Options

Wheel doesn't fit on hitch

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
We just purchased a used Tab. Got it home and discovered that the wheel doesn't fit on the hitch pole because the pole has a small dent which doesn't allow the wheel to slip on. Any suggestions on how to repair or replace.

Thanks

Mickey
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think you mean the tongue jack? What year is your T@b?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tongue jack sounds like what it could called be called. Thanks for the proper name.
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    DaveODaveO Member Posts: 5
    If the dent is near the bottom of the tongue jack tube, say within 3-4 inches, you can borrow a tail pipe expansion tool from and auto parts store.  They will require a refundable deposit. Usually 3 sizes in the set. Insert tool, turn nut, and it should reshape the tube.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    You could replace the jack too and install a new one.  Three bolts and it comes out.  Either that or a handy man with a vice and ingenuity could fix it up enough to save you a few bucks.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    After once dragging our tongue jack and deforming the end I cut off about 2" with a jack saw. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    If the edge of the tube is curled over. Support the tongue of the trailer on your vehicle. Crank the jack handle to raise the tube nearly all the way up. Take a 12" or medium crescent wrench and ajust the jaw to about 1/8 inch. Slide the jaw onto the offended area and use the handle of the wrench to apply pressure to straighten the area. Work around the bent edge slowly going back and forth little steps at a time and it should straighten out.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    True story: I bent my tongue jack the day I brought it home from the dealer. It's easy and not expensive to replace it. I ordered one of off of Camping World - it's a 2,000 lb BAL tongue jack. There are several brands that should work - it's called an "A-frame" Trailer or tongue jack and you can find them at CW, Amazon, or a local dealer or maybe even a Uhaul or utility trailer place. 

Very easy to replace:
    1. Hitch trailer to TV (probably already is.)
    2. Loosen and remove three bolts (I believe they are either 3/4" or 5/8".
    3. Remove old jack.
    4. Install new jack.
    5. Replace three bolts. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Great ideas! Thanks everyone... this forum is great. 
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    edited April 2017
    I just ordered a new tongue jack. $29.70 plus shipping from nuCamp. Just call Elsie or Whitney. I did not order the jockey wheel.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al