Options

No electric brakes

LagerLager Member Posts: 6
Has anyone had issues with their Tab's electric brakes not working when towed with a 2017 Chevy Silverado? The Chevy dealer said the truck's wiring is OK and the problem has to be the trailer. All the lights worked just not the brakes. My Tab's brakes worked just fine when towed with a Jeep Wrangler and also with an older model Silverado. If anyone has any insight on this issue I would be happy to hear it.

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Lager, I read what you said twice to make sure I read it correctly. If the T@B brakes worked on two other tow vehicles, but not the 2017 Silverado, I would be more suspect of the Silverado than the T@B. Did the other two vehicles use the same controller as in the Silverado, and did the Silverado come with factory tow package? I'd be interested to know, thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I tow with a 2016 Silverado that is equipped with the tow package and have not had any issues.  I activate the the vehicle transmission sensor (that automatically adjusts the shifting software if the vehicle) via the button on the steering wheel turn signal rod and have played with the brake adjustment some.  Your vehicle should be very similar and more current as mine and I  doubt that that part of the system hasn't changed from last year. 

If I were you I would have a similar GM vehicle hook up to your trailer and see if the brakes work with a another vehicle.   Have you adjusted the sensitivity on the brakes via your vehicle?    If GM cannot figure out the problem I might be tempted to take the trailer and truck over to an RV technician and see if they can figure out the problem. Your vehicle should work fine with the trailer unless something is amiss in the wiring.  

The only issue I ever head with my Silverado was that I would get a warning bell and message that the trailer wiring had become disconnected and it would suddenly seem to reconnect.   This audible sound was irritating and was intermittent in nature and would happen in turns, an occasional road bump, jarring of the vehicle, etc.  I went through the entire wiring system on the trailer, troubleshooting everything I could, disconnecting the Norold frig and the Alde system.   I did find some bad electrical connections in the bench seat area of my trailer, corrected them, tightened down all of my grounds and connections in that area and in the electric converter, etc. I no longer have this issue and the vehicle and trailer perform well and without any issues.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    LagerLager Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your insight Mike. I'm trying to figure out how to resolve this issue. The GM dealer was less than helpful. The really annoying thing is the warning message "check trailer wiring" and the four obnoxious chimes. I had this constantly go off on a recent trip through Nebraska and Colorado. I've read that others with newer (2014 +) Silverados have issues the warning and chimes going off when driving over bumps. They seem to think part of the problem is the design of the receiver not holding the plug from the trailer tight.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Lager said:
    Thanks for your insight Mike. I'm trying to figure out how to resolve this issue. The GM dealer was less than helpful. The really annoying thing is the warning message "check trailer wiring" and the four obnoxious chimes. I had this constantly go off on a recent trip through Nebraska and Colorado. I've read that others with newer (2014 +) Silverados have issues the warning and chimes going off when driving over bumps. They seem to think part of the problem is the design of the receiver not holding the plug from the trailer tight.
    So what you're telling me is the same thing I encountered, the irritating bells sounding and the @check trailer wiring" message in the truck.  The message isn't necessarily referring to the "trailer to vehicle" wiring harness, it means you have an issue inside your trailer (e.g., a loose ground wire, poor connection, etc.) and will need to do some troubleshooting inside to ferret out the problem.  

If you would like to talk about this in private send me your phone number in a private message and I will give you a call.    I will tell you what I did and the things I did in trying to resolve this issue, which I eventually did end up doing. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