Options

NuCamp Screen Door Upgrade Installation in 2013 T@B Maxx (inside kitchen)

I purchased the screen door from NuCamp (about $200 total with shipping) and installed it today. I emailed NuCamp but they don't provide instructions, and searched this forum and Facebook and couldn't find specific installation photos for my particular T@B, so wanted to post them here. I found conflicting reports of having to cut countertops and cabinet doors. Note: Your T@B may be different from mine, so take these as documentation of what I did to make it work in my trailer, which has an interior kitchen (not a clamshell). Your T@B is probably different, but hopefully this gives at least an idea of what could be required to do this mod.

I received from NuCamp:
1 screen door
2 metal brackets, each had two screws permanently set into them (do not mess with these)
2 long self tapping screws
2 short wood screws, flat head
8 self tapping screws (about 1")
2 plastic covers

I removed the fire extinguisher and knob from the lower right floor cabinet.

I cut the velcro from the areas that I wanted the bracket to sit flush with the wall.

After cutting. Note the large gap between the metal and the wall. This is hidden by the velcro. If you remove all the velcro, you will have this hideous gap, which is why I only removed the portion of where I wanted the bracket to sit.

I removed the cabinet door:

I removed the fridge door, one screw. This was because I couldn't get a good angle on the self-tapping screw on the left bracket.

Right bracket install, 3 self tapping screws (came with door):

Left bracket install, 3 self tapping screws (came with door)

Hung door onto screws that are attached to brackets (each bracket has two screws that come pre-mounted):

Used provided long self tapping screws to anchor upper left and upper right corners to wall:

Snapped on provided end caps

Decided against installing two floor screws, these felt like they were not needed and I didn't have a long enough bit to fully seat the screws and felt like I was messing up the delicate fuzz of the track. So I didn't install the two screws into the floor. I saved them for later, in case I changed my mind.

Relocated fire extinguisher just a little bit to clear the new screen door.

I decided to just move upper cabinet door over, versus cutting it. There was enough room and while this does create an asymmetrical cabinet gap, it bothered me less than cutting the cabinet door. Of course, I can always change my mind later and cut the door to get a symmetrical gap. But then the cabinet doors wouldn't match each other. So I figured best to just move the door and see how that works. What is important, is that there was enough clearance for the door to swing open without cutting it.

Here's the final fridge door gap:

and countertop clearance:

trimmed my carpeting:

and final photos:

Special thanks to @Dalehelman for being home and willing to describe how his screen door was attached. It's also important to note that Dale's T@B was very different from mine, in that his countertop had a notch in it for the screen door. So it's possible that others will need to cut cabinets and cut countertops - just in my particular case, I didn't. I wound up with 2 extra self tapping screws and 2 wood screws left over.

Jill

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @AldebaranJill, This is a photo perfect tutorial. Including the "why's" is so often left out. I appreciated this post and T@bitat came with a screen door!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @AldebaranJill, Nice instructional post! I'm sure it will help folks that have wanted to do this mod. Great pictures by the way. Just thinkin' we're going to have to put @Dalehelman on call. Glad he was there to help you, as he's helped so many of us! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    Twojgrams said:
    @AldebaranJill, This is a photo perfect tutorial. Including the "why's" is so often left out. I appreciated this post and T@bitat came with a screen door!
    Thanks for noticing the "why's" - I think that with all mods, many times the why's are way more important to understand than the what's... especially since our trailers are all so different. :-)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452

ericnliz said:
    @AldebaranJill, Nice instructional post! I'm sure it will help folks that have wanted to do this mod. Great pictures by the way. Just thinkin' we're going to have to put @Dalehelman on call. Glad he was there to help you, as he's helped so many of us! :)
    Yup, glad he just happened to be home and willing to go into his T@B. It doesn't seem too much to ask for a one page instruction handout to be included. Would have saved lots of time. Hopefully this helps other folks who have been contemplating a screen door upgrade to go ahead and do it. It's pricey, but a really nice upgrade.
    Seattle, WA