Options

Solar Panel Roof Mounting with Tilt Bracket

Anyone try these?

Adjustable Solar Panel Mount Mounting Rack Bracket -- Boat, RV, Roof, Off-Grid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SBCKLYO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_L2T-ybTMKS2W6

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    bump
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Looks like it might be something that I could use with the panel I bought. I have not yet mounted mine and you have given me another idea. Good luck with yours.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    edited April 2017

Estancio said:

Looks like it might be something that I could use with the panel I bought. I have not yet mounted mine and you have given me another idea. Good luck with yours.

@Estancio - were you going to mount to the roof? I think I will try wiring via the air conditioner grille, curious what your wiring path will be. I've purchased the bracket because it has such good reviews, better than others and allows tilting in both directions, which is what I wanted. 
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I could see something like that on a flat roof of lets say a larger trailer, but would opt for flexible solar panels if I was going to consider mounting panels to my T@B.  I had considered the flexible panels early on but do prefer the portable aspect of my Zamp suitcase unit and the ability to transfer it to other trailers should I decide to sell my T@B.  I do in fact plan to use it on another trailer that sits on a site down in Arizona.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options

I could see something like that on a flat roof of lets say a larger trailer, but would opt for flexible solar panels if I was going to consider mounting panels to my T@B.  I had considered the flexible panels early on but do prefer the portable aspect of my Zamp suitcase unit and the ability to transfer it to other trailers should I decide to sell my T@B.  I do in fact plan to use it on another trailer that sits on a site down in Arizona.  

From the other thread where I inquired about flexible solar panels, a significant number of the people who had actually installed them, had swapped for suit cases, or purchased suit cases in addition. Based on actual user experience, flexible panels would not perform as well as a fixed panel that was oriented towards sunlight. Whether it's on the ground, or on the roof, is in theory, not relevant. I hate to carry equipment and set it up outside, so for me, I'd really like to get the roof mounted working. I am not sure right now whether I'll drive with it on, or carry in car and have option of ground stand or roof mounting, need more data to decide. And a bit of sun would be really helpful right now. I know this may come as a shock, but it's cloudy and rainy here in Seattle.   :o
    Seattle, WA
  • Options

AldebaranJill said:

Based on actual user experience, flexible panels would not perform as well as a fixed panel that was oriented towards sunlight. Whether it's on the ground, or on the roof, is in theory, not relevant. 

That's why I went with the suit case setup as it does give me the ability to move the panel, position it for optimum sunlight and sun angle.  It's also easier to transport in my pickup truck as opposed to a car.  Had I not had the truck I probably would have  gotten a smaller panel.  I used an 80 watt Zamp panel for around 4-5 years and with the two 6 volt batteries currently in my T@B the 200 watt panel has been a godsend and I really am happy with the way it tops off the batteries.  
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike - 200W is impressive indeed, it's a suitcase? That would take a truck. The 100W fits into my backseat. I've got the wiring set up so that in theory, I could get an extention cable and position it on the ground, so I could have max flexibility. I don't know yet how it will work, so want to leave options open. I need SUN!!!
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Yes, it's a suitcase model.  You'd need to look at the dimensions but don't believe you'd want to put it in a car as it's pretty large.  It's impressive and I love it as it charges things up nicely and kicks butt!   =)
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike - I am seeing how shadows from objects really impact performance, I have a very tall vent cover, am contemplating lower profile, which vent cover do you have? I see one in your photo I believe.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options

@Michigan_Mike - I am seeing how shadows from objects really impact performance, I have a very tall vent cover, am contemplating lower profile, which vent cover do you have? I see one in your photo I believe.

I've got an Aerflo vent cover.  This is the second AF vent cover I've had and I like it.  I agree that some are very large and look boxy to me.  But hey, to each his own as we all have different ideas.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @AldebaranJill, I have seen mention "somewhere" of how many and which models of solar panels shut down completely when part of the panel is shaded. That may be something worthwhile for you to Google so you can find out how much shading it takes to shut down your solar panel.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike - I'll order the AeroFlo then, it's three inches shorter than the one I have now, which could mean the difference from casting shadow that hits the panel, vs misses it when the sun is not overhead.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options

Verna said:

@AldebaranJill, I have seen mention "somewhere" of how many and which models of solar panels shut down completely when part of the panel is shaded. That may be something worthwhile for you to Google so you can find out how much shading it takes to shut down your solar panel.  

