Jeep Wrangler re geared, supercharged and 1st 450 mile weekend

NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
I was worried the weekend play rig wasnt going to be a T@B puller with the lift and 37" tires. We use it off road in the Oregon Dunes, Snow trips ( think 2-4 feet) and trail running Rubicon, Fordyce etc. I re geared it to 4:88 then installed a Sprintex supercharger and am on my 2nd custom tune with OST Dyno. We made a 450 mile loop through the Mountains of the NW and it didnt skip a beat. Exhaust temps cool, trans and coolant temps normal with TONS of power. Anyone with a 3.6 Jeep will love the mods.

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    NICE setup!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Lookin' good!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    I seriously debated regearing my JKU. I think it would make a tremendous difference in performance. I was running stock Rubicon tires/rims on a Sahara with a 2.5" AEV lift. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

jkjenn said:

I seriously debated regearing my JKU. I think it would make a tremendous difference in performance. I was running stock Rubicon tires/rims on a Sahara with a 2.5" AEV lift. 

Geeeesh, you Jeep Peeps! :) I only say that lovingly because my sis' BF is one of thems. There's a special language and I bet a secret handshake too!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105

jkjenn said:

Rubicons after 2012 came with the 3:73 vs the 4:10 of the earlier versions. I had thought mine was a 4:10 and was keeping it on 35's. Knew that I would regear, went 37s and 4:88s. acted very similar to stock tires with 3:73s before the supercharger.

Sahara's came with 3:21 unless the RPO was ordered for a deeper gear.

Thanks for the comments, it's been a fun build and the combination gets alot of attention when we fuel up. Have had one guy in a Ford truck along the trail say " I cant believe you pulled a trailer back here".

• texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2017
    Nice rig.  I'm pulling mine with a 2016 Rubi with 2.5 lift on 33s.   I wasn't willing to regear (not yet anyway) and it pulls great.  You do have to be careful with TV weight and loading it and trailer.   Encourages me to keep things simple.   I would be interested on how you mileage is playing out.  When pulling, I've gone from really bad to.....I don't even look and fill up when gas is available.  
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
    See? See? They speak in tongues! Or um, type in them. :pensive:

@Ratkity, Yea, and 'yer different how......? ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

The only other language I speak is "Harvey" and there's only a few words... Doritos, cheesy poofs, snack bag.....Amazon password... :lol:
    @Ratkity, If Harvey has your Amazon password, you probably now have a lifetime supply of cheesy Doritos, Cheese puffs, and numerous snack bags!  =)
    Spokane, Wa.

ericnliz said:

@Ratkity, If Harvey has your Amazon password, you probably now have a lifetime supply of cheesy Doritos, Cheese puffs, and numerous snack bags!  =)

I think he's got them on a timed delivery so he gets them when he knows I'm going grocery shopping.
    @Ratkity, You'll know for sure when you open the door to the toy hauler & it's stuffed with all Harvey goodies!  :o
    Spokane, Wa.

I'll be happy to translate.   Because I own a wrangler and a t@b.....I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    @texasaubiefan, Good one! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

I'll be happy to translate.   Because I own a wrangler and a t@b.....I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go

:lol:
    JEEP= J...ust E...mpty E...very P...ocket

The 3:73 and other numbers refers to the axle gear ratio. The higher the number the less revolutions the tire makes when the driveline turns. When you pull a trailer you want more torque. Half ton trucks are built to get groceries and 1 ton trucks for pulling. The 1/2 tons have a ratio usually less than 3:73, 1 tons at 4:10 and up.

Similar with adding larger tires. Increasing the ratio off sets the larger diameter and increases the end torque or puts it back to stock.

Ps. I love Cheetos
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394

Ratkity said:

jkjenn said:

Geeeesh, you Jeep Peeps! :) I only say that lovingly because my sis' BF is one of thems. There's a special language and I bet a secret handshake too!!!

