Options

Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C install

We decided on the PI surge protector after reading the many positive comments here. Hardwire was best option for us as I will never have to think about it again!!! If I can simplify setup on site- its a good thing :)

Logical location seemed to be in the electrical compartment (driver wheelwell). There was enough slack in the existing wiring to cut, reroute and use existing wire without having to add any.

I wanted the monitor to be accessible but not out in the living area as the display would be very annoying at night. In order to get a good angle for viewing, I used a common framing 90 degree joist hanger and bent it to a reasonable angle. The monitor is attached using several velcro dots.

Excellent product- super easy to install.

Cheers- James
James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Just FYI, the trailer bounces quite a bit. I had installed the same in my T@Bitha... worked GREAT.  The caveat was that the screws holding down the wires inside wiggled loose and almost caused a major issue (it ended up that I accidentally discovered a problem doing something else). I think a tiny dab of blue loctite (sp) might be in order for each screw holding a wire. 

I agree, it's a very easy thing to install! If you use a generator, remember you have to use a "loop-back" plug or you don't get any juice.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @Ratkity Thank you! (waves to bartender- "Loctite all around please!") Also good note about "loop back". We are complete novices to the RV world. :)

James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I like your install @hymie . FYI - the red light doesn't cast the same degree of brightness as the red if you desire to move it outside of the bench so it is more visible. I have mine low on the bench so that I can open the door and see it but it does not disturb me at night, at all. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322

Ratkity said:

Just FYI, the trailer bounces quite a bit. I had installed the same in my T@Bitha... worked GREAT.  The caveat was that the screws holding down the wires inside wiggled loose and almost caused a major issue (it ended up that I accidentally discovered a problem doing something else). I think a tiny dab of blue loctite (sp) might be in order for each screw holding a wire. 

I agree, it's a very easy thing to install! If you use a generator, remember you have to use a "loop-back" plug or you don't get any juice.

What is this loopback plug you speak of?
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Ratkity said:

What is this loopback plug you speak of?

Let me see if I can find the thread (I have way too many yellow starred ones). I made my plug, but you can buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-GEN-PLUG-Generator-Plug/dp/B01BYSFQSW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1493755596&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=loopback+plug+generator

It just goes in the 20a receptacle and ties the ground and neutral. 

Edit: 111 favs.. I can't believe I found it... ignore the end of the thread. I derailed it :innocent:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2437/honda-generator-neutral-bonding/p1
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited May 2017
    <rant>
    This drives me crazy about generators these days -- they leave the neutral floating!  This might work for tying a generator into a house, but just wreaks havoc everywhere else as we find.  More and more electronics refuse to operate without a properly wired ground and neutral.

On my generator(s) I modified them internally to tie the ground and neutral together, just to solve the problem from the source so I don’t need any extra cables or accessories.  You can have any power equipment shop make this modification too.  It means you can no longer tie your generator into your home's electrical panel via a subpanel, but with a small camping generator, who's doing that anyway... :s

Of course a loopback plug is probably cheaper.  I blame my OCD...
    <end rant>  :D
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    edited May 2017

<rant>
    This drives me crazy about generators these days -- they leave the neutral floating!  This might work for tying a generator into a house, but just wreaks havoc everywhere else as we find.  More and more electronics refuse to operate without a properly wired ground and neutral.

On my generator(s) I modified them internally to tie the ground and neutral together, just to solve the problem from the source so I don’t need any extra cables or accessories.  You can have any power equipment shop make this modification too.  It means you can no longer tie your generator into your home's electrical panel via a subpanel, but with a small camping generator, who's doing that anyway... :s

Of course a loopback plug is probably cheaper.  I blame my OCD...
    <end rant>  :D

Dis is why youse da wizard!! I'm just lucky I don't lick electrical contacts to check for power output most of the time (don't get me started on 9V batteries lol). But there was this one time when I had a solar powered electric wire at the top of the fence to prevent a foster dog from scaling it... I shocked myself silly while mowing the back yard more times than the dog ever shocked himself (which was all of one time.. smart dog lol). :dog::lol:
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, Perhaps you should have shown the dog how to mow the lawn! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options

ericnliz said:

@Ratkity, Perhaps you should have shown the dog how to mow the lawn! =)

Believe me... if they or the cat had opposable thumbs, I'd be in trouble. They'd already graze grass and all dog owners know what happens next...... :wink:
  • Options
    sqrpegsqrpeg Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2018
    I opted for the EMS-HW30C as well, and just finished installing it today. After plugging it in, I was disappointed to discover that it emits a very noticeable (to me at least) 60Hz hum.

