Options

Brake Controllers vs Brakes on 2017 T@B

marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
So here is a quick question... when I had my Escape and pulled, it didn't have a 'tow package' so I had to add a tow bar, 7-pin connector, and a brake controller.  Now that I have a new 2017 F150 with a tow package (no brake controller) my truck dealer doesn't think I need a brake controller because 1st the amount of weight I'm towing and 2nd, the 7-pin already goes back to the T@B's brakes and responds.  In other words the only thing I would need a brake controller for is to adjust the braking system if needed. 

Any thoughts on this? I'm getting lots of different opinions (and yes, I know the laws vary in each state, but...)  Maybe someone could talk it over at nCamp to find the exact answer since the new T@Bs (mine is a 2017 S model) have electronic brakes installed.
M@rilyn
Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
But still passionate about the brand!

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There is a law in every U.S. state that says you need electric brakes on trailers weighing over 1000 or 1500# with an emergency brake-away switch if you lose the trailer. Weight amount varies by State. The document I looked at may have been older and some States may have modified weight limits or requirements, but I wouldn't pull anything more than 30% of the TV weight without electric brakes, and I wouldn't pull anything over 50% without a sway and weight distribution hitch (I'm referring to big campers.. not T@Gs or T@Bs of any kind).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    edited July 2017
    Marilyn, the 7 pin does not feed straight back into the brakes. It's a connection that's made thru a brake controller. It's what decides how much voltage to send to the brakes based on inertia.  Bottom line, you need one inorder to have any brakes at all.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Marilyn, the 7 pin does not feed straight back into the brakes. It's a connection that's made thru a brake controller. It's what decides how much voltage to send to the brakes based on inertia.  Bottom line, you need one inorder to have any brakes at all.
    That answers it... Thanks!
    As for the states laws, AZ is 3000#, but I'll be safe than sorry!!  
    M@rilyn

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    The brake controller is an additional option that can be added to the tow package. If you do not specify that option, you do not have any brake control or any voltage going to the brakes on the trailer. You need an aftermarket controller.That being said the factory controller might be available as a dealer installed accessory. They look much better than the aftermarket ones and the amount of brake power to the trailer shows up on the screen on the dash when you adjust it. 
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    Sorry, I threw in a search result that shows F150's with optional built in brake controllers. Marilyn said in the original post she doesn't have one...

I tried just to delete the post, but couldn't......

KBaggins1 said:
    The brake controller is an additional option that can be added to the tow package. If you do not specify that option, you do not have any brake control or any voltage going to the brakes on the trailer. You need an aftermarket controller.That being said the factory controller might be available as a dealer installed accessory. They look much better than the aftermarket ones and the amount of brake power to the trailer shows up on the screen on the dash when you adjust it. 
    Thanks. Got a quote from the dealer and just for that reason alone I'm going to take and have them do it
    M@rilyn

• Options
    I've heard good things so far about the Ford integrated brake controller. Let us know how you like it! I'm thinking Ford is progressing way ahead in options and programming these days in their trucks - the trailer parking, the auto getting out of stuck sand (gotta see that YouTube) and the brake controller built in.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Hope the oem Ford setup is better than the GM deal. You CANNOT add a oem brake controller to a GM truck after it is built. Won't work. Something about ecm  factory programming.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I added a prodigy 3 to my 2015 GMC Canyon without an issue. It's not integrated into the ECM like the Ford's, but works great.
  • Options
    Hope the oem Ford setup is better than the GM deal. You CANNOT add a oem brake controller to a GM truck after it is built. Won't work. Something about ecm  factory programming.
    Ford will add an OEM brake controller after built but not the trailer parking feature.  :|
    M@rilyn

• Options
    edited July 2017
    marilyncp said:
    Ford will add an OEM brake controller after built but not the trailer parking feature.  :|
    Awww.. That is the coolest thing I've seen. I wish I'd kept the YouTube link to "I'm stuck in sand" automatic feature that gets the vehicle unstuck. The guy in the truck didn't believe it would work and his buddy kept saying, "just wait". I'll see if I can find it... Oh, it's called "crawl control" and on a lot of Toyota trucks.
  • Options
    My Ford dealer just installed a new brake controller yesterday... thank you all for your excellent advice.  
    M@rilyn

• Options
    marilyncp said:
    My Ford dealer just installed a new brake controller yesterday... thank you all for your excellent advice.  

