For New Members (PLEASE READ) - Private Messages & Member Bulletin Board

nüCampnüCamp Posts: 17Administrator
edited November 2018 in Help - Computer & System

Three good things to know about and to consider regarding member privacy on the forum are as follows:

1. Private Messages - Private messages can be sent to others and you can do so by clicking on a member's screen name and selecting "message" button on the screen.  Only you and the individual you are communicating with can see this communication.

2. Member Bulletin Board - When you type inside the box shown in the photo it becomes "public information" that all others can see, either by clicking on your screen name or selecting the "activity" menu option at the top of the forum screen.  

3. Activity -  Comments posted on the member bulletin board become "public information" and can be seen by anyone who clicks on the activity menu.  

CAUTION - Protect all of your personal information (e.g., email address, phone number, credit card info, etc.) and use good judgement when posting to the  forum as it can be easily seen/obtained by anyone using the forum and across the Internet.

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Posts: 1,207Member
    edited March 22
    FOR AN IPAD! BUMP! Lots of new members! Historically, most members don't look at their own or the forum's Activity pages, so if you post there, your post may not be read by many folks, or may be missed if you're trying to reach out to a specific member. This category has lots of information re getting around here. Happy [email protected]! Judi
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    [email protected]@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘06 V8 4Runner 

• VernaVerna Posts: 4,980Administrator
    Okay, everyone. Please read. There’s a lot of missed opportunities to help others, plus there are lots of unanswered messages on the Activity Page (click on “Activity” at the top of the page).  There were hurt feelings this morning, too.

So, don’t type in the large box on the person’s profile page. Type in the smallest MESSAGE box in the upper right, otherwise, you won’t get your message answered. No one looks daily at the Activity page, so just try to remember to type in the small box. 

And no, I didn’t design this platform and I understand this is the “normal format”, so we have to live with it. 

Off my soapbox......
    Verna, Indianapolis, Indiana, but living full time in my [email protected] 400; 2019 [email protected] 400 Boondock Lite white/red; towed by a red 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD 4x4; [email protected] Administrator.  “If not now, when?”

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Posts: 3,720Moderator
    ATTENTION ALL NEW APPLICANTS AND MEMBERS!

This thread is essential reading.  A message started from your “Activity box” without addressing it to another member gets stuck in the Activity drop down.  Although public, it often goes unread as most members read new posts from the Home page.  If you use this area, you must address it to someone!

In addition, PLEASE RESIZE YOUR PHOTOS AS REQUIRED.  Search this topic on the forum and you will find plenty of options.

Sharon / 2017 [email protected] CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Cleveland Heights, Ohio

• jgram2jgram2 Posts: 1,207Member
    Listen up newbies!  There are a boatload of messages regarding [email protected] sales on the activity page, or bulletin board or whatever you care to call it. If you want to send a message to anyone on the forum, either post it on the thread, or if you want to send a PRIVATE message, tap their username and then TAP THE MESSAGE box to the RIGHT of that username. If you start writing in the large narrative box, your post goes to the activity board and lots of members don't ever look there. I worry that potential sales won't happen because of missed communications. Ok, I shouldn't shout. Perhaps I'll just go to bed. 'Night.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    [email protected]@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘06 V8 4Runner 

• ScottGScottG Posts: 2,744Moderator
    YEAH!!! WHAT SHE SAID!!!  ;-)
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 2,415Administrator
    BUMP!   ;) =)
    Mike Smith 
    Linden, Mi
    2015 [email protected] Max S
    Attached Image
    Hummmm, I guess this is a case where I should say something, too.....

PLEASE, PAY ATTENTION TO THIS POST!

Thank you....that is all.
    Verna, Indianapolis, Indiana, but living full time in my [email protected] 400; 2019 [email protected] 400 Boondock Lite white/red; towed by a red 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD 4x4; [email protected] Administrator.  “If not now, when?”

On my iPhone, I have an “in box” at the bottom of the Home page screen.  That is where I start a PM on the iPhone.  How about a screenshot of your Home page.  
    Sharon / 2017 [email protected] CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Cleveland Heights, Ohio

@tabstel, your inbox for Private Messages is at the bottom of your screen.  Look for the arrow pointing into an envelope. New messages will have a number for how many unread messages. 

• Per a PM with Verna, I was shown the PM box on the phone main screen.....but there is a but....the instructions above say to click on the persons name, then the PM box....this is what I was trying to do and could not find, hence all my posts.  Per Verna's response I realize the instructions are for a laptop or desk computer.....not a phone....could the phone instructions be added and the others noted as 'laptop' or something?  It would further assist others in how to PM someone.

Thanks and sorry for all the posts....
    httpvisitedstatesmapcomimageFLGANCOHTNsmjpg
    For your phone, Click the members ID that opens to their profile page.  Then locate the “in box” icon at the bottom of the screen. That should take you to where you will see New Message.  See if that helps.  I think Judi gave instructions regarding a tablet, perhaps.