Maiden Voyage and new Visor XL

Took the Outback on its maiden voyage a few weeks ago.  2,700 miles from Poulsbo, WA to Orange County, CA and back. 

2,700 miles, 10 days, 8 nights (we cheated and spent one night in a hotel...105 degrees in Redding CA was a bit too much). And everything worked like a charm. 

Two adults and 3 dogs (two standard poodles and a little mix dog fit perfectly).  A/C was a life saver. 

Regrettably, we received our visor after we got home from the trip, but it does look good...if not a bit loose.  Does it look right to you?

It was a great trip and we are busy planning trip number 2. 

Charles, Dee and the Dogs, Poulsbo WA

2017 Silver on Silver T@B S Outback

2017 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It looks fine to me. If you take the guy lines straight down to the ground to tent pegs, it will keep the visor from flipping over the T@B with a gust of wind.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    We put our lines in the keder rail unless it is REALLY windy for exactly what Verna said... it flips over the T@B in big wind gusts.  But yours does look looser than ours, even when our lines are in the rail, especially that front corner.  We can take a look at it at the Fall J@m in Port Worden ;)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    They may have to adjust back and forth in the rail to get it tighter, or the pole missed the pocket in the visor and is sorta inside the material (I did that until I found the pocket).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    getting the pole in the pocket is a real challenge.  Also, getting it out when taking the visor down.  I thought the visor might stretch a bit and make it easier but it has not (yet).  I have tried a couple different ways to get the pole in but it still is a challenge.  Not sure about just leaving it outside the pocket and wedged next to the keder rail. ?????
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @drpprmt, leave about 6" of the Keder rail rope (I don't know what else to call it) out of the rail as you are inserting the poles. Make sure the front end of the pole is as far as it can go in the sleeve. Put the rear rubber end of the pole against the side of the T@B or the plastic pieces (be careful!) and gently push the pole into the sleeve. This is the only way I can get mine inside the sleeve and pocket. Be sure to reposition the Keder rail rope so it is inside the railing when done. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
  • beedubbeedub Member Posts: 1
    drpprmt said:
    getting the pole in the pocket is a real challenge.  Also, getting it out when taking the visor down.  I thought the visor might stretch a bit and make it easier but it has not (yet).  I have tried a couple different ways to get the pole in but it still is a challenge.  Not sure about just leaving it outside the pocket and wedged next to the keder rail. ?????
    I don't know if this would work for the larger visor, but for our smaller one I put the pole all the way into its sleeve and pocket before feeding the rope into the keder rail. It's much easier to get the pole all the way through when you're pulling the sleeve onto the pole like putting on a sock. Makes getting the end into the pocket easier, too. Be careful handling it now, because you're holding a sail! Feed the end into the keder rail and it should slide easily all the way over the arc. (I would not recommend leaving the end outside the pocket. It can scratch the finish, even with the rubber end.)
  • pingncpingnc Member Posts: 25
    I found that if I flip the visor up over the t@b the pole is much easier to slip into  the pocket then pull it down with the lines and slide them into the rail. An extra line down to the ground with a tent stake helps a lot

2018 T@B 400 (P@t's Condo), Silver and Black, TV 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab, Phil & Pat in Waynesville, NC
  • foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    I am heading out tomorrow on a three day trip to the Blanco River and the forecast calls for an 80% to 90% chance of rain most of that time.  I would like to use my XL visor so I have a place for the camp table and grill (and chairs).  Does the visor hold up in pretty heavy rain or should I just use the covered picnic table?  Not expecting any strong winds.
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We have had ours up in heavy rain.  My primary concern are high winds as the fiberglass rod will bend, split and break.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @MortyandDottie how did your 3-way fridge hold up in the heat?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • MortyandDottieMortyandDottie Member Posts: 37
    @pingnc i used this tip very successfully.  Super easy to get the pole into the visor while flipping it up. 

@dsatwork we've really had no issues with the fridge.  I will say the exterior vent ( we have 2017/2018 with vent on passenger side) gets pretty hot when it is hot out and if you have the door open...essentially blocking the vent.  Also a word of caution...don't turn the fridge up too cold on shore power.  it easily gets cold enough to freeze items. 
    Charles, Dee and the Dogs, Poulsbo WA

2017 Silver on Silver T@B S Outback

2017 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @MortyandDottie, for some of us, frozen produce has become a fine art! :rofl: I'm learning how to use it to my advantage. However partially frozen hard boiled eggs are highly overrated!  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Yes...  frozen apples are the best...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI