Options

First trip!

IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
We took our first trip last week for 2 nights at http://www.hiddenacrescamp.com/ & it was a complete success :smiley:
Mother Nature did not cooperate as it started to rain, right as we unhooked & continued to do so, well into the night.
Again when we were leaving, the skies opened. We stayed watertight, which in itself, was a good test. Our PaHaQue awning worked great, so easy to set up, the mosquito front wall worked great as well. Campsite was awesome; super quiet as we were there early in the week & before the Memorial Day rush. We camped right next to the Quinebaug river, so peaceful & picturesque. 
We packed light, food & clothes-wise & had everything we needed. I couldn't get any signal with my HD antenna; I think it was because we were in a pretty remote spot. I brought DVD's so during a rainstorm, we hung out inside, watching Robin Hood, Men in Tights. :smiley:
I'm not a huge fan of the entire Jensen system; I work in the tv business, I know what works, sounds and looks good and what can be very user friendly. The system is clunky and not very intuitive. Perhaps later on down the road, I'll customize/replace it. 

Bugs were not a huge problem as it wasn't too hot; again, the mosquito wall on the front of the awning along with a portable fan (thanks for the tip, photomom) kept the bugs out. We did come across, what I aptly named them as, hell demon bugs. Looked like a cross between a scorpion and a caterpillar...of course I cannot recall the name of it, begins with letter H. Holy GOD, it was terrifying; had 674893 legs, pincers....def the stuff of nightmares.

Everything worked like a charm in the t@b; the fan is super efficient, stove top worked great, bed was super comfy with the addition of a gel mattress topper. I discovered that the portable lights you can buy to light up pumpkins around Halloween, work great for some extra light when looking in cabinets/closets etc. Simply push it to turn it on/off. 

Next trip we are planning is to the Rhinebeck, NY area to catch an airshow. Maybe in June, work schedules depending.

So far, I love my t@b. So happy I invested in one! A big thanks to everyone here who shared their experiences and gave me advice. 
Now to get the confidence to drive/tow & back it up myself without husband.

(totally forgot to take any pictures....I swear, we DID go camping, honest!)

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Options
    DINDAnLANDINDAnLAN Member Posts: 75
    Congrats and glad to hear your trip went well.
    Linda & Dan
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2018 Ford F150 XLT pulling a 2020 T@B 400
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @IrishCamper74, Sounds like you had a great "inaugural" trip! Having it rain probably gave you more opportunity to thoroughly check out the workings of everything. You'll find driving/towing & backing up will only take a little more confidence, and practice. Glad you had a good time, and thanks for sharing! :)  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Great report and it sounds like you were as snug as a bug in a rug!   =)

I'll be interested in hearing what you replace the Jensen system with in the future.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Great report and it sounds like you were as snug as a bug in a rug!   =)

I'll be interested in hearing what you replace the Jensen system with in the future.  
    First, an HD tv. I failed to check if this was a standard option. :disappointed: 
    Speakers are OK; I've had luck with Alpine speakers, I may add a pair in the kitchen. That being said, I have a Bose portable speaker that emits the best quality sound I've heard from a bluetooth speaker. As long as I can connect a device, I may just go that route. 
    I'll keep you posted. :wink:

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have the bluetooth portable Bose speaker system. Of all the bluetooth speakers I spent money on, the Bose was the absolute best quality of all of them. Would have saved money if I had just bought the Bose to begin with!

For new camper, I just went to the local box store and got a small 20" TV. It has the ability to have the proper 12V cord if I want to watch a movie on the Jensen (the Jensen TV outputs in my camper are by the TV mount, but no 12V connect, just the 110V.. hrm I sense a new mod). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    @IrishCamper74 you have GOT to got to get a picture of horrific demon monster bug with a gabillion legs and pincers all over the place that sends campers screaming and little kids unable to sleep for WEEKS! Great to describe around the campfire.

Oh boy, you are an AV person! GOODIE. The AV system is so technically dated, but I can't find good alternatives to replace it. 12v TV's are hard to find and I wonder where @Ratkity found one. My CSS has the old Jensen that does NOT even have HDMI cables. SIGH.
    I wonder if a good double DIN automotive AV system with DVD could be used, running on Android OS? I agree that the Bose works well, but no HD TV is stinkie.
    Please post what you do to improve your system. 
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    The learning taking place on the first trip is huge in my opinion.  I learn something every trip, but that first one...  That would be an interesting discussion topic and some funny stories.  Glad you had a good time.
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I bought a new 19" 12V/110V TV with built-in DVD player from Amazon last winter for around $175. While not the least expensive in their inventory, it had everything I needed.  

I measured for a 22" and it would have taken an overhaul of the TV mount location, so I stuck with what has been working. I think the name brand is Axxess (or something like that). I think it is HD (great picture). Check Amazon. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Hellgramite!
    Its the larvae stage of the Dobson fly. It was/is COMPLETELY terrifying.
    I'll let you google image it on your own.

Then imagine 2 of them, calmly crawling across the dirt, under your t@b awning, headed towards your camp chair.....

...yeah....I jumped on the chair & may have yelled a few explatives...  :o

Runtarooti said:
    @IrishCamper74 you have GOT to got to get a picture of horrific demon monster bug with a gabillion legs and pincers all over the place that sends campers screaming and little kids unable to sleep for WEEKS! Great to describe around the campfire.

• Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2017
    Holy schmoly! That is straight out of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" or some Stephen King sewer pipe.
    That is a bad ass lookin' bug I would be scared to be in the same zip code with!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyL3DzIGJQs&ved=0ahUKEwjEnP2HhLTUAhUo0YMKHTUTD1UQt9IBCGwwFA&usg=AFQjCNFy5qPOumeYLZYrr_obpxzZYfdOwQ&sig2=Wp5OGwe8LJ_iP_rB2R6aZw
    So glad don't have them where I live, but we have Potato bugs are pretty gnarly lookin, plus they're BIG.
    Image result
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ACK! Nightmares!!!! Run for your lives! (everybody do the bug dance - similar to the bee dance, but don't take your shirt off). 

I'd like to see one of them IRL. Just not next to my camper! Or chair... or foot... or campsite....or.. um... right.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)