No handshake, but we do have a wave. :ohstop:

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Nice rig.  I'm pulling mine with a 2016 Rubi with 2.5 lift on 33s.   I wasn't willing to regear (not yet anyway) and it pulls great.  You do have to be careful with TV weight and loading it and trailer.   Encourages me to keep things simple.   I would be interested on how you mileage is playing out.  When pulling, I've gone from really bad to.....I don't even look and fill up when gas is available.  

I was in the same " horible mileage" issue all Jeep owners are in until the supercharger and OST dyno. They re write the ECU program specifically for your vehicle and drive styles. 500 crank hp and 390 rear wheel hp and im getting 19 mpg on cruise at 60 verified by hand not the display. Towing the T@B up the pass and around the State im getting 14. Get a Diablo Trinity and talk to Mike at OST. $800 initial investment plus a bunch of your time or paying a tuner to run it on a laptop and then $175 per hour after a few tweeks if needed. Completely changed how spirited the rig is to drive and its fun between lights with the modern muscle cars

jkjenn said:

Ratkity said:

jkjenn said:

No handshake, but we do have a wave. :ohstop:

Oooo, sorta like Harley and other motorcyclists have  :)

edited April 2017

Newfisher said:

JEEP= J...ust E...mpty E...very P...ocket

The 3:73 and other numbers refers to the axle gear ratio. The higher the number the less revolutions the tire makes when the driveline turns. When you pull a trailer you want more torque. Half ton trucks are built to get groceries and 1 ton trucks for pulling. The 1/2 tons have a ratio usually less than 3:73, 1 tons at 4:10 and up.

Similar with adding larger tires. Increasing the ratio off sets the larger diameter and increases the end torque or puts it back to stock.

Ps. I love Cheetos

LOL re: Cheetos.. don't tell Harvey. He'll have a new snack.

So my '15 Canyon (mid sized, tow pkg with the 3.6L) has a torque of 269 @ 4000 and tows 7000 (3.6L w/ Z82 trailering pkg.)  Displacement is 217/3564, bore and stroke 3.7 x 3.37 / 94 x 85.6, and hp is 305 @ 6800 and final drive ratio is 3.42 (std. with 3.6L). Manual 6 speed transmission mid-sized 2.5L has a 4:10 ratio. So my Canyon thinks it can tow, but it really wants ice cream and a latte? LOL. j/k that's me!

Ratkity said:

So my '15 Canyon (mid sized, tow pkg with the 3.6L) has a torque of 269 @ 4000 and tows 7000 (3.6L w/ Z82 trailering pkg.)  Displacement is 217/3564, bore and stroke 3.7 x 3.37 / 94 x 85.6, and hp is 305 @ 6800 and final drive ratio is 3.42 (std. with 3.6L). Manual 6 speed transmission mid-sized 2.5L has a 4:10 ratio. So my Canyon thinks it can tow, but it really wants ice cream and a latte? LOL. j/k that's me!

The 2.5 is using the 4:10 as compensation for the smaller displacement. Smaller displacement engines can gain usable " feel" horsepower by raising the gear ratios in the diffentials.

If you have the chance to drive a Canyon or Colorado with the 3:73 ratio you should and may like it enough to make the upgrade to yours.

Your Canyon will also love you for installing an aftermarket Hayden style transmission cooler. The cooler the trans fluid the longer they last.

Mmmmmm Carmel Frapp Blended

• wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Another benefit from forced induction (turbo/super charged) is it virtually eliminates the power losses from high altitudes.  Right there you're gaining 30-40% of your power in the high mountain passes, making a substantial difference towing there.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA

Newfisher said:

Ratkity said:

The 2.5 is using the 4:10 as compensation for the smaller displacement. Smaller displacement engines can gain usable " feel" horsepower by raising the gear ratios in the diffentials.

If you have the chance to drive a Canyon or Colorado with the 3:73 ratio you should and may like it enough to make the upgrade to yours.