Picture?
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    phulishcatphulishcat Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2017
    not that it matter as it looks the issue has been resolved. But I have noticed that many sales people will tell a buyer that there is a break controller integrated with a tow package on new trucks. I was told this at point of sale on my Colorado, and was re told this over and over again up till I personally bought a break controller because my "integrated" controller didn't trigger the breaks. At one point during this escapade I took the Colorado with trailer down to the dealer and while I was in front of them pressing the brakes without the T@B breaks engaging they had the courage to say " yea they are working, the breaks are just silent".

Long story short. You don't have trailer breaks working without a controller!
    and Dealers and sales people can be really stubbornly dumb.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    marilyncp said:

Picture?
    Best picture I can give you... it is incorporated into the dash, programed to work with my tow package.  Very easy to use as it displays information on the screen over the steering wheel.   They explained to me how to test the brake controller once hitched to verify all is working correctly.

M@rilyn

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    Same one we have in our Ford Transit van. Works great and nothing hanging under the dash to bang our knees on. Having the dash display makes it that much better.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    Holy moly! We're leaving for a test run at a local lake tomorrow morning and knew nothing about needing a brake controller! I checked on Texas law and it is not required for trailers less than 4500 lbs., so we won't be outside the law but I do want to be safe, so we'll look into getting one next week. Ouch! Our wallet is hurting right now after stocking up on everything. This is not good news, but is better than finding out the hard way.

Gail & John 

• Options
    Holy moly! We're leaving for a test run at a local lake tomorrow morning and knew nothing about needing a brake controller! I checked on Texas law and it is not required for trailers less than 4500 lbs., so we won't be outside the law but I do want to be safe, so we'll look into getting one next week. Ouch! Our wallet is hurting right now after stocking up on everything. This is not good news, but is better than finding out the hard way.

Open up your owners manual, it will tell you what your tv manufac suggests should be the weight of trailer before a brake controller is used. Probably around 1500#
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited September 2017
    When the topic of brake controllers comes up, I often see some pretty expensive units being suggested. 
    I've been completely happy with the Tekonsha Primus IQ, which sells online for less that 100USD.  If you don't believe me, check the reviews on Amazon.  Lots of happy customers. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90160-Primus-Electronic-Control/dp/B001P11SCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504884772&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tekonsha+primus+iq&psc=1

Also, here is the video of how to install on a 2014 Caravan. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0dT23a9RcY

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    Yeah, you definitely need a brake controller if towing with a minivan. As mentioned above, it's not just what your local laws require, but also what is required by your tow vehicle. Surprised your dealer did not set you up with one when purchased.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    Only reason we got rid of our brake controller is that new TV is a truck that comes with it built it.   Be safe!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    rkj__ said:
    When the topic of brake controllers comes up, I often see some pretty expensive units being suggested. 
    I've been completely happy with the Tekonsha Primus IQ, which sells online for less that 100USD.  If you don't believe me, check the reviews on Amazon.  Lots of happy customers. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90160-Primus-Electronic-Control/dp/B001P11SCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504884772&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tekonsha+primus+iq&psc=1

Also, here is the video of how to install on a 2014 Caravan. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0dT23a9RcY

Thanks for the info on the Tekonsha! It's on sale today for $69.35 so I went ahead and ordered. I don't think my husband is too keen on getting under the van so we'll need to find someone to install it.

Gail & John 

• Options
    jason330i said:
    Yeah, you definitely need a brake controller if towing with a minivan. As mentioned above, it's not just what your local laws require, but also what is required by your tow vehicle. Surprised your dealer did not set you up with one when purchased.
    We didn't install the hitch at the dealer because they wanted too much money, so we had it done at U-Haul. They did the wiring harness, so I'm surprised that they didn't mention the brake controller.

Gail & John