Maiden Voyage - What I learned

LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
edited May 2017 in Camping & Travel
So, I'm definitely new to all this.  My T@B is the first RV I've ever owned and the first thing I've really towed.  Hopefully my experiences will help other newbies!

Things I learned on the maiden voyage in my T@B.

1. OMG...its really fun.

2. Towing on freeways in congestion is challenging.

3. The T@B, with its short length, is very responsive to the smallest "tweaks" when backing up. I still have a lot to practice in the "backing up department."

4. I will be moving the paper towel holder from the stove side to the sink side. Paper towels over stove = bad fire hazard. Luckily, I noted what was going to happen -before- I actually lit the burner.

5.Emptying the tanks is easy-peasy. I was silly to be nervous about it.

6. Remember to open the roof vent and turn on the fan before attempting to cook something that will make even a small amount of smoke. (Poor kid...I was cooking pancakes, set off the smoke alarm. She was sound asleep, awoke quickly and sat up, whacking her head on the cabinet over the bed.)

7. The battery in the smoke detector can be quickly removed. :) Yes, I did put it back in after a few minutes.

8. The Alde rocks. Having hot water and heat was lovely.

9. The Q1200 grill is wonderful. Would.Buy.Again.

10. My major problem solving test was leveling the trailer side-to-side. It was a bit muddy and uneven. I had trouble getting the BAL on to the tire as the tire had sunk just a fraction into the mud. If only I had some way to take the weight off the tire just a smidge....Oh! Right. I put the stabilizers down on the side I was working on and just tightened them enough to relieve the pressure. Then, I pushed the BAL on, raised the stabilizers, and levelled the trailer.

11. Very thankful I had an extension to the 30A power cord. The post was positioned so that the distance from the gravel pad to the plugin was longer than the cord...even though I parked as close as possible.

12. One person came by and took a photo of the trailer. Another was interested in my surge protector.

13. Don't forget a laundry bag. :)

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!

Comments

• Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    Thank you for sharing that. Good to know! Keep forgetting about the laundry bag!
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    LauraRey thanks for all this! Was your extension cord also 30 amp? How long is your fresh water hose, and was it long enough? I've got a 25' one.

I've spent part of today settling in, part out buying more necessary and not so necessary stuff. I'm thinking of hanging the paper towel holder over the door. I saw a pic of someone who did that and it works. To the left of the sink makes that area seem smaller. I also want to velcro in some small baskets or something like that to hold chargers and whatever small is being charged up off the counter. On the stove side I want to put the same kind of basket(wood, clear plastic, or wire) to hold some counter items. I picked up some velcro and have found a home for the Jensen and tv remotes on the wall to the left of the tv. I go back and forth over the WeberQ. I'd also like a small propane camp fire set up outside. I can see a hot mug of tea in the morning by a fire that I can turnoff and not worry about embers all day. We've had two wicked fire seasons in a row with a lot of burn bans all summer into fall.

I'm also a bit overwhelmed! While I have always been very good at puzzles and spatial relations kind of stuff I am trying to envision how everything I want in will actually fit. I know that when I finally start camping in it that things will make more sense. Todays big decision is that the sleeping bags will probably go in the TV. 

My first big mod is to replace the table top. I want some thing a bit shorter and in the wood family. I picked up a nice inlaid bamboo cutting board that seems the right size. That's tomorrow's project!

Again, thanks for sharing!

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    Yes, it is a 30amp.  It came packaged in a nice tight bundle.  Once opened, it sprawled.  I read that someone used a milk crate for storing, so I tried it.  I doubled it so both end are accessible.  I think this is a good solution!
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
    That set up would work nicely for the water hose and gear, too. Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Great info.  I was a victim of #6 the first time I cooked and good thinking on #10 for the BAL.  I'll need to remember that!  Getting ready for a trip to PA in a coup,e weeks...excited to get out in M@bel M@y after the winter!
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    What is the size of the milk crate?  Do you then keep it on the TV

2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  

TTTab said:

What is the size of the milk crate?  Do you then keep it on the TV

Uhm....its a smallish one. (I've had it forever to be honest.  I'm not sure what size it is.  If you want, I can take a tape measure to it.)  And, yes, it fits in the trunk of my truck.
  • TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    I went to Amazon and looked for milk crates and there were different sizes and prices.  Where did you buy yours?
    2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
    edited April 2017

TTTab said:

I went to Amazon and looked for milk crates and there were different sizes and prices.  Where did you buy yours?

I measured the interior and it is 12 x 12 x 10.5.  (L x W x D)   https://www.amazon.ca/Buddeez-MC01016BLK-Crates-16-Quart-2-Pack/dp/B00I9VP9NU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492521095&sr=8-2&keywords=milk+crates

@TTTab you can also find these totes or similar at the dollar stores. Good luck!
  • TamsonWITamsonWI Member Posts: 25
    @LauraRey - Great list!  DH and I just had our maiden voyage this weekend as well.  Have to completely agree with 1,2, 5, 8, and 9!  And we too had a challenge with the BAL leveler on dirt - ended up using a mallet on it and also the stabilizer.  Our lessons learned: never set up/tear down when you're hungry, don't be in a rush, keep the counter as clear as possible because it's the only flat space to shift items when putting the bed together, and use the TV more for storage of clothes.  Oh, and slip on shoes are a must!!!

