Options

Newbie to be...

4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
hello, folks...

was at the RV dealership, looking at what I might buy. T@bs/T@gs were not on my radar.  The t@b320 outback is now!  Waiting for my significant other to come back form vaca to Spain to give approval!  I have been lurking for a couple of weeks, but felt it was time to join the fray, so here I am.... 

phil
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356

Phil - "looking at what I might buy." implies you will be buying the trailer with your own cash.  Why wait for the Significant Other's approval?  And why is your S.O. on vacation in Spain without you?  Just do it man - the Outback is an awesome trailer!  

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome @4ncar! Maybe you've already begun exploring the categories at the right to gather info, it's loaded. And on page 3 of this forum, at least on my iPad, there's a thread Tabs or Tags, what should I do, that's full of discussion. Also a thread entitled Post up some shots, I found that by searching on, you guessed it-"post up some" in the search box on the right at the top of every page. I love that thread! Big decisions, have fun exploring!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Thanks! Yes, have been surfing most of the topics so when I do take possession, I can dive right in!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Congratulations and welcome @4ncar! Great choice! This forum either has the answers you will need, or someone knows how to get them! Lots of great folk here, too!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Tabaz said:

Phil - "looking at what I might buy." implies you will be buying the trailer with your own cash.  Why wait for the Significant Other's approval?  And why is your S.O. on vacation in Spain without you?  Just do it man - the Outback is an awesome trailer!  

Haha... I was supposed to go, but "work" held me back; the bain of own ones own company.  We've been together too long for me to surprise her with out her input...lol. I sent her some video links, so she knows what I've been up to, just need the final blessing.  I am a "retired mountaineer and big wall climber, so I have spent plenty of time in the back country, I intend to do so with the outback so I can bring "creature comforts" for her and myself.  I will be inquiring of those who have boondocked, off trail, but will do so later... for now, learning...
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Phil (with a capital "P") - so glad you took my post with the humor it was intended! You and yours will find the Outback a wonderful vehicle for off-beat exploration.  The higher ground clearance at the axle, the upswept rear end, the aluminum platform at the front, the spare tire rack - all contribute to increased access to rugged terrain.  Add the creature comforts of an indoor shower and toilet, sink and  stove, and Alde heater, well then, life is certainly good.  However, putting on my Dr. Phil hat on again for a moment, "4ncar" raises relationship questions concerning your tow vehicle.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    Phil (with a capital "P") - so glad you took my post with the humor it was intended! You and yours will find the Outback a wonderful vehicle for off-beat exploration.  The higher ground clearance at the axle, the upswept rear end, the aluminum platform at the front, the spare tire rack - all contribute to increased access to rugged terrain.  Add the creature comforts of an indoor shower and toilet, sink and  stove, and Alde heater, well then, life is certainly good.  However, putting on my Dr. Phil hat on again for a moment, "4ncar" raises relationship questions concerning your tow vehicle.
    4ncar became my internet "alter ego " in 2001 when I bought my Audi.  Since then numerous German engineered CARS. My trucks and toys have always been US brands. My first jeep was a '61 Willy's cj5, then a '76 wagoner (was a beast!) and am onto my second wrangler, both of which are/ were modified Rubicon's.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Phil - you really need to see an Outback in person.  I went to a local RV dealer looking to buy either a truck camper or Alpine fold-up.  Just so happened they had an Outback on the lot.  I was blown away by the quality construction and off-road capabilities.  Bought it on the spot.  After over 19 months of ownership, I am still in love with it.  However, I am a single camper of average height.  You need to see if this trailer meets you and yours' needs in those areas.  The only way to do this is seeing one in situ.
  • Options
    Whew - I was concerned you were going to tow the Outback with a Citroen or (God forbid) Alfa Romeo.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome and I hope the 'other half' finds the Outback as wonderful as you have!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @4ncar, Welcome. Sounds like you've made a wise choice for your "style" of adventures. Kinda curious what you do plan on towing the T@B with though. @Tabaz , You cracked me up with the Alfa Romeo comment! Kinda puts an MG Midget out of the mix too, huh? =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    @4ncar, Welcome. Sounds like you've made a wise choice for your "style" of adventures. Kinda curious what you do plan on towing the T@B with though. @Tabaz , You cracked me up with the Alfa Romeo comment! Kinda puts an MG Midget out of the mix too, huh? =)

To answer you & Tabz:  My tow vehicle is an '09 JKU, aka: 4 door Jeep wrangler.  Its a rubicon(and yes, I have used it for its intended purpose!) with a number of mods, and has the factory tow package, but as I am preparing ...the 5 pin is being converted to 7 with brake controller, as we speak! :)

Tabz: I have seen one, up close & personal.  I too went looking at Aframes, or hybrids, but saw the T@Bs and quickly changed my mind!  I have my mind on a few mods already: 1) combining black & gray discharge, 2) pintal hitch conversion, possibly a lithium ion battery stack, but can get a straight answer as to whether the "stock" converter will charge the lithium batteries while on shore power...more research.  I suppose that's it for now; better to wait till I have one in my hands first! lol

2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    libertyolibertyo Member Posts: 33
    Hi 4ncar. Did ya do it? Is the outback yours?  I've owned my regular t@b for about 2 years now.  And wish I'd gotten the outback to begin with.  I'm in the process of switching out the axle for the outback lifted suspension as we speak.  Also adding the aluminum outback platform and the combined black & gray discharge.  Ready to upgrade my battery and was considering the 2-6 volt golf cart configuration, but... after researching Want lithium.  Yeah, those babies are expensive, but lithium is the way of the future.  Glad I don't have the battery monitor installed like new t@bs since probably wouldn't do its intended function given li shows a full charge until it's pretty much empty.  But Please let me know if you've gotten definitive info about compatibility with the converter in t@bs and any other decision making factors.  
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX, near Austin
  • Options
    @libertyo getting there... SO is home & we are going tomorrow so I can show her the coolness!  I did in fact hear back from the dealer, who said the converter would charge theLi battery... we'll see how it goes!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Hope it happens for you.  Love my t@b and will love it even more with a few upgrades. I'm gonna ck with nucamp to see what they think about the converter working with li.  Will let you know! 
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
  • Options
    @libertyo, please do...
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Ok, kids...SO gave the A-ok, and I put my deposit down...2018 T@bS outback is on the lot, and all mine.  I have a _ell week a head of me, so all going well, next weekend I'll take delivery! Very excited!:)
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Guess that deposit really makes you official. Welcome and congratulations.  Happy t@bbing. P.S. the lithium battery is interesting. Plz keep us informed. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Congratulations! Many wonderful adventures ahead!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Congratulations! Now the real fun begins!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @libertyo picked it up yesterday!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Awesomeness!!  You're gonna love your new home away from home.   I'm posting info about lithium battery on the other thread - not ready yet, dang it, going with 2- 6v golf cart batteries.  You may want to wait awhile since yours is brand new.  Betcha lithium ready to go before long.  Excited for your new adventures!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
     @libertyo the battery they gave my ..85ah..  :o I see agm or dual 6's in the near future...
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    Congratulations! 
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    4ncar said:
     @libertyo the battery they gave my ..85ah..  :o I see agm or dual 6's in the near future...
    85 ah is very good for a group 24 size battery.  I don't think going to an AGM of the same size will give you much, if any more capacity.  A dual battery setup gives a massive increase in ah.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    TabbieannecamperTabbieannecamper Member Posts: 32

If there is a diagram or precise instruction on how to wire in dual 6 volt batteries, where would a person find it? Thanks.

2015 T@b Max S- Rockford, IL

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641

If there is a diagram or precise instruction on how to wire in dual 6 volt batteries, where would a person find it? Thanks.

2015 T@b Max S- Rockford, IL

Go through this entire thread:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4936/golf-cart-batteries-install/p1

Lots of info, along with pictures, graphics, and explanations. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    rkj__ said:
    4ncar said:
    85 ah is very good for a group 24 size battery.  I don't think going to an AGM of the same size will give you much, if any more capacity.  A dual battery setup gives a massive increase in ah.

Relative to a dual 6volt and expected off grid use...I would think 85ah rather minute... no?
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I was told (take with grain of salt) that for a deep cycle group 24, match the wattage with the panel size (85 ah, 85W panel). That's an old rule of thumb and doesn't apply to the dual 6V batteries. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)