Options

Traveling over Wolf Creek Pass, CO

marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
edited June 2017 in Camping & Travel
Hello T@B Peeps... I'll be going over Wolf Creek Pass this July (a little daunting for me)... any tips?  I plan to be in Pagosa Springs on July 5th and then traveling to Littleton, CO. on July 6th.

I'll be coming back from Colorado Springs to Pogosa Springs on July 13th to spend a few days of R&R since all the time in-between Littleton and Colorado Springs I'll be with grandchildren. 

I leave in AZ and just feel overwhelmed with going through mountain passes.  I have a 2017 T@B S, drive a 2914 Ford Escape XL and of course have a brake controller.

Thanks for any tips!  B)
M@rilyn
Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
But still passionate about the brand!

Comments

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Member Posts: 6
    I'm phobic about twisty-turny mountain roads that are narrow, have steep drop-offs and lots of switchbacks.  Roads near here in the Smokies are the worst.

That said, the road up Wolf Creek Pass was wide enough to not frighten me.  Unlike our Eastern mountains, the shoulders are wide and visibility is excellent.  I was also not afraid driving in the Chiracahuas in AZ--for much the same reason.  Good visibility. 
    CroT@lus, a 2017 T@b - S Outback pulled by a 2016 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Zephyr said:
    I'm phobic about twisty-turny mountain roads that are narrow, have steep drop-offs and lots of switchbacks.  Roads near here in the Smokies are the worst.

That said, the road up Wolf Creek Pass was wide enough to not frighten me.  Unlike our Eastern mountains, the shoulders are wide and visibility is excellent.  I was also not afraid driving in the Chiracahuas in AZ--for much the same reason.  Good visibility. 
    Thanks for the details and encouragement!  Good information. 
    M@rilyn

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    To get to the good places in the West, you are going to have to climb or descend some passes.  And, the "little" passes in CO will be good practice.  By the time you get to Wolf Creek, I bet you will be comfortable with it.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 Thanks....  just need some reassurance  LOL!
    M@rilyn

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2017
    Wolf Creek Pass is no big deal.  On the descents just stay in low gear.  3rd gear should be fine.  Keep an eye on the weather, I have been over the pass in July during a snowstorm.  Not a winter storm so no issues.

If you are nervous about mountain passes do not go over Red Mountain Pass between Silverton and Ouray.

RED MOUNTAIN PASS.  THIS IS NOT WOLF CREEK PASS.  The road is better now.  Just came over it on Sunday and they worked on the road and widened it a few inches so the white line has a little shoulder.  Oh wait, I think this is a photo of the widened road. =)

Image result for red mountain pass
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    DonnabDonnab Member Posts: 60
    I don't know first hand but was told to watch your temperature on tow vehicle going uphill!
    Donna 2017  Maryland resident Colorado land owner outback white/black Toyota Tacoma  ; )
  • Options
    rtolanrtolan Member Posts: 23
    Hi. I live in Pagosa Springs and travel Wolf Creek Pass in all weather. You will be fine. Stay in low gear and below speed limits. Passing lanes most of the way. I will not drive Red Mountain Pas with a trailer though. Wolf Creek will be fine. Call me when you are in Pagosa if you want. Would love to connect with other T@bbers and will give you local info. I am Roberta at rtolan3@gmail.com.
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    Get a Hayden transmission cooler installed and tow with overdrive off....
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    You'll be fine...piece of cake (we live in Durango)

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    @source. Oh yes! I know Red Mountain Pass and I have a hard time just  driving it in my car. Last year I traveled over it and it was pouring rain. I was not a happy camper. Thank God it wasn't pulling my  T@B at the time. 
    M@rilyn

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Member Posts: 6
    I would not be able to handle that Red Mountain Pass.  Period.
    CroT@lus, a 2017 T@b - S Outback pulled by a 2016 Subaru Outback