Your Canyon will also love you for installing an aftermarket Hayden style transmission cooler. The cooler the trans fluid the longer they last.

Mmmmmm Carmel Frapp Blended

OMG.. Carmel Frapp.. my fav!

I was going to look up to see if there was a transmission cooler for the tow pkg 4dr 4x4 as standard. I'll look up the Hayden Style. I want to repaint my TV first before exploring the gearing ratio, but will do! Thanks for the explanations!! Maybe I can nod intelligently when my sister's bf starts speaking in "jeep speak". :) 

Newfisher said:

I was in the same " horible mileage" issue all Jeep owners are in until the supercharger and OST dyno. They re write the ECU program specifically for your vehicle and drive styles. 500 crank hp and 390 rear wheel hp and im getting 19 mpg on cruise at 60 verified by hand not the display. Towing the T@B up the pass and around the State im getting 14. Get a Diablo Trinity and talk to Mike at OST. $800 initial investment plus a bunch of your time or paying a tuner to run it on a laptop and then $175 per hour after a few tweeks if needed. Completely changed how spirited the rig is to drive and its fun between lights with the modern muscle cars

PM me if you will as to exactly what you went with and costs.  I hadn't looked at the supercharger and when I did - I about fell out.  For me, the jeep and the tab isn't and and/or - I want both, but geez, this is getting expensive to try to accommodate both.  Feels the same as when I starting doing underwater photography....Either one is expensive but when you combine them....wow....but when you get it right - the results are priceless. 
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 522
    I have a stock 1999 4.0 Wrangler with 15 inch tires & just came back from a 600 mile trip from Mobile Al to Ga. Got a whopping 12 Mpg! for an 18 year old motor I can't com-plane. I travel very light, spare is mounted on the TV, no propane, tong jack off, no water, no big table, but I sure would like a turbo under that hood! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    I'm getting the hang of this "JeepSpeak" thing. I'm gonna tell my sister's bf (he'll laugh at me, of course). Maybe there can be a sub-badge at T@B University for an honorary "JeepSpeak" or other TV groups.
  • jehdfdjehdfd Member Posts: 27
    Can you put that supercharger on with no other mods? I don't want to re-gear or upgrade axles. Since our Jeep is a sport we have the Dana 30. It'd be great to have that kind of power as long we don't tear that drivetrain apart. Ours really struggles in the Colorado mountains with the trailer.
    Aurora, Colorado - 2016 T@b Outback - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    Ratkity- you are hillarious
    Gulfarea- your jeep and trip sound great!
    Jehdfd- yes. Sprintex supercharger. You will want stage 1. Stage 2 requires chromolly axle shafts.
    Texasaubiefan- I did a stage 2. Largest physical size more psi, smaller pulley, larger injectors than stage 1. Regeared and installed chromolly axle shafts front and rear 1350 Adams driveshafts. Installed the Sprintex basic tune on the Diablo i2. Then went with the Diablo trinity and sent drive log data to OST Dyno to unlock and rewrite the tune. It takes 3 to 5 tunes to get it where they want it and hours of data logging, downloading, loading etc. Or you drive / haul your jeep to them for real time dyno pulls and tune. A stage 1 install is about $7000 with the custom tune from OST. Another $399 for 2015 and up trans control module and another $599 for an unlocked ecu on 2016 and newer. Stage 2 is another $2000 plus rear chromolly axle shafts at minimum. Its not cheap but fun , better mpgs and tons of power.
    thanks @Newfisher.  I think my wife would shoot me at this point but here's to adding to the list :)

@Ratkity - jeepspeak is actually not that hard.  just give the wave if you're in a wrangler (not doing so is considered rude).  Don't be intimidated when the ladies pull up next to you and they're tripped out more than you.  Lifts are not how much you can clean and jerk.  References to inches are size-related but to the tires :)  and when you see somebody with a "turn me over" signage - run and drive the other way....and lastly, if you remember nothing...it is a jeep thing :)