Options

New Tab Owner

foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
Picking up my new Tab next week.  Know nothing about trailers OR towing them so I will be relying on this forum for all the help I can get!  A bit more than a little nervous about the whole thing but ready for the adventure.
2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @foxden, Everyone here was new to this at one time or another. Please know you came to the right place for good info & help. Welcome aboard, and don't be afraid to ask questions. By the way, your trailer name should be St@rdust!  Just sayin'. ;) The more you get accustomed to both towing, and your trailer, the anxiety level will go down tremendously. Hang in there, and most of all, have fun! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @ericnliz, Thanks for that!  Your are right and I will be changing that to St@rdust.  Looking forward to time on the road and meeting fellow Tab owners.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Congratulations! This forum is a great place for all sorts of info. We just brought our T@B MaxS home last Friday, same colors as yours, same towing experience.  We practiced on an almost empty road by the dealer then headed home. We did just fine, and you will, too! Have fun with it!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Congrats, welcome aboard, and you will have happy t@bbing! We picked our t@b up May 14, 2016 and like you had no experience with rv's or any type of camping, but we took the leap and had the greatest trip of our lives a few months later. We had only one weekend for practice and then embarked on the epic adventure of our family: 6 weeks, 10,000 miles, 21 states and every national park we could make out west. The t@b made it possible and allowed us to meet nice people everywhere we travelled. With the forum close at hand we felt we would be able to handle any unusual or unfortunate mechanical instances that might occur. Nothing but wonderful, adventurous times happened. Look forward and you'll go there!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    Sounds like you did very well.  We just downsized from a 32ft class A so this forum on storage has been very useful.  We'll find out in 3 days when we leave.
  • Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    As a follow Texan - welcome to the f@mily!   If there's any advice I can share so far - take it slow and easy.  Many newbies (like me) are all about the destination and visiting as many places as they can.   But I've read so much from the veterans - it's the journey too so my plans are after 35 years in corporate America of busting my butt (still not retired) around deadlines - is to slow down and enjoy the journey!  A very wise mentor of mine said many years ago...it's not the things you have, but the memories AND values you have and leave behind.  
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2017
    Congratulations!   

Some good observations above and with time and travel you will settle in to becoming a "seasoned & confident" hand setting up, using and towing your trailer as we were all newbies out of the gate and with familiarity and practice you'll be just fine!

One thing you'll find out when driving is that there will always be some inconsiderate individual(s) who will tailgate your trailer or suddenly dart in front of you and about 2-4' in front of you (what are these folks thinking!!?) trying to get into the next lane in an effort to exit the expressway.   This raises my ire and when I do feel someone is too close for comfort I will occasionally flip on my 4-way flashers to let them know they are too close and normally these people do back off and increase the interval of travel behind me.   

Settling in at a comfortable speed is the key and staying away from high speed travel will reduce heating of your tires and creating a possible blow out.  Do maintain and check your tire pressure often too, especially before heading out on each trip to ensure proper inflation and do a thorough walk around pre-trip inspection as well to make sure you've got everything hooked up properly, things are stowed properly inside the trailer and that everything is as it should be.  

Have a blast and post up some shots of your new trailer when time permits!

Safe travels!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @foxden, What Mike said, absolutely agree. Have fun out there & congrats!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DebM11DebM11 Member Posts: 26
    Even when something untold happens you survive and go out again to enjoy the next journey. We picked up our T@b last November from North Carolina and on the way back had a car accident. Young guy on I-95 middle of Richmond, Va decides to enter the highway in front of us, trouble is his entrance lane was to short to speed ahead of us. He hit our front passenger fender and by a miracle missed our trailer. Husband was driving, swerved and brought us back into our lane safely with no one hurt. 
    So fully agree that people can and should go around you! Although I still flinch in the passenger seat when people are entering the highway next to us, so just try to close my eyes and think happy thoughts. 
    SOLD: My T@BLEAU
    2016 Max S Silver & Lt Blue T@B, 2007 Lexus 400h, Rockville & Port Republic, Maryland

Now riding/driving a Thor Vegas, 24.1 around the country
  • Options
    @DebM11 Glad to hear that you made it through ok.  Heads up driving always!  I have definitely learned to relax while towing but I hope I never let down my guard.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    @clinck - that's my favorite speed as well. So although CA traffic can be insane, I LOVE their law --- anyone towing has a max of 55mph. Wish all the states were like that so if one has to be on an interstate, it's a much calmer atmosphere. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Well said @clinck I have always been the person on the road trip who packed sandwiches/snacks and only stopped to get gas and hit the bathroom (and always in combination).  Decided my arrival time before the trip and usually was accurate within just a few minutes no matter how long the trip.  The goal was to get where I was going as efficiently as possible.  Recent retirement and my new Tab are teaching me that it really is the journey that counts and I am (slowly) learning to enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Agreed. The interstate highway system is the easiest way to bypass America. ;)

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited May 2017

Agreed. The interstate highway system is the easiest way to bypass America. ;)

On back roads someone drives and someone navigates and hopes he or she doesn't make mistakes on unfamiliar roads. On interstates the driver can yell at the Garmin.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    Loved reading your first impressions.  I could have written them myself.  it is amazing to see the T@B following right behind!!  And good to read about optimum speeds and safe driving tips.  We are going to Michigan with our "new" T@B in 2 weeks and are not looking forward to driving through Chicago.   Any tips?  Going to Lansing from Wisconsin so through the UP is not really an option!