Options

Replacing the Gravity Water Fill

I want to replace the gravity water fill ( the one with the flip-out door on a T@B) with one that has the turn-on cap.
Has anyone done this, and what problems may I encounter?  Thanks for any information.
2017 T@B Outback
Toyota Tacoma
Western Slope Colorado

Comments

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    @jkjenn - didn't you post an article about this?
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    TimeoutTimeout Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the post, but I can't see (or find) the photo mentioned in the link.
    2017 T@B Outback
    Toyota Tacoma
    Western Slope Colorado
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Timeout, Here 'ya go...go to Amazon, type in Jr Products Polar White Gravity Dish     It will take you right to it. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Thanks, I thought the picture might be about a actual installation.
    2017 T@B Outback
    Toyota Tacoma
    Western Slope Colorado
  • Options
    @Timeout, Did you scroll down on the link to jkjenn's article? She describes the installation.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If your hose to your fresh water tank has enough slack, it's a 15 minute job. Mine didn't have enough slack, so I had Marvin at the factory take care of it. Maybe the hose was hanging up on something, but he had it done in about 5 minutes.  Yes, he's that good!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I had enough hose slack - but barely when I replaced mine.  Working behind the potty wall was a tight fit even for my small hands. Use a square-head screwdriver that doesn't have interchangeable bits. You'll lose a bit to the T@B gods. I also used a radiator clamp around the hose to the fill just in case the bouncing on the road jiggled the hose loose. Make sure all sealant is removed from the original gravity fill if any was used.

I used butyl putty around the new filler's edges to seal them and some leftover lap seal in the screw holes. Do not over tighten the screws. I loved the new twist on cap and the opening was the perfect fit for my 2.5 gal fresh water jug's spout. It would seal and push any air bubbles down causing air lock (preventing me from completely filling the tank).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I added a photo. The previous photo was hosted on a site that is gone.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    I have a question.  If I understand the fill system(s) the open/gravity fed water fill ensured a no overfill or rupture of the storage tank.  Would it be possible to overfill and then rupture the storage tank with the now closed,hose fed system?  When do you know when to turn the hose off?  I may have mistaken or not understood the mod.  Thanks.
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    Thanks everyone.  There is no slack in the hose and we're to far from the factory, so we'll see what we can figure out.........
    2017 T@B Outback
    Toyota Tacoma
    Western Slope Colorado
  • Options

I have a question.  If I understand the fill system(s) the open/gravity fed water fill ensured a no overfill or rupture of the storage tank.  Would it be possible to overfill and then rupture the storage tank with the now closed,hose fed system?  When do you know when to turn the hose off?  I may have mistaken or not understood the mod.  Thanks.

No. When you fill your water tank, go slow. When it is about half full, it will start sloshing out of the fill or the overflow. Stop and let it quit sloshing--yes, you can hear it sloshing in the tank. Now slowly fill it again until it starts flowing out of the tank fill. You can hear the difference when it starts to get close to full. It will always come out of the tank, rather than stay in the tank. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited October 2023
    After adding to another forum thread, I found this one.  Here is where my post is..

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/1398/new-fresh-water-fill/p1

" I thought it would be a piece of cake"....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited October 2023

TerryV6 said:

After adding to another forum thread, I found this one.  Here is where my post is..

http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/1398/new-fresh-water-fill/p1

" I thought it would be a piece of cake"....

Famous last words.... I think I said something similar this past Sunday before I drilled a hole in my left middle finger. More words were said after that... things best forgotten!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I sent a note on to the factory earlier today and asked them to consider using a screw on type fresh water fill point as opposed to the current round panel that lifts up.  I'm sure that the current fill point cover has created more frustration than not for those of you who struggle to get water into the fresh water tank, only to have the lid pop off.  When I am inserting a hose into the opening there never seems to be enough clearance and KAPOW!  

Keep your fingers crossed!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Temp solution was the insert you can put on the end of your hose with the on-off valve, but I agree, and like jenn, I had to replace it because the flap broke and wouldn't stay on.
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike, I think your suggestion to the factory is a great one. Mine has survived coming off (the fill lid) several times, but every time it happens, it makes me wonder if it will be the LAST time it goes back on! I have recently gone to the filler that @Ratkity mentioned above. Not only does it fill faster, and better with a lot less air bubbles to deal with, but you can also hear it when it's about full, and adjust the flow accordingly. I've been able to get a lot more water in the tank without having to mess with trapped air. The added bonus....dry feet! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    There is a right and a wrong way to snap the original cover back on. If you put it on correctly it will not come off without serious effort. Just my experience.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The wrong way is to fill with a 5 gallon jug that is too heavy for me to lift high enough. That was the last straw for my cover. I'm much happier with the new fresh water fill. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

ericnliz said:

@Michigan_Mike, I think your suggestion to the factory is a great one. Mine has survived coming off (the fill lid) several times, but every time it happens, it makes me wonder if it will be the LAST time it goes back on! I have recently gone to the filler that @Ratkity mentioned above. Not only does it fill faster, and better with a lot less air bubbles to deal with, but you can also hear it when it's about full, and adjust the flow accordingly. I've been able to get a lot more water in the tank without having to mess with trapped air. The added bonus....dry feet! :)

Of course, you've just ruined your redneck foot washer, you know that, right? :wink:
  • Options
    Z_GZ_G Member Posts: 38
    Use a section from a hose, put jug on front tub above the level of the water intake, stick hose in jug, suck on loose end or use a siphon starter then stick hose into water intake when water starts flowing. Don't pour just siphon.
  • Options
    @Ratkity, You Do realize that there are places in the Pacific North West that having webbed feet is the norm, right? ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited April 2017

ericnliz said:

@Ratkity, You Do realize that there are places in the Pacific North West that having webbed feet is the norm, right? ;)

I've heard rumors, never witnessed.

All us kids in the south grew up dunking each other in da swimmin' hole, looking out for horse flies, playing Marco-Polo and "lake shark", grab the greased watermelon, plus a myriad of other redneck water games. Mom accused us of having webbed feet, but you couldn't tell through all the dirt (no one wore shoes in the summer). Flip-flops cost $1 a pair and lasted for about 2 weeks if you were lucky. lol. Alas, ya sometimes wonder how we survived childhood!

Edited to add: Yet another successful thread derailment!! lol
  • Options
    I know what 'ya mean. When I lived in Ga., ducking horse flies always became a water game. Now here in the PNW, it's deer flies. Don't think I had a matching pair of flip-flops for more than a week. ( 'Course having 4 brothers MIGHT have had something to do with that too!)  ;) Never made it past the back door fully clothed when we were kids. Mom would hear the screen door, and all you heard was "STRIP RIGHT THERE, YOU'RE NOT COMING IN MY HOUSE LIKE THAT!" Nuff said? =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I hear ya, eric! "Wipe your feet! I just did the floors! Don't you dare walk in here like that". Of course, there my special yell when I finished my evening paper route in the hot summer sun and wanted a drink of water... "Don't you dare use a cup and get newsprint all over it! Get a glass!" Glass? I had little sisters. There were no glasses left, unless we recently got detergent with a glass inside (remember that and green stamps?).
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Oh, the wonders of green stamps. Used to drive my dad crazy. "Have you seen my green stamp book?" I even remember when you'd get a free glass at the gas stations once in a while too. ( When they were actually "service" stations! ) Glass of water, hah! "Get your muddy feet outa' here and go use the hose!" Even used to get free A&W mugs too! Loved root beer floats & Papa burgers! Oh, and Coney Dog Tuesday's. Now I'm just gettin' hungry.....I'll be back.........................maybe. ;)  
    OOOPS, I think we just hi-jacked another one! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243

Ratkity said:

(remember that and green stamps?).

Well, I still have several complete books of Green Stamps - maybe Amazon will take them in exchange for a new water inlet for the T@B. 

But back on topic, has anyone compared Valterra versus JR gravity water inlets? I'm leaning toward the Valterra based on pics and reviews....
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    edited April 2017
    @Estancio, Have to agree from what I've read here, the Vaterra seems an easier replacement.
    Sorry 'bout the side-track.....oh, and free donut holes.....no baker could ever resist 5 sad pairs of eyes watchin 'em make donuts through the window!  :o:)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @Estancio, I got the JR Products 321-A-23-A Polar White Gravity Water Dish and don't remember having any big issues installing it other than it was a tight fit for my hands to get behind the wall of the shower where the pump was on my 2015 T@B. I had enough hose. It has a 1" connection on the back (with "barbs" not a smooth one). The Valterra seems to have a 1.5" connection with barbs. From what everyone has said, the extra length of the hose connect may be beneficial.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861

Ratkity said:

ericnliz said:

Of course, you've just ruined your redneck foot washer, you know that, right? :wink:

This is why I've never used the foot wash.  I think the bike rack has handled more water weight since it's install than bikes!

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