Options

Need tips on removing the air conditioner filter for cleaning

I am looking for tips on how to remove the air filter on my 2014 MAX S air conditioner. The unit is surrounded by trim molding and it looks like this may need to be taken off to get at the front cover. Is this the correct step?
John D. 
2014 TAB M@X S series

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Tardis,

I ran into the same problem, and was stumped for a while.

The filter slides out on the right, but the bathroom wall is in the way! 

I found that the filter will bend as you pull it out and put it back in.

You probably should do it when the Tab isn't freezing, just in case, but I've pulled ours out a few times, without problem.

Sliding it back in is a little tricky, but can be done, carefully manipulating the screen so it stays in the channels.

-- 
    Chan
    2014 'S' Maxx

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I sent this on to the factory as I'm sure others are perplexed and it is something that will need to be addressed if it's inaccessible.  I will post any feedback or suggestions that I receive.

Thanks for the heads up! 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
    I appreciate your help. It looks like I will have to take off the wood trim, then take off the front grill (asuming I can get to the screws) from the unit to get to the filter (assuming I can get to the screws). Kind of a pain to dismantle the front just to clean a filter. 
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Here's the YouTbe video that was posted today:

Check it out:

Mike Smith
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for help on this. I was able to get it out. I thought it was a more brittle plastic so I was hesitant. The video shows it is pretty flexible.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    After parking the camper yesterday after our 6th night in our T@B, my wife looks at the AC and says, "Man, the AC filter sure is filthy, how do we get it out." I explained the procedure described above to her. Then she says, "why not just take the vacuum attachment and just vacuum over the front of the AC unit without taking it out." Can anyone think of a reason why this would not clean the filter sufficiently? I don't think that ours has as many horizontal bars across the front as the one in the video.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I pulled mine out, vacuumed it off (only broke the frame in one spot) and it took more effort to put it back in.

I think vacuuming it out is worth a try. You'll be removing the dust from the direction it was sucked in. Tell us how it works. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Pulled mine out this AM - Turned out to be pretty easy. Only problem puttin it back in was it hung up on a grill screw. Once I discovered what the hangup was, slipped right in.
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I tried sliding it out before I was going to vacuum it while it was still in the unit, and was surprised at how easy it was to get in and out. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY