Options

Outback On the Road

OldNHGuyOldNHGuy Member Posts: 8
Our Red & White Outback pulled by a blue Tacoma rolled along through PA & WV. 3 way fridge worked perfectly. Behind the bench storage wells are near useless. A comb fell into the abyss and now sits there grinning knowing that it will never caress my curly bald head again. We tried to install our over-bed trapeze but  couldn't, without it it's very difficult to drag yourself out of bed. There should be some handles under the windows for old folks. Of course the sewer pipes should have been extended as part of the Outback option. Cost me $30 to extend them:factory maybe $10. Mounted a DeWalt box on one front shelf for the sewer hose. works well. Removed the pistons on the upper cabinets ,tightened the hinge screws , no problems except the doors don't stay open. Factory should do the simple retro-fit suggested in another discussion. Using the Lagun table outside was a joke. Table was chest high and we had to close the window so the kettle steam wouldn't go inside the cabin. We'll sort things out and then head out again

Comments

• Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Constructive criticizim is always appreciated. We feel some of your pain. Keep camping and remember the little things dissapear when you are outside and not back at home.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited May 2017
    @OldNHGuy, The gittin' outa' bed part, I can totally relate to! Tuck & roll, son, tuck & roll. Takes some gettin' used to. ;)
    Go to Amazon, order, Amerock BP 2811J23-14 hinges. Perfect fit, you'll need one pack for two cupboards. They work great! Just did mine!  You will only need one per cupboard door. They stay open just fine! :) Read some of the recent posts on how to adjust your Lagun Table for outside use. 
    Now that you're here, and askin' questions, you'll find LOTS of good help, and tips to make your experience a lot better! As a fellow well-seasoned guy, I've found, asked, and discovered a LOT of things that will make your experience one to remember, rather than one you'd like to forget about. Hang in there, help is on the way, just ask, you'll be surprised! ;) i hope this helps you out!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    solowmnsolowmn Member Posts: 7
    Hi there, I made my maiden voyage last weekend, and everything worked great! I used heat and AC in one adventure.  Went I went to put things away last night I see I have a red light blinking on the ALDE.  I have searched the forum for advice, but see none.  Anyone know what to do now?
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Is your 12V battery low or dead?  I think a red blinking light means there isn't enough power to run the system.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options

OldNHGuy said:

Of course the sewer pipes should have been extended as part of the Outback option. Cost me $30 to extend them:factory maybe $10. Mounted a DeWalt box on one front shelf for the sewer hose. works well.

• Options

ericnliz said:

Go to Amazon, order, Amerock BP 2811J23-14 hinges. Perfect fit, you'll need one pack for two cupboards. They work great! Just did mine!  You will only need one per cupboard door. They stay open just fine!

Thanks for the update. ordered  hinges yesterday.

• Options
    @OldNHGuy, Mod on! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I did this mod using the mentioned Amerock hinges, and I had to use two per cabinet door.  The rear cabinets barely stay open with two of these hinges.

Another problem I had is the doors would flop open when under tow, spilling the contents of the cabinets all over the place.  I had to install friction latches to keep the doors closed.
  • Options
    ericnliz said:
    Go to Amazon, order, Amerock BP 2811J23-14 hinges. Perfect fit, you'll need one pack for two cupboards. They work great! Just did mine!  You will only need one per cupboard door. They stay open just fine!

• Options
    To clarify, I was speaking of the front cabinet doors since I have the model the rear cabinet doors open sideways not up. I used the said hinges on my front cabinet doors, not the rear.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    My rear doors open sideways too. Since I don't know any better, what are the advantages of them opening up instead of sideways?

2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If they open sideways you don't have to worry about them staying up on their own :)

I would actually prefer that.  My 2017 came with top hinges and the struts, which were just too strong.  I removed the struts on all of the cabinets and replaced the hinges with the Amerock ones, and added 'snap' latches to keep them shut when towing.

I then used two of the struts on the rear shelf so it stays open.
  • Options
    @ColoradoJon, I saw the new rear cabinet doors on 2 new Outback S models with the struts when we were at Lincoln Rock. One had the same trouble you had with the struts. I know the 'snap' hinges you're referring to from a different post here, and seems like a really good solution. Nice re-purpose for the struts on the rear shelf! The rear cabinet doors that you have I can fully understand needing two hinges per door, as they are larger, and heavier than the ones on the front. Thanks for the added info on the rear doors on the newer models! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz - I did't realize that earlier versions opened from the side.  Not sure why it was changed on the 2017 model as I don't think opening vertically is as practical.  It is easier to move stuff around from cabinet to cabinet as they all open up and do not get in the way, but we don't really do that very often :)

The struts on the rear shelf turned out to be very useful!  If you do it right they keep the shelf closed when you want it closed, and open when you want it open.