Options

Protecting Tab Outback front window

Could not locate forum information on modifications to protect the front window on a 2016 TAB Outback.  I want to add a sill above the window and add an inexpensive shaded 1/2" shaped piece of Plexiglas with a latch setup on the bottom.  Questions are has any one used molly bolts on the shell?  I there a recommend really strong glue for use with the shell?  Thought I remembered the Forum addressed these issues a year or so ago but can not find it now.  Would love to see a side view picture of shell material.  

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Hi Rick, if it were me, I'd call down to Sugarcreek and speak to either Austin Jones or Marvin Raber and get their opinion before taking on a sill.  The walls are more air less a combination of what I'd call a Fiberglas wafer if you will.  The outer exterior is a thin Fiberglas and you would want to make contact with an aluminum frame cross piece for any anchoring task, etc.  

I do like your idea here as other trailers do have Fiberglas covers for front windows with a spring type lock to secure and keep them in place and it protects them from rock hits out on the road.  I had a stargazer window shattered up in Montana about 4 years ago on a 5-wide and that type of damage isn't fun when you are 2K mikes away from home.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    I have a front window that doesn't open or have screens.  Is it replaceable with an opening one without breaking the bank?

2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    This might be a safer option than modifying the T@B wall.  It seems that it would provide adequate window protection. But, I don't see any distributors/installers in Canada.  When I am in Bellingham,Washington I may have it installed depending on the price of the material and installation.https://www.clearplex.com/collections/windshield-protection
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited April 2017

TTTab said:

I have a front window that doesn't open or have screens.  Is it replaceable with an opening one without breaking the bank?

I asked Austin about this last month. It is doable. The cost is the window was under $300, you would probably my expect and hour of labor, 0kus you will need the new blind/screen, which was somewhere just south of $150, if I recall correctly.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    Thanks Jenn!

2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Find a 3m car bra dealer/installer in your area. The thin film is designed to protect paint from chipping and would be great for bouncing rocks away from the Lexan plus you can see through it, wash it without scratching, tree limbs wont scar it etc.