Those of you who also have this unit - what's your experience sound-wise?
    2018 320S Boondock | 2018 Ford Escape Titanium
  • Options
    sqrpeg said:
    I opted for the EMS-HW30C as well, and just finished installing it today. After plugging it in, I was disappointed to discover that it emits a very noticeable (to me at least) 60Hz hum.

Those of you who also have this unit - what's your experience sound-wise?
    I thought the same thing, but I believe it is actually the converter. It won't him if you dry camp, by the way.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I thought the same thing, but I believe it is actually the converter.
    In my specific case, the hum is definitely coming from the EMS and not the converter (confirmed using the Car Guys' "hose to the ear" method). I contacted Progressive Industries and they're sending me a "replacement relay", no questions asked. Will update when it arrives.
    It won't hum if you dry camp, by the way.
    Agreed :) We're hoping to boondock most of the time.  As lifelong tent campers we're not (yet) used to having all this tech around us, which is maybe why I'm a little hyperaware of the associated noises.
  • Options
    sqrpeg said:
    In my specific case, the hum is definitely coming from the EMS and not the converter (confirmed using the Car Guys' "hose to the ear" method). I contacted Progressive Industries and they're sending me a "replacement relay", no questions asked. Will update when it arrive

Cool! Now I am curious...what is the "hose to ear" method? Maybe I will try it.

• Options
    Back in the olden days :) it was a low-tech method for locating vacuum leaks, etc., in a noisy engine compartment. One end of a rubber hose goes in your ear, other end pokes around ‘til you hopefully find something. Hardly useful now with today’s cars, but still handy in other situations.
  • Options
    sqrpeg said:
    Back in the olden days :) it was a low-tech method for locating vacuum leaks, etc., in a noisy engine compartment. One end of a rubber hose goes in your ear, other end pokes around ‘til you hopefully find something. Hardly useful now with today’s cars, but still handy in other situations.
    Thanks! I will give it a try!

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    sqrpeg said:
    In my specific case, the hum is definitely coming from the EMS and not the converter (confirmed using the Car Guys' "hose to the ear" method). I contacted Progressive Industries and they're sending me a "replacement relay", no questions asked. Will update when it arrives.
    It won't hum if you dry camp, by the way.
    Agreed :) We're hoping to boondock most of the time.  As lifelong tent campers we're not (yet) used to having all this tech around us, which is maybe why I'm a little hyperaware of the associated noises.

I had to replace the contactor in mine too. Still hums but not as bad. I put a rubber mat between the back of the unit and the wall
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    If you use a generator, remember to have a loop-back plug ready since you have a permanent install of a surge protector. If you don't want to make one yourself (easy-peezy), then Progressive Industries makes one.
  • Options

OK, I swapped in the new relay/contactor, which basically meant uninstalling/reinstalling the entire unit because the relay’s mounting screws are on the back of the box.  Like in @RollingBnB’s case, it still hums :s but given the overall PITA-ness of doing the swap I’m convincing myself it’s a teeny bit quieter. And hey, I have a spare relay now!

@Ratkity – We’re generator-averse, but thanks anyway for the reminder about the floating neutral.

For anyone who comes across this thread during pre-purchase searches, this noisiness issue might be another thing to consider in your "mounted inside" vs "portable outside" decision-making.

• Options
    I wonder if it has anything to do with proximity to the converter?

• Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @sqrpeg , It is normal for a relay/contactor to hum. The contactor completes the electrical circuit by holding it closed with a powered coil from the control circuitry. Ours hums also, but not very loudly, you get used to it like white noise.  
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options

@jkjenn I guess there could be some sort of harmonic effect with the converter, or as @Geo said it might just be "normal" hum from the AC coil in the particular model/brand of contactor used in this EMS.

Either way it's not a biggie, I just try to avoid 60Hz background noise whenever possible.

Thanks everyone for your help!
  • Options
    gregndebgregndeb Member Posts: 31
    We installed our EMS unit last summer.  I installed on the floor of our 320-CS.  Since we don't have a shower, I installed the display over the ALDE control.  The toughest part was routing the wire over the A/C. I routed the hole for the display, with an extra notch for the cable connector.  While I was in there I also installed a 4-port USB outlet.  I have heard the 60 Hz hum but never thought about it, until reading this thread.  Perhaps mounting on the floor helped with the noise, but it's never been objectionable to either of us.

T@B: 2018 320-CS Max
    TV: 2017 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    gregndeb said:
    We installed our EMS unit last summer.  I installed on the floor of our 320-CS.  Since we don't have a shower, I installed the display over the ALDE control.  The toughest part was routing the wire over the A/C. I routed the hole for the display, with an extra notch for the cable connector.  While I was in there I also installed a 4-port USB outlet.  I have heard the 60 Hz hum but never thought about it, until reading this thread.  Perhaps mounting on the floor helped with the noise, but it's never been objectionable to either of us. 

That looks great!