Options

Inaugural run

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
Taking our 2016 Max S out for the first time today.  Going to a rustic camp site - no services. Thinking about the battery. Stock battery. No solar. We will need power for the furnace - down to 40 degrees tonight. And power for the pump to flush the toilet. We are starting out charged at 12.6 volts. As I understand we should go no lower than 12.1. Is that correct?

Thanks
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @mandt, Couple questions first. Does your 7 pin connector allow for re-charging the battery? How long do you plan to stay? You can run the Alde on battery & propane. The pump you should ONLY use when needed. Do you plan on using the fridge? If so, propane would be my choice, it's a battery hog! Set at 3.5 to 4 and you should be good. 12.1 is the lowest I would let it go, although mine has been down to 11.8 with no issues. Use your SEELEVEL monitor to keep track of your usage. If your 7 pin allows for re-charging, you can simply plug in, and re-charge the battery that way, just make sure to rev up the motor a little to allow for the extra charging needed. You can see what the charge is through the monitor as well. Hope this helps, and have fun!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @mandt, Couple other things came to mind. Make sure when you're NOT using things, you shut 'em off. Alde, left hand "power" button. Stereo, use the dimmer, and shut the light off (top left). Anything else you can turn off, do so. When you use your Alde, make sure you leave the window open (first notch), and the top vent where the fan is open a little, or it will look like a rain forest in the morning! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    We will use the furnace on propane of course, but the furnace pump will need some battery - not sure how much. Probably not run the frige because it uses a fan. We will use it as an ice chest. Yes,the car can charge the battery, but don't really want to run it while camping because of exhaust. 
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    @mandt, When using the pump on your Alde, scroll through the "tool" menu, and make sure it is set on thermostat, not continuous. There are only two settings. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @mandt on my maiden voyage I unwittingly ran on only battery and propane the first two days. After 48 hours my battery was at 12.3. My food was in a cooler till the last half day of that time period, which probably made a difference. BTW, I now know to turn the shore power switch on at the pole plug in... :o Have fun with your new T@b!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    If you are miserly with the power you can get two days, two nights, possibly more.  Our maiden voyage with the stock 12V battery got us through a full weekend - headed out Friday morning and broke camp Sunday morning.  We used the fridge on propane almost the whole time and the Alde kept us warm each night.  We were at 12.2V on the meter the morning we left.  You are correct, don't go too much lower than 12.1V.  You can, but it may affect the life span of your battery.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Just a note: everyone is focusing on battery, but if this is your first time, don't forget to mind your water tanks. The gray water fills a lot faster than you'd think with the black not far behind.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Off we go.... thanks everybody
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    Have FUN! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Have a great time. You're going to love it!

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you're trying to squeak every electron out of the battery that you can, try to avoid using the fan, the lights and the charging ports. You can use solar lights (like Luci) inside and a propane lantern outside. You shouldn't need to run the aux fridge fan if it's 40F at night - the fridge will help to heat the cabin. And check your Alde manual for how to set standby brightness so the display isn't on all night.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    Think like you are in a tent...you will be surprised how well a single flashlight pointed up to the Tab's vaulted ceiling spreads a pleasant, usable light all around.  A flashlight sitting on the kitchen counter facing up lights up that area very well. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Wrap a headlamp around a plastic bottle of water and a soft glowing light is lighting up the interior. (I used a gallon milk jug with a head lamp when I lost power at the house for two days--best night light I've ever had!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    we got some cute little plastic lanterns for inside our trailer, they use AA batteries (6 or 8) I've been using them for over 6 months, got them at the dollar store (dollarama)
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Well our first outing went well. We used all the TAB systems except the shower and everything worked great. Had enough power, but might look into solar for longer stays. Probably our biggest issue was organization with very little cupboard space for dishes and kitchen utensils we were a mess. And very little counter space for food prep we were a bit lost, but we just need to put some thought into it and figure it out. 

Also, we stayed at a very nice rustic campground on a sweet little lake here in Michigan and get this - we were the only ones there! Got down to 40 degrees at night so I guess it scared everyone away. 

Going out out for a longer stay at a different campground next week. Can't wait,
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Your own private forest! What a rare find! So glad it went well. Yeah, you'll figure the storage thing out with time and trials. Congrats.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    As far as I'm concerned, boondocking is THE ONLY way to learn your way around these great little trailers! Sounds like 'ya had fun, Adventure on! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Congratulations Mandt! What a great first trip for you both! Who habitats in the crate? I also love your T@ b colors! Thanks for sharing.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red