Options

Ways to secure the back cabinet doors while traveling

TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
edited September 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
Right now, we use a elastic cord that works quite well to secure the doors in the back so that our things aren't scattered everywhere during travel.  I was surfing this morning before I will be given something to do and I found a blog talking about this product.   https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/invisible-rv-cabinet-latch-a-worthwhile-modification/
It looked kind of neat, though they sell for $37 dollars a piece.  Still it is an interesting idea.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00097FKO0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00097FKO0&linkCode=as2&tag=tfr0b-20
Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
T@bbey  Road   
Appleton,  WI

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,500
    While it is a neat concept, having to find and grab the "key" piece would drive me bonkers, and if that is misplaced then you are in another world of hurt. For me, that's also a steep price for a single cabinet lock. Just my .02.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    It comes as a set of five latches and two keys.  The keys are just magnets so you can use an appropriate sized replacement.  The keys can also be purchased for spares.  They can be stuck somewhere on the wall where there is a piece of steel.  If you read the article, when camp is set up, you can flip the red switch, disabling the latch.  This latch makes for a childproof option also...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    TerryV6, I'm looking for cabinet locks as well. My T@B has 8 cabinet doors, so price is a concern. I solved my upper kitchen door issue using spring loaded hinges and it now stays closed during road trips (although the original intent of the spring hinges was to keep the door open). My inclination right now is to try rare earth magnet devices. Need to locate a dealer so I can see them in person. Also going to scout out marine supplies, as boats have the same issue. Let us know when you've found a solution.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2017
    They have something similar and available at Walmart for a third of the cost.   This one uses the 3M tape and no drilling or tools needed.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I checked that out. 4 latches and 1 key for 13 dollars. Also searched Amazon and saw other companies as well.  Could either buy and extra key, or drill a hole and put it with your camper keys.  I like the drilless option.  For the price, I might give it a go. Better looking than cords.. 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Why these and not push latches?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2017
    jkjenn said:
    I'm sure that even with the current positioning of the front pull knob you could probably adapt the push style button (currently used in the 400's) for use with the T@B cabinets.  This is what I had in mind.   I've only had the contents of the rear cabinets come out once, when I hit an unexpected speed bump out in Lake Havesu City.  Not fun!!!  smilio7gif

Image result for Push button drawer locks
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    Didn't know these were an option to try.  The push button ones though,  involve drilling holes... In this concept, I see many styles of this out there
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI