Options

BAL wheel leveler

Anyone experience any tire concerns with the BAL wheel leveler?   I've noticed the higher you are required to lift the low side, the greater the pressure point on the tire.  The two chock plates where the tire rests remain flat to the leveler and begin to dig into the tire more and more with increased height.  I'm wondering if this hurts the tread or sidewall, especially if the trailer remains in one spot for a long time, ex: winter storage
2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

Comments

• Options
    TennTimTennTim Member Posts: 8
    I've wondered the same thing. I was also concerned about toeing in or out the axle and wheel in storage scenarios since it's hard to get it to lift dead center. I believe the axle manual says to have the wheels off the ground (lifting and supporting only by the frame) for storage situations. I use mine only for camping. 
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Four years of use and I have never had any issues.

Trailer tires are designed a bit differently than regular car tires in that while they don't always handle heat as well, thus the lower speed ratings, they are designed to handle loads better with more robust sidewalls.

The BAL leveler is not designed for winter storage, as you would not be doing what you want to do with it.  Many people lift their trailers for long term storage because the concrete or asphalt it is sitting on will draw moisture out of the tires, causing dry rot.  You would lift the entire trailer and use frame jacks instead, bringing the tires off the ground.  For this we are talking very long term storage, if you are going to be moving the trailer, say once every month or so, it is not a concern.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    I was a little concerned about the pressure that might be exerted on the wheel bearings by the BAL in high lift situations. Then we met some fellow tab owners that have their trailer hiked up fairly high whenever it is sitting for long periods. They have not had any troubles because of it. I think because all the pressure is on the tire and tires being flexible prevents any awkward twisting at the wheel bearing.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base