Options

New T@B 400 & Maiden Voyage

VickeyPVickeyP Member Posts: 47
We picked up our new T@B 400 at the dealership in Bradenton, Florida, yesterday, drove her home and backed into the driveway! Success! We had never towed a trailer before and faced rain and high wind warnings on the (very tall) Sunshine Skyway Bridge, so it was a trial by fire. First impressions - tows well (with sway bar), very roomy and well put together. She looks huge compared to T@Gs and 320 T@Bs but still small compared to all the rest. Today we load up, tomorrow get some drivers/towing training and soon thereafter take off on our maiden voyage. Thank you for all the knowledge and experience shared on this forum, you have helped us a lot. Stay tuned, more to come!

About to hitch up at Gerzeny's RV World -

Home in the driveway, charging up -

Cheers!
2018 T@B 400 Sw@llowt@il  - 2015 Highlander - Dunedin, Florida
"Not all that wander are lost..." J. R. R. Tolkien

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Looking forward to your adventures!! Your 400 still looking commanding and proud next to that Class A. Very much 'ready for action'. Love all the people who post their new camper picts. Safe travels!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 909
    Let the t@bventures begin!  
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @VickeyP Congratulations! And welcome! These 400's are such good looking trailers!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    WanderinginWonderWanderinginWonder Member Posts: 47
    Happy to see another 400 joining the adventures!
    2018 T@B 400 Silver and Black "Luxo" / 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Jeremy and Andrea - Southport, NC
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcomes! Packing today was enlightening - so much storage space, such nice light, such a fast cooling AC! Looks like we CAN have toast and coffee in the morning after all, whew.

• Options
    AnnieGoGoGoneAnnieGoGoGone Member Posts: 1
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    you are gonna love the 400!  Enjoy as much as we do!!

2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Welcome and congratulations. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @VickeyP, Very nice, and thanks for sharing. I had to chuckle at the "I brought too much stuff though.." comment. :)  Something I'm pretty sure ALL of us are guilty of at one time or another. Better too much than not enough, and you'll get it figured out the more you use your new toy. I noticed you have Florida posted for your home. We're hoping you and yours stay safe & well.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Looks like a beautiful camper for sure...  You will find as we did, that what you bring and how your T@b is set up inside and out is a constantly changing experience...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options

Fall color starting early here in southwestern Pennsylvania. So beautiful, we decided to stay an extra week. Our best two adds so far have been an electric kettle (we love our coffee in the morning) and hooks by the door for keys. The door pockets work great for bug spray, sunscreen and aluminum foil (had to get just the right size). 

• Options
    @VickeyP, Thanks for sharing the photos. Sounds like you're getting it down pretty well, and getting settled in. Be safe out there & have fun!!! ( By the way..." No matter where 'ya go, there 'ya are!") ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Congrats @VickeyP! You are camping in my backyard! It's a beautiful state park.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    edited May 2018

Our summer has been spent in our 2018 T@B-400 rambling around in the eastern/northeastern states from North Carolina to Indiana to Maine towing comfortably on interstates and back roads across flat lands and through the Appalachian Mountains with our 2008 F-150 5.4L V8 with no anti-sway devices, just the original equipment tow package. We already had the F-150 when we purchased the 400. You need to evaluate your own tow vehicle’s capability but know that many dealers recommend the anti-sway devices just as a matter of course, and something else they can sell you, just as many will try to sell you an extended warranty. There’s more profit in the extras!

The Alde 3010 in the T@B-400 is the same system as nüCamp installs in their T@B-320 models. Since we are currently on a full hook-ups site, the two of us just indulged in long hot showers and had plenty of hot water. The 400 does have a generous 30 gallon fresh water tank.  Good luck with your decision making. The two of us are thrilled with our decision to go with the T@B-400.

Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    @skwhee, I just wanted to comment on your always candid & enthusiastic comments on the new T@B 400. Since you "full time", your insights are valuable info to those either being new owners, or those contemplating the purchase of the new T@B 400. Thanks & keep the great info coming!!! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited May 2018

We've not used a sway bar and have done well without it.
  • Options
    Justin_in_SeattleJustin_in_Seattle Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2018

What I am concerned about is the sway bar. Is it necessary?.

In the limited amount of travel we've done (mostly on flat land & mostly highway) we haven't needed an anti-sway hitch. Even getting passed on the highway by big trucks doesn't seem to faze the 400.

Before each trip we use a tongue scale to check the tongue weight is 10%-15% of the Tab 400's weight. Currently it seems to average about 400 lb with the fresh tanks half full and the other tanks dry. Supposedly keeping the weight just right helps the stability.

However, we haven't towed in truly windy conditions yet.

To be on the safe side, we're going to add an anti-sway hitch anyway, mostly for the weight-distribution aspect, but also to avoid any potential problems driving some of the mountain roads here in Washington. It can get windy in the mountains.

For example, for people with a normal fear of heights driving on this road on the side of Mt Rainier is scary even in a normal car. I imagine it's much more scary when towing an RV. It might be hard to tell from the photo, but the drop-off on the left side is perhaps 1,000 ft almost straight down if you roll off the road here.  There are sometimes large rocks in the road, as you can see in the photo. You can rest assured I'll be double and triple-checking the brake controller functionality before that drive. :)

2018 nuCamp T@B 400  +  2016 BMW X1 tow vehicle
  • Options
    After 3 weeks in beautiful Ohiopyle State Park, we have stayed a few nights in our first KOA, Uniontown Riveredge, Connellsville, PA. It is very nice with fast WIFI, clean bathrooms and showers and - best of all - right on a great trike (bike) trail. Here are a few shots to see setup and prove it happened

• Options
    For photos see T@B FORUM ON Facebook. @Verna, what do I do after I send the photos to myself to make them smaller? 

• Options
    @VickeyP
    if you are using an iPhone, lightly touch and hold the photo in the email until a menu appears then touch the Save button. If you send more than one, you'll be able to save them all to your Photos and you can post them to Forum. 

Glad to hear you have had some great experiences in your 400. Have you yet resolved your Alde heat issues?

Happy Trails!
  • Options
    @skwhee still no heat from the Alde but the Dometic is taking good care of us on the few nights we need it. 44 is the coldest we have seen so far. Is your Alde still keeping you all warm? We head back home in a couple of weeks, I’ll work on it then, too much fun to have now

• Options

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @VickeyP, thanks for sharing your adventures.  I see by your signature that you're from Dunedin, Fl. We spent the first 11 days of August there at the Blue Moon rv resort. We have friends and family nearby in Safety Harbor. I love the Causeway, and have walked its length at sunrise many times. It's also one of our favorite places to watch the sunset. Hope you and yours were unscathed by Irma. We have been visiting your city for more than 20 years. Maybe we'll cconnect sometime. Enjoy!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    @dragonsdofly we love the Causeway and Honeymoon Island too! The clean-up from Irma continues, huge stacks of debris can be seen around the area. However, roads and bike trails are open and most seems back to normal in our sleepy little corner of the world. Nice to be home, lots of gardening to catch up on

• Options
    @Verna Is this photo a good size for posting? I emailed it to myself and selected Small but it did not tell me the actual size.

Thafnk you!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @VickeyP, that is a marvelous size. Thank you!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

Feeling sad today - as you know, we love our new T@B 400, but a personal issue forces us to part with her way too soon. You all have been with us since we picked her up on August 26, so I wanted to give you a heads up before posting further. I hope she finds a good home and another happy camper will soon enjoy many great t@bventures. Thank you again for your support and camaraderie.

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you...  Thank you for sharing your adventure. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world