Options

T@b tires

We've put >12,000 miles on our T@b since June, and we had to replace the tires last week. Does that sound normal? Have you had to replace your tires because they were bald? How many miles do you expect to get out of a set of trailer tires?
Cheryl, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, 2015 T@b S Maxx (T@bitha)

Comments

• Options
    Cheryl74074Cheryl74074 Member Posts: 71
    Really, no comments?? Are we the only ones that have had to replace our tires??

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Cheryl, I had to replace my tires after I left Tearstock because one of the tires blew and the other one was damaged.  They only had about 7,000 miles on them, and they showed no signs of wear on them before the incident.  They were new in October 2013 when Pleasant Valley replaced them due to wear from a faulty axle.  And, they were radials. 

I don't know if this helps or not.  As you know, mine is a Silver Shadow and your's is a T@B

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    I have not had my T@B long enough to comment and thought someone with more miles would respond.. But, If you were perhaps running with air pressure significantly lower or higher than what was stated on the tire then this could certainly contribute to early tire failure. My tires looked ok but thought I would check anyway. Turns out they only had 25 psi and the tire states a max of 50 psi. I inflated them up to 45 psi and the trailer actually trails better. They did not look low but were. Running under inflated will cause excessive wear on the outside edges and over inflation will have excess wear in the center of the tread. Under inflation will also cause additional heat build up. Maybe this will help in the future.
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

I have not had my T@B long enough to really address the question.  There have been previous discussions regarding tires, however.  I seem to recall some having to change tires around 10,000 miles, one or two even before.  When it comes to trailer tires, age is as important as mileage, as I understand it.  I don't recall, however, the recommended age to change.

From what I recall, 12,000 miles is past the life of a trailer tire.  Also, as Jim said, there are other factors that affect the life of a tire.  Besides inflation, I seem to recall one owner whose hitch was the wrong height, causing excess wear (can't explain that one).

I have about 6,000 miles on my current tires.  If I make it through one more season, I plan to change them, regardless of how they look.

You might try a search of the forum for "tires"  or "tire wear" and see what turns up.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
    I had to replace my original belted factory tires this last spring after only 10,000 miles. They were badly worn in the center with some skip wear on one of them (comes from being out of balance). 

After doing some research I found the tires were grossly over-inflated at 50psi which caused the uneven premature wear. The standard TAB tires which were ST2504/75R14 are rated to a MAXIMUM load of 1750lb/tire at 50psi. This means they should be at 50psi if the trailer had a total weight of 3,500 pounds. My TAB manual states the tires should not be inflated to 50psi and recommends 35psi per tire. 

Here is how I validated Little Guys recommendation. I calculated my TAB total weight to be 2,005 pounds. This is the empty weight (1,655) plus normal contents (beding, food, dishes, 100b), and fully loaded water and holding tanks of 250lbs. This gives a "per-tire weight" of 1,002 lbs. This is well below the max tire rating of 1,750lbs. Using a chart I found on Goodyear Tire's website for the TAB recommended trailer tire for my actual weight, put the recommended pressure at 35psi. SO, unless you load up your TAB with a lot of unusual weight, it is best to run 35psi for maximum life of the tire.

I switched to a radial tire from the original belted. They improved fuel efficiency by a little and the trailer pulls more smoothly (a little more sway but no bouncing). I also had the tire guy balance the tires which is not standard for a trailer tire. Lastly, trailer tires are rated for a maximum speed of 65mph. I try to stay between 65-70. Running over this for a long period (especially in the heat) will lead to potential tire failure and excessive wear. I have put 7,000 on the new tires (and pressure) and have not seen any noticeable wear.

Hope this helps.

John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    John, would you mind telling what brand tires you put on?  Thanks.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I believe 6 years is the recommended maximum time allowance for RV tires (or auto tires for that matter).

When the time comes to replace mine, I plan to do what folks already do on the larger RVs -- replace with light truck (LT) tires instead.  Depending on your T@B model, you might have 15" tires which makes this much easier (14" LT tires are rare).  Opinions vary, but since LT tires have the same or greater specification for load as trailer tires (ST), and much higher speed allowances, it's almost a no-brainer.  Plus they can go MUCH longer than 12K miles if you're an avid camper.  (but it's still advised to change them after 6 years)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    I agree and have read age is the biggest reason to change out on RV's and trailers. The tires on the TAB are 14" so somewhat limited on options.

Thanks for your comments.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    RZRBUG, the tires I put on are TOWMASTER C Trailer Tires (ST250/75R14).
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    Thanks for your reply, John.  I assume the "ST250" is a typo??? and should be ST 205?

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Sorry for the typo. It is ST205
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    Cheryl74074Cheryl74074 Member Posts: 71
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Thanks guys for the psi recommendation and evaluation on the T@B's tires.  My tires are also ST205175D14.  I am making note of all of this.  You guys are the BEST! :D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    SailTabSailTab Member Posts: 18
    To track tire mileage has any one tried putting a hubodometer on one of the camper wheels?