Options

Converter fan constantly runs

TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
I've asked this before and have gotten mixed responses.  So forgive me for bringing this up again.  This is my third summer with my camper.  It's. '15 CS-S Max.  It sits in the driveway most of the time and I used to have it plugged into shore power and "driveway camp."  The second summer and this summer I notice that my converter fan runs non-stop with shore power.  I have read threads that say it will run until the battery is charged (even with shore power) and then shut off.  I discovered las year that I have no battery.  Whether it was stolen or never installed I do not know as I have always used shore power or my tow vehicle.  So now I have disconnected it from shore power and only plug in when I am doing something in the camper. What should I do?  I can't believe it is normal to run all the time.  Should I pull the fuse?  Is there a "switch" or something I can flip to tell it that there is no battery to charge? Help!  The last thing I want is an expense to replace the fan.    Thank you.
martha in VT 

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    As far as I know, the fan runs when it's hot to cool off components. 

I'm sorry your battery was stolen. The dealer is obligated to put in a battery because of the weight of the trailer and electric brakes, so unless you bought it used, I'm pretty sure it was there when towed off the lot (if you bought it used and the people didn't include it or tell you why it's so important - shame on them). The emergency braking system will not work if your camper becomes separated from your tow vehicle without a battery - dangerous situation).

There's no switch to turn it off. The fan runs on shore power and battery power. It doesn't matter. I'm not sure your fan would be the issue if your converter is starting to have a problem. You can always unplug the camper from shore power to give your converter a break. When you get a new battery before you tow it next, give it an overnight charge off a regular battery charger, then install. Perhaps a cable lock of some sort might be in order if people are swiping batteries in your area.

Keep us updated!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited July 2017
    Check your frig it may be on 12 volt that would cause that fan to run continuously
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2017
    Thank you, Ratkity, for the information. I did buy it new and will look into getting a new battery. 

Dalehelman, thank you as well. The frig is off. 

Martha