Options

Best campgrounds for birdwatching?

AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
edited June 2017 in Camping & Travel
Hi all, t@b 400 is on order and while we wait I'm planning trips. I'm a 'birder' and would love to know if any of you share this hobby and if you can recommend campgrounds that are good for birdwatching or are near birding hotspots.

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @AMac, Great hobby, and lots of fun! Where are you located? Might help to "steer" you in a close by direction.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    One of my favorite stops "off the beaten path" while traveling through Texas is South Llano State Park along the South Llano River, just outside Junction, Texas.  This place was an old ranch at one time and willed to the State of Texas by the former owners.  I like the park because it is quaint, quiet, has hiking/nature trails, beautiful campsites and also bird blinds that are set up nicely and provide water and a natural habitat for birds native to the area and those migrating through from South America, etc.  I have stayed here multiple times and the park is home to the largest roosting turkey population in the state of Texas.  The park is well maintained, there is water/electric at each campsite, excellent shower facilities and the sites have asphalt strips.  Junction, Texas is a small town with gas, grocery store, a couple of restaurants and a laundry mat.  I highly recommend the park as it is about 10 minutes from I-10 and worth the drive.  I normally spend a couple of days there in order to hike, take in a ranger lecture and to relax.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike, Thanks for the info! Sounds like a great place to not only bird watch, but relax. 
    My favorite camping spot: Swan Lake.  Lots of different birds: Loons, egrets, bald eagles, owls, occasional herons, woodpeckers (have seen at least 3 different species), hummingbirds (again, various species), occasionally different species, and colors of finches, the ones I call "camp crooks" that are different colors, and NOT afraid of people at all, swallows, geese, ducks, pheasants, grouse, and probably a few I've forgotten. In addition to the various types of birds, great fishing, and lots of different wildlife, from bears, wolves, mountain lions, cougars, chipmunks, various types of squirrels, elk, moose, deer (gotta watch where you're goin' after dark, they are all over the place!), beaver, snakes, lizards, fox, lots of different butterflies, and probably a few more I've forgotten about. Basically; nature at it's best. the walk around the lake takes about two hours, and well worth the time spent. Many more hiking trails around the area as well. Wild blackberries, blueberries, and huckleberries for the picking make great next day pancakes! Water, vault toilets, and garbage are available at the campground. Another two, smaller lakes with camping about two miles away. We make a point of making at least two trips a year there, and have been going for over 20 years now.
    Republic, Wa., is the closest town, about 15 miles away, with gas, propane, ice, restaurants, grocery stores, antique stores, auto parts store, dump station, liquor store, camping gear stores, Ranger Station ( for lots of good local info), and just kind of a cool little town to cruise around. Used to be a bustling mining, and logging town. Lots more camping around the area, within 10 to 50 mile radius, with access to the Columbia River, and a ferry crossing about 30 miles away. You're about 20 miles away from the Canadian border, and lots of Canadians enjoy this area as well. I've met, and spoke with folks from all over the world, and often wondered how they discovered the area, as it's not a highly populated, or publicized area at all.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    @Michigan_Mike I just returned a few hours ago from 3 days at South LLano State Park and, although very hot for this time of year, the trip was great.  Several blinds for bird watching and saw several very large axis bucks.  Sections of the park are closed October through March because of the turkey roosting areas but they are still visible, along with many other birds.  The dark sky is incredible.
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    @ericnliz I am in Wilmington, NC, which is on the southeast coast about 60 miles north of the SC border.
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike Wow! That sounds Great! I'll put it on my wish list. Thanks!
  • Options
    @ericnliz I'm really interested in taking a trip to Washington and eastern Oregon in a year or so - Swan Lake sounds like a terrific place - exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    edited June 2017
    For some of us in the Midwest.  The Trempleau National wildlife refuge in Wisconsin just North of Lacrosse is a great area for migrating birds along the Mississippi.  You camp at the very nice Perrot St park.  There's also great hiking and biking in the area.  Winery too.  If you don't have fun it's your own fault!  

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @ericnliz- I wanna go!  Let's make it a gathering!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    And I thought it was cool to see two pair of Indigo Buntings this morning. It's been years since I've seen a pair, let alone two pair!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @2Cougs, @AMac , July 14th-23rd, weekend after Labor day for 10 days!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz I wish! Our t@b won't be delivered by then.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Member Posts: 6
    Huntington Beach State Park in Murrell's Inlet, SC (just south of Myrtle Beach) has great birding.  Besides herons and egrets and osprey, you'll see wood storks, possibly roseate spoonbills and painted buntings. 
    CroT@lus, a 2017 T@b - S Outback pulled by a 2016 Subaru Outback