But really, really, it was a blast and can't wait to go again!
    Tamson and Shannon, Hudson, WI
    2017 T@B Outback MaxS, 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    In an emergency you can use a regular heavy duty outdoor power cord in the pedestal's 15A outlet if you have a 30A/15A adapter. Just can't run the A/C, but everything else will work. (Can't use the party lights either since that's what the extension cord was for.) We encountered the same situation at a campsite. Ordered the 30A extension on my phone and always bring it - since then we've camped at one other site like that. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

TamsonWI said:

@LauraRey - Great list!  DH and I just had our maiden voyage this weekend as well.  Have to completely agree with 1,2, 5, 8, and 9!  And we too had a challenge with the BAL leveler on dirt - ended up using a mallet on it and also the stabilizer.  Our lessons learned: never set up/tear down when you're hungry, don't be in a rush, keep the counter as clear as possible because it's the only flat space to shift items when putting the bed together, and use the TV more for storage of clothes.  Oh, and slip on shoes are a must!!!

But really, really, it was a blast and can't wait to go again!

I agree that the counter needs to stay clear.  And, we use the same rule about shoes as we did when tent camping...so slip-on shoes are vital.  A lot of what we did tent camping transferred well.  We kept all our shoes in a clear plastic box (with lid) outside and when it started raining, we were able to just scoot it under the trailer.  Usually, we would just bring it in the tent.
  • JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    We have many large storage buckets around the house. ( restaurants will also give you one). I use one for power cord, hose, cleaner, and various hose attachments. It travels just inside the T@B door and is the first thing out and the last thing in. Has a lid so it stays dry. It does end up in all my pictures, so now everybody knows. 
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • ReadyToExploreReadyToExplore Member Posts: 1
    I have had the issue with the BAL also. I have resolved this by pulling on to a 4"x 4" x 1/2" piece of wood under the low side. It raises the tire just enough to easily slide the BAL under the tire. 
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    edited April 2017

"Just can't run the A/C, but everything else will work"

I'm glad you brought that up because I've been pondering this for some time but haven't had the opportunity to investigate since I'm not near my T@B at the moment and it might be a week or so before I can verify it. But what is the current draw of the air conditioner in the T@B? It's just a standard 5,000 BTU home window unit. These plug into 15 amp household plugs, unless I'm missing something. Why wouldn't you be able to run it if plugged into an adapter?

I'm curious about this as I was planning to run a 30 amp plug in my garage when we move in next month so that I could run the AC occasionally and it just occurred to me that maybe I didn't need to.

[Edit to add: Of course, this would assume that I was not running the refrigerator and Alde at the same time I was doing this, so that my entire draw wouldn't exceed the AC.]

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @marknjudy, a 30 amp plug would be wonderful to have in the garage, or on the outside of the garage. I have run my A/C for short periods of time on my separate 20 amp breaker in the garage, but nothing else was running in the T@B. The problem with the A/C is the start-up voltage/amps required as the compressor kicks on. That's what most people don't take into consideration. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking, Verna. I probably will go ahead and run a 30 amp plug because I may get in trouble and have to sleep in it while it's in the garage one day. =) Seriously, though, I was mainly wondering because for the most part, I would just be plugging it in to keep the battery topped off. It will be nice, however, to turn on the refrigerator the day before a trip to cool it down; and occasionally, with everything else turned off, I'd like to run the AC for a while to dry out any moisture or what have you as Texas summers can be brutal even in an enclosed, shaded garage. But I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to damage the inverter or something else.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Converter, Mark ;)  I give mine a break now and then and plug in a Battery Tender Jr, but I've been in and out of the T@B so I have it plugged into the 20 amp plug to use the lights right now. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    DOH!!! My bad. I'm at work, so my mind is thinking about CT Scanners and the like. Yes, converter! And one of my next purchases will be a Battery Tender Jr.
  • drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    And...when setting up for our first trip my wife said we needed sleeping bags.  Me-"Na, mattress pad, sheets, and blankets will work fine.  After our first night we were at Big 5 when the doors opened to get sleeping bags.  Ah, well.
    @drpprmt that's good to know since I figured we would use our sleeping bags since we have them. They add another layer of cushioning along with the Thermarest Hiker pads I found.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Drpprmt- why the sleeping bag?  Did you use the Alde?  Was it for padding purposes?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @drpprmt, Sounds like 'ya lost yer vote. Get a new coin, and go two outa' three next time! =)
    (just so 'ya know, we use sheets & blankets!) :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• SharonKSharonK Member Posts: 22

Been there, done that!!!!  Luckily, some folks are nice enough to let you in - UNLESS you are in Atlanta anguished

• wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited April 2017
    The A/C needs 1500-1800w to start, but only uses 450w when running.  I measured with my kill-a-watt.  Very easy for any standard 15A breaker to handle.  This is for the Friedrich model 5000 BTU.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @2Cougs, Have 'ya at least pushed it to a different spot in the driveway for a little different view? =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Just returned from my PA trip and had the Sam problem with the BAL (#10).  Thanks for the tip...it worked!
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.