I've already done real-life testing yesterday. Avoiding shadows from nearby objects is very important especially since I control where it's mounted. (My panel is Renogy 100W Monocrystalline, from their website it's the only type of cell they sell, and from a quick review of Zamp, too). Mounting it on a roof where there's a nearby object that throws shade makes no sense regardless of which panel technology.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2/

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @AldebaranJill, If I may put in 2 cents worth. I have the Renogy 100W suitcase model, and used mine all summer last year in both full sun, partial sun, and shade. The mounting bracket that you have mentioned at the beginning of this post would work awesome for you as it has a lot more versatility to it than does the stock one on my panel. Being able not only to move it around, but the many vertical, and angle adjustments would work really well for you in my opinion. Sounds like you've done your homework, and I wish you the best in your install!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options

ericnliz said:

@AldebaranJill, If I may put in 2 cents worth. I have the Renogy 100W suitcase model, and used mine all summer last year in both full sun, partial sun, and shade. The mounting bracket that you have mentioned at the beginning of this post would work awesome for you as it has a lot more versatility to it than does the stock one on my panel. Being able not only to move it around, but the many vertical, and angle adjustments would work really well for you in my opinion. Sounds like you've done your homework, and I wish you the best in your install!

Thank you for this because yes, I do tons of research, and your note really made me feel good :-)

I wish I had a to-scale drawing of the side of the T@B to figure out the exact sweet spot location to avoid a shadow when the sun is in the front of the trailer (assuming mounting behind vent). The brackets arrive tomorrow, and so should be able to temp mount with some sticky tape and get some photographs from the side to figure out the best spot. Now, if I could mount the brackets on a swivel/lazy susan, I could get all directions and spent my whole camping day adjusting it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @AldebaranJill, And....if you could figure out a cool lawn chair adapter, you could get a 360* tan too! B)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

@Michigan_Mike - I'll order the AeroFlo then, it's three inches shorter than the one I have now, which could mean the difference from casting shadow that hits the panel, vs misses it when the sun is not overhead.

Jill keep in mind the AreoFlo is not designed for the Fantastic Fan. They are a very high  volume fan and need a lot of open surface area to work properly. It's not that they will not work. It will effect the volume of air that can be moved on the higher speeds. I do like the lower profile. Do you know what the overall  height of the vent cover is ?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    edited April 2017

I wish I had a to-scale drawing of the side of the T@B 

HERE YOU ARE.....all dimension in inches. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options

Estancio said:

I wish I had a to-scale drawing of the side of the T@B 

HERE YOU ARE.....all dimension in inches. 

Wow, thank you!!!
    Seattle, WA
  • Options

Jill keep in mind the AreoFlo is not designed for the Fantastic Fan. They are a very high  volume fan and need a lot of open surface area to work properly. It's not that they will not work. It will effect the volume of air that can be moved on the higher speeds. I do like the lower profile. Do you know what the overall  height of the vent cover is ?

The cover I have now is 10" and the AeroFlo is 7" - From reading, the AeroFlo has openings on all 3 sides, while my fan cover has 1 side with openings. I rarely have the fan on it's highest speed, so for me I believe it should serve the purpose assuming it's as easy to remove as the other cover (which uses cotter pins). I'm hoping the posts line up and I can reuse the cotter pin method. Maybe I can devise some kind of wind volume test to show you the difference between the two. :-)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    The AreoFlo is better looking. If it will clear my garage door I will get one.
    Like you I  rarely use the high speed setting.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options

ericnliz said:

@AldebaranJill, And....if you could figure out a cool lawn chair adapter, you could get a 360* tan too! B)

=)  Like a rotisserie! 
    Seattle, WA
  • Options

The AreoFlo is better looking. If it will clear my garage door I will get one.
    Like you I  rarely use the high speed setting.

I will figure out a way to measure the flow for you, with the one I have now, and the AeroFlo (assuming I like how it installs), maybe I can make a tiny colorful wind sock. And I can confirm the height.
    Seattle, WA