mph - too fast for me, we usually tow between 60-65 mph, but there are numerous passing lanes on the TX highways.  We tow with a 2000 Chev Silverado 2500, 6 liter and 3.373 rear end ratio.  Overall mileage, 1093 miles was 12.3 mpg.  Best was 13.5, worst was 11.4.  No significant head/tail winds and the a/c on all the way.

There are some nice hills in the San Antonio area also known as the Texas Hill Country and it is.

We also discovered that we do not enjoy hot weather camping even though the cool-cat a/c worked very well in the heat.  Also, the 12v 2 way Norcold refer worked well.

John
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    Make that a 3.73 rear end ratio.
    John & Cheryl
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    jason330i said:
    Just got 17.5mpg for a 6 hour round trip up and down a mountain. Pretty happy with that.
    What kind of TV are you using... F150? or other?

M@rilyn

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Yay for the TX Hill Country! Lived there for 5 years in the early 90's. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    Sorry I didn't spot your T@B when you were in town (Fredericksburg).  Would have been my first sighting since I brought mine home.  Hope you had a good time but agree with you that camping in hot weather is not the best.  Waiting for the other 8 months of the year to camp!

2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    After the wedding on Saturday, we went to Fredricksburg on Monday on the advice of our Daughter ( lives in Lewisville).  We really enjoyed Fredricksburg, bought some wine and some peach cider and toured the Pacific War Museum - saw pictures of where my Dad was during WWII in New Quinea and Kwajalein Islands.  Neat history of Admiral Nimitz in his wing of the museum and the inert sample of the atom bomb.  Wife did a lot of looking at the shops while I hung out in the shade on a bench by the Courthouse.  By the way, we stayed at the KOA in Fredricksburg.

I failed to mention that during our trip we had a LOT of Zombies wanting to look at or ask questions about Goli@th, at the campgrounds and especially at the gas stations.  We enjoy sharing info about our T@B!
    John
    John & Cheryl
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @cmac, that's wonderful you were able to tour Fredericksburg!! I hope it's still as quaint as it was 20 yrs ago. Many Germans settled there and there's the German influence on the architecture on the historic buildings. OMG peach season.... they have a variety of peach that is so sweet, they have a huge festival. Their peach smoothies rival anything I've had since. The peaches are so sweet, they can't ship them. I'm dr00ling thinking about it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    marilyncp said:
    So after much deliberation and towing back and forth through the Rockies and up and down the AZ mountains, I decided I need some more towing capacity to feel comfortable and safe.  So I bought a new accessory for my T@B...  2017 Ford F150 XL.  No EcoBoost but it wasn't in the budget but I did get a 3.5L V6 engine which is much bigger than my 4-cylynder Escape. So I think I'll be happy.  Getting a backup camera installed next week and besides not having the EcoBoost the other bells and whistles in my package for towing are amazing! I'm going to setup my TV info in the truck today and clean out the garage so I can pull it into its new home.  =) 
    Very nice, you will like it a lot, and yes, you will be much more confident in your ability to take the T@B anywhere.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    You'll like your truck for a TV.  More power, etc.  Also, lots of space in the bed for camping gear, etc. that you just have to have but can't store in the T@B.  We have an ARE hard cover for ours and it works very well and is water and dust tight and lockable, also conceals the contents from curious folks when parked or sightseeing.
    Enjoy!
    John
    John & Cheryl
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    @cmac I've ordered a tri-fold cover!  It's like buying a T@B, you have lots of accessories you want for your truck to make it your own.  =)

M@rilyn

• Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    marilyncp said:
    jason330i said:
    What kind of TV are you using... F150? or other?

2017 Kia Sorento. Basically a midsize crossover SUV with AWD. I try to limit my top speed to 60mph.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    @jason330i Thanks...  I hope to get that type of mileage or better, but I normally drive 65mph, which seems to be legal speed out west for trailers except for CA.
    M@rilyn