Options

Review of LLBean Camp Futon

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
edited May 2017 in Products and Accessories
I promised to review these in a couple of different discussions after using them. We like them!

Some background: We sleep in a twin bed configuration so we can get up in the night without disturbing the other person. We've been using the old thermarest self inflating pads from our tent camping days, and I constructed bench extensions to increase the bench width to 26" to accommodate the width of the sleeping pads and give us a bit more space. The thermarests were only 1.5" thick and no longer inflated themselves, so we'd have to blow them up. They didn't provide enough padding for our aging backs and hips. And they were slippery - they'd slide off the bench or our bedding would slide off them. We vowed to upgrade in some way this year.

I looked at memory foam mattress toppers but we'd never slept on one so we had no idea if it would work for us. They're relatively expensive, and I'd have to cut it up so we'd be out a bunch of money if it didn't work. 

We started looking for thicker better thermarest type pads and I ran across the LLBean Camp Futon. It is supposed to be 3.5 inches thick and have a non slip top and bottom, and we can return it at the Bean store in town at any time if we don't like it, so I ordered two. We used them last weekend.

Pros: 
- The regular size is 25" wide and 72" long, so they fit perfectly on the benches in our S model (with the bench extensions).
- They really are non slip. We had no problems with slipping at night and after driving home with them they and the bedding we left on them were still in place. When traveling we expect to leave the beds made up instead of stowing everything when breaking camp.
- Letting them inflate by themselves with no additional air provided great comfort for our backs and hips. We slept well with no aches in the morning.

Cons:
- They are thick. Not quite 3.5" per my measurements but thick enough so we no longer could sleep with our heads under the cabinets. I was comfortable with my head next to the bathroom wall but the 72" bench on the passenger side was too short for DH who is 6'5" to stretch out. (With his head under the cabinets his toes could hang over the end.) I promised to make a head extension by the door if this proves to be a problem.
- There is a lot of air in there to push out. I couldn't get them rolled up enough to go back in the supplied storage bags, so I rolled them as best as I could and stowed them behind the sofa with the rest of the bedding. 
- You do need to keep dogs and kitties off them. A repair kit is supplied but you don't want to spring a leak in the middle of the night.

So yes, I do recommend them if you sleep in twin beds. If you use the whole bed and a double bed is wide enough for you a "couple kit" could be used to turn two of these into a 50" by 72" mattress topper. 

I should mention that I went to Amvets and bought a couple of king size sheets for $3 each. I turned one into fitted sheets to fit the pads and turned the other into top sheets. With a light blanket on top and the Alde on we were very comfortable temperature wise.
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @Photomom. This is the first 72" long thick "Thermorest-type" thick camping pad (futon) I have seen. Plus that is a good price. I purchased two yoga mats that I was going to try, but I'll be betting Sunny Day will be using one of them!  Delivery expected after a week of camping next week. That will make for a good comparison. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @Photomom!  My Camp Futon came early and I've used it for two nights now. I am actually sleeping with a lot less tossing and turning! Of course, Sunny Day thought she was goi g to commandeer it, but we got that straightened out really quickly!

And yoga mats are much to hard for me to sleep on--so much for that idea.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”