Options

New life for old drill batteries.

DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
Ran into this trick while installing my Alde high altitude kit.  Had two dead Ryobi batteries and found this YouTube.  I plugged the charger into a power strip and switched it on and off.  One came back to life on the first try, but the other one took 10-15 on/off cycles, but now both work fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GfPKg05ZIU
2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90

Comments

• Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    Interesting...and everyone lived!

That will save me in the future.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I just did this today with the same battery/charger combo. It worked, at least insofar as the error cleared out and three battery took a charge. I'm skeptical that it is "as good as new" but gladly milk whatever additional life I can out of those expensive paperweights!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    After 5 minutes of plugging and unplugging a DeWalt 20V lithium......it didn’t work on this one. The charger is good as it is charging a known good 20V DeWalt lithium battery now. Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Verna, the chemistry and make up of lithium and NiCad rechargeable batteries are different and do not respond the same to wear and tear. NiCads get "fuzzies" on the internal connections that need to be removed. Lithium uses up the internal structures that make up the design and therefore cannot be revived.  
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @larrygon. It was worth a try.

It does cost around $150 for two 5AH DeWalt batteries, but they’re great for the hedge trimmer, string trimmer, blower, drills and jigsaw. I may have to break down and purchase a couple more as the two 1AH that came with the drill and driver are dead. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”