Options

Removing Original Spare Tire Mount

dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
Those of you that have moved the spare tire to the front, what did you do with the original spare tire mount? Did you leave it in place or remove it? If it is removed, does anything need to be done with the bolt studs? Not sure if it matters but I'm considering this for at 2017 320 Basic S.
2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82

dsatwork said:

Those of you that have moved the spare tire to the front, what did you do with the original spare tire mount? Did you leave it in place or remove it? If it is removed, does anything need to be done with the bolt studs? Not sure if it matters but I'm considering this for at 2017 320 Basic S.

I used the original spare tire mount to install my sewer hose carrier underneath. I designed a bracket and had a steel fabricator make it for me. It costs about $50.00. The hose carrier is the 46 inch one and when centered, fits perfectly between the stabilizer jacks.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    @Lil_Lucy That is a great idea... although I think @Dalehelman mounted one back there and it looked like he just mounted it right to the body. I think you hit wood down there?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    Mine is not attached to the body at all. The bracket is made from a 3/16" steel plate that is bent up 90 degrees. The hose carrier is bolted right to that. Even though it is plenty sturdy enough, I did attach hanger straps on the ends just in case the bolts ever loosen up. Just a little insurance so I won't loose it. It's been this way for almost 2 years and I've never had a problem with it.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options

Lil_Lucy said:

Mine is not attached to the body at all. The bracket is made from a 3/16" steel plate that is bent up 90 degrees. The hose carrier is bolted right to that. Even though it is plenty sturdy enough, I did attach hanger straps on the ends just in case the bolts ever loosen up. Just a little insurance so I won't loose it. It's been this way for almost 2 years and I've never had a problem with it.

very nice mod....love it
  • Options
    We'll after removing the wheel and mount it's pretty obvious that the studs just stay in place. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Yup--the bolt heads appear to be buried in the T@B innards and not accessible in any way. When I removed my bracket I think I put the bolts back on with some large washers, and maybe even a sealing washer for good measure. It was probably overkill, but I wasn't really confident in how well the bolt holes were sealed, and wanted to keep road grime from working its way into the floor layers.
    2015 T@B S

• Options

ScottG said:

Yup--the bolt heads appear to be buried in the T@B innards and not accessible in any way. When I removed my bracket I think I put the bolts back on with some large washers, and maybe even a sealing washer for good measure. It was probably overkill, but I wasn't really confident in how well the bolt holes were sealed, and wanted to keep road grime from working its way into the floor layers.

I agree and like you, I just tightened the nut back on to the bolt. But, I only used the lock washer that was previously being used to hold the mount to the frame.