Options

Honda Pilot FWD as a tow vehicle?

Hi all!
My husband and I are anxious to purchase a 2018 T@B S 320, but first need to make sure our 2016 Honda Pilot FWD can handle it!   We know what the liturature says (yes), but prefer to hear from those who have experienced it first hand! We live in the Phoenix, AZ area, so the only way out of this valley is up some pretty steep mountains! My husband thinks we should trade it in for the AWD Pilot... but would rather put the $ into the T@B!
Thank you!! 

Comments

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    edited July 2017
    The AWD really is only going to help if you plan on winter camping or going off in the boonies. The T@B is a pretty light trailer and all Pilots come with the same motor so you will save a bit of weight on your TV by staying with your FWD Pilot.   
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited July 2017
    That said about AWD, my V6 2006 AWD Rav4 was the only vehicle that was able to tow my T@B up wet grass, slippery hill to a campsite on private property. Everyone else had to be towed via tractor. Made me proud of the little TV. Other than pride, I think FWD is just fine.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    I tow with a 2015 pilot with no problems. 
  • Options
    duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    We own a 2017 Honda Pilot FWD and have had no issues. We've made three trips with the 2017 Pilot, with the last one being 11 days and covered 7 states throughout the northeast. We did not have any issues. Average mpg towing our 2016 T@B Max S was around 19.4mpg.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Am I reading the specs correctly from Honda?
    The FWD model with tow package is rated for 3500 lbs while the AWD model is rated for 5000 lbs?

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    BillReddingBillRedding Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2017
    @ TabberJohn:    Yes, only the 2016+ AWD Pilot model -- with the "tow package" -- is rated for 5000lbs. Otherwise, even the AWD is 3500lbs rated only. Earlier model Pilots (2015 back) were rated 4500lbs max (IIRC).

Note: There is no official "tow package" listed for the Honda Pilot (at least there wasn't when I got mine (2016 EX-L AWD), but what they DO have & install on Pilots may as well be called a tow-package:

1. OEM towing hitch (fits neatly into the rear bumper AND is higher off the ground than aftermarket products such as Curt, Reese, etc.) so you have more from-the-pavement clearance.

2. Trailer wiring harness to connect to the Pilot's wiring in the (left rear wall panel) and 7-pin socket (also nicely integrated into the tow hitch plate).

3. Transmission cooler.

No power-steering cooler is needed as Pilots have electric "drive-by-wire" steering.

The OEM Honda hitches (or Curt, Reese, etc.) are REAL EASY to install on a 2016+ Pilot as all the holes are already there for it and easily accessible: No drilling and/or fishing bolts through chassis/frame holes with a wire (as I had to do on my 2006 Honda CRV). It's the transmission cooler that takes a while to install (same as on any SUV I'd guess).

I had my "tow-package" installed at the dealer when I bought the Pilot, so the higher cost for the OEM "tow package" (compared to finding the OEM parts and doing it yourself or, just going with a Curt, Reese or whatever) was just put onto my Pilot's sales contract. After all, what's another $1K+ for the OEM tow-package (including dealer installation $$$ labor rates) when the Pilot was $43K?

Nuttin!  ;-)

And I DID want OEM all-the-way, not aftermarket...

So I got it all IN WRITING that the "tow package [listing the 3 required components] to be ordered and installed by dealer" was included if there was any "misunderstanding" after the sale -- there wasn't. They ordered the "package" and installed it within the week after I picked up the Pilot.

-- BR

• Options
    DockguyDockguy Member Posts: 14
    We have a 2017 T@B S Max and tow with a 2016 FWD Honda Pilot.  We live in SC and have towed as far as Naples,FL so far with no problems.  We get about 17 mpg with a V6 engine.  I am adding a friction sway bar just to use on highway travel as the big trucks pass by fast and can give it a little sway when at 65 mph.  
  • Options
    IAjules_KSmikeIAjules_KSmike Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all so much for your help and insight! Hopefully we'll see you on the road soon! 
  • Options
    Our 2009 Pilot is the touring model and it came from the factory with the towing package : receiver hitch, extra transmision cooler and power steering cooler and 7 pin connector. We had to get the brake control put in at an RV dealer. We were at the Honda dealers last week and none of Hondas SUV's come with factory tow packages any more. Looks like the wiggle foot rear hatch opening feature might not work with a hitch on the vehicle.
  • Options
    BooRadleyBooRadley Member Posts: 39
    For what it's worth, we burned out the transmission of our 2008 Pilot towing our Outback. Granted, we live in the Rockies. We didn't have the factory tow package, but we did add a transmission cooler. We now tow with an F150.
    2016 Outback
  • Options
    We were mostly disappointed with the poor gas mileage and the high revs going up steep hills. And we wanted something we could put everything in to and have room to spare.Hence the diesel transit van we use now. The 2008 Pilot was the last year before the 2009 Pilot came out, a brand new model. Everything was made heavier duty, bigger brakes, and an entire new drivetrain including transmission. We traded in a 2005 Acura MDX after it had a third transmission put in to it under warranty. 2008 Pilot-2005 MDX- same drivetrain including a very weak transmission.
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I tow with a 2014 Honda Odyssey rated for 3500# without any issues, but I have no experience towing in mountains.