Options

2017 Outback Yakima Rack Problem

I was working on the trailer and noticed that the tube steel right side bottom is swollen, and paint splitting vertically. Looks like it was full of water from rain and may have froze. Anyone else seen this and if so, what did you do about it.
2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited April 2017
    @BirdieJane, I can't personally speak for the rack, but living on this side of the state where we get "settled water" freezing all the time, my thought would be to drill a small "weep" hole in the vertical tube at the bottom. That way, at least the water would have a place to drain. Just an idea.
    Might even want to contact the factory & let them know about the issue as well.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Search "Heads-up on the Yakima rack."  Ratkity experienced a water issue with her rack.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I think the only water issue is that the rack was positioned as a perfect ice dam after a snow started melting. I don't remember getting any water trapped in the poles. There were caps, but there was enough space for moisture to escape. I don't know about Yakima's customer service, but they have a good reputation. They might send you another pole (I can't tell if it's the basket or the pole).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Sorry Ratkity.  Someone else posted about finding water in at least one of the Yakima tubes.  Unfortunately, the search function on this forum is limited to one or two words, so I couldn't find it.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    This is the basket tube steel, we have had the trailer a month, guess I try the warranty from Yakima Rack